• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eisners MegaMansion

LOL tstobb!!!!

Why do so many people hate rich/successful people? Is it jealosy? I am FAR from rich. Most of those who are rich are those who CHOOSE different paths than the rest of us. If someone CHOOSES to study business, CHOOSES to work extremely hard, CHOOSES to make themselves highly qualified, and CHOOSES a high stress/high responsibility/high liability job (in which they were offered due to their qualifications in which they worked very hard for) they shouldn't feel bad about accepting their salary. Along some of your lines of thinking, I should feel guilty for studying to be a biologist, which will NOT make me rich. I should feel guilty because I will never make enough money to run WDW so that everyone else can go for free and have their bar tab paid for.

I know that a lot of people do not approve of all of ME's decisions, including myself, but obviously he has made good decisions for the most part. How do I know this? He pulled the company through some very rocky times and my trips to WDW are still magical. I think that we should be careful about judging ME until we walk a mile in his shoes.

I would not say I am jealous, however, I am extremely resentful of rich people. 20 years ago, the average CEO made 42 times what the average production worker(insert cast member) made. Today that number is 500! I don't care how hard you work, how stressed you are, how much school you went through- no ones time is worth 500 times that of another. It has just gotten out of hand. This past year, we did not get a raise at the normal time that we usually do because of 'the poor economy'. 6 months later, they decided to bless us with a whopping 1.5% raise. What a joke. And the CEOs of the company 1 work for take home GOBS of money.
I don't understand where their sense of right and wrong and what is fair has gone to. How do they look at themselves in the mirror every day. How greedy can 1 person be? They can lay off people while making the remaining workers work overtime all in the name of making more money for THEMSELVES.
Look at the cast of Friends. 1 million dollars an episode??? Give me a break. Do you really think what they are doing is worth that? And who pays for it? The rest of us who are buying the products advertised on that show. i think there are other professions that contribute more to society(medical, caregivers, teachers, defense,ect) than CEOs or movie stars do. let them have their share of the pie.
I am not a commie, but come on, lets get real here.

come on now........if you were where the ceo is, you would do the same thing. if you say you would not, well, I would say that you may be a wood carver's son. Oh, btw, it is called capitalism.

Originally posted by sln88
And who pays for it? The rest of us who are buying the products advertised on that show.

You provided your own answer to relieve your resentment - STOP SUPPORTING THE PRODUCT IF IT OFFENDS YOU THAT MUCH!

let them have their share of the pie.
I am not a commie, but come on, lets get real here.

Let them HAVE their share of the pie - NEWSFLASH - that IS communism!

I an not saying that M.E. (or most CEOs) aren't overpaid BUT as long as I support the company & buy their products, I am continuing to support the structure of the company. I don't support professional sports for that very reason - I don't like to pay big $$$ for a ticket so I do without & if enough people did the same, there would be changes.

Precisely! Everyone has their own little "spending power." True, some of us have more than others.....but we all have choices. If people REALLY don't like something, they will not buy it. Those responsible individuals will offer feedback to the company. For instance, WDW obviously saw declining numbers of resort guests with the removal of EE. People responded through phone calls, email, etc. (but most importantly, by not staying on property) and POOF, EE is BACK!.

BTW, how much money is TOO much? This seems to me like a dangerous question. At what point should our earnings be "cut off?" I feel that I really have to pinch pennies right now to keep myself out of debt. Someone else, however, may feel that since I have enough money to own a computer and pay for an internet connection, that I have too much money and should be giving some of it away. It's all relative.

Originally posted by Another Voice
Comparing Eisner to the former management from Enron is unfair.

Eisner has taken far more money out of Disney than the people at Enron could have ever dreamed.

In one year alone Eisner's compensation was over three quarters of a billion dollars. Other years it's been only over half a billion, sometimes only a paltary quarter billion dollars. I've heard one guess that Eisner's total "compensation" from Disney is nearing $5 billion.

