ECVs on Trams

umbluegray

Mouseketeer
We're staying off-site and we're renting an ECV from one of the non-Disney providers.

I'm wondering if the parking lot trams can handle ECVs. Do they have to be broken down or does the tram have a place for them?

Thanks

EVCs don't go on the trams. When you enter the parking lot tell the attendant that you have an ECV and need to park close to the entrance. You should be directed to the front. If you have a HC parking permit from your home state then you can park in a HC space. You can drop the ECV and rider off at the front and then park if there are no spaces close enough.
Have a great trip!

Great point.

We're taking our parents this trip and my mom will use an ECV. I keep forgetting that she has a handicap permit.

Thanks for the info. That will make things much easier.

Even if she didn't have a handicapped parking permit, they would find an appropriate spot for her to park as Nanajo mentioned, since an ecv would not fit on a tram.
For people who are staying off-site, that is the only option. For people who are staying on site, the buses, monrails and most of the boats are accessible to wheelchair and ecv users.

SueM in MN said:
Even if she didn't have a handicapped parking permit, they would find an appropriate spot for her to park as Nanajo mentioned, since an ecv would not fit on a tram.
For people who are staying off-site, that is the only option. For people who are staying on site, the buses, monrails and most of the boats are accessible to wheelchair and ecv users.

Well, I never have a car in Orlando (cannot dismantle ECV one-handed, anyway) and have been bullying the off-site hotels and condos that offer shuttle transport to WDW into making sure they have equal transport for those who use chairs and scooters, whether they own the shuttle themselves or have to summon an accessible taxi of some sort for the same price they charge for the shuttle service they offer their able-bodied guests... I was told last month that the Sheraton Vistana Resort now has an accessible shuttle (they didn't when I was there in January) and that the Orange Lake Country Club has added an accessible shuttle to their budget for next year.
I was there last month and badgered them unmercifully about equal transport. I also reported them to RCI. As for the Summer Bay Resort, which has a complimentary shuttle service to WDW, they allow their shuttle contractor to disseminate the misinformation that carrying a scooter on a shuttle is illegal in the state of Florida. Not true. If the off-site accommodation provides shuttle service to their able-bodied guests they must offer it to those who are not able-bodied, at the same cost. In the case of Summer Bay, they are obliged to call for a vehicle with a lift and pay for it themselves...round trip.
In the case of shuttle service from an off-site hotel, the shuttle will drop you off at their assigned place, very close to the park entrance in the lot of whichever park you are visiting and return for you there at the scheduled time (Make a note of the space number). If the hotel summons a taxi with a ramp the taxi will make its pickup in the taxi pickup area, also very close to the entrance of the park. Remember