He went from not owning a single share of Disney stock to being the third largest shareholder - individual or institution. And all of those shares has been on the company's money too.

As for not being a crook in getting all that money - I think the widow that owns the rights to 'Winnie the Pooh' may have a different opinion...

And it's it like Eisner kept all that money for himself. A few choice words and his former friend Jeff Katzenberg gets a half billion. And a year on the job got Mike Ovtiz a quarter billion. At least Eisner is willing to share.

That's funny because I don't think ME is anywhere near the $5 Billion mark on the Forbes list of the world richest people, nor has he ever been.

Look at the cast of Friends. 1 million dollars an episode??? Give me a break. Do you really think what they are doing is worth that? And who pays for it? The rest of us who are buying the products advertised on that show. i think there are other professions that contribute more to society(medical, caregivers, teachers, defense,ect) than CEOs or movie stars do. let them have their share of the pie.
If somebody will pay them $1 million per episode, then they are worth it. That's how we do things here in capitalist countries. They aren't compensated by your evaluation of their "contribution to society," but by what the market will pay.

And just what makes you think that if the cast of Friends worked for, say, $100,000 an episode, that the network would charge any less to advertisers of products on their show? That price, also, is a result of supply and demand.

If CEO pay is too high, then it is up to shareholders to elect board members who will correct that situation.

Originally posted by Dznefreek
Explain $50.00 1 day tix, $7.00 to park, $5.00 for a 16 oz. beer.

Disney was proud to say that they did not raise tix price when USF and SW did but they raised the price on everything else!

But for $50.00 you get to stay in the parks all day:

$75.00 Avg. hockey ticket

$35.00 to Park in Manhatten (Ranger Game)

$8.00 for a beer

$118 and in 3 hours I'm home again

If CEO pay is too high, then it is up to shareholders to elect board members who will correct that situation.

I think you're absolutely right in principle. But the CEO compensation problem seems a bit out of control and I don't think your solution will happen anytime soon. Institutional shareholders have a lot of weight with the boards and I'm afraid the relationship between the executives, the board and large shareholders is working at cross purposes with the interests of small shareholders and the economy in general (I don't have any expertise, just my opinion).

I think it's similar to the problems that lead to the term limits movement. In theory, you can vote the bums out. But in practice there are a lot of institutional mechanisms and inertia in place to keep them in office in spite of it all.

Can somebody explain to me how someone with almost 5 billion in compensation over a short period of time is only worth 600 mil.

How do the interests of large shareholders differ from the interests of small shareholders?

Galahad, surely you don't advocate yet more governmental regulation to try to fix this problem.;)

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Can somebody explain to me how someone with almost 5 billion in compensation over a short period of time is only worth 600 mil.

As that great and wise prophet Patrick Ewing once said "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too"

I am jealous of one aspect of this. I would love to find a position where I could do a lousy or mediocre job and still get paid enormous amounts of money. :)

I suppose that an argument could be made that Eisner did well at first but lately...I would say that his performance is mediocre at best. Stock performance is enough by itself to convince me of this and yes, CEO's are held accountable.

Many of EnRon's crimes were common practice throughout the industry before Ken Lay's house of cards fell down.

Failing to be convicted does not necessarily equate to moral and ethical business practices.

Perhaps the other $4.4 billion went to the lawyers it must take to keep such a businessperson out of jail... or perhaps Michael has merely managed his presonal assets the same way he handled Disney's. Sure, it's still an impressive pile, but it could have been so much more.

Well, I would suggest...Yoda leh he, Yoda Leh He, Yoda Le He Ho! Those Swiss sure know a lot abot bank accounts...

:bounce:

Florida has a law that says the house can't be touched in any possible financial claims.

Build a house in Florida and put the money off-shore and you have it made.

LOL Another voice, that was good.... not too many posts make me laugh out loud for real. Oh well, he probably does the best he can, but let's face it, those CEO types live in a different world, where pixie dust doesn't count, and he has to live in that world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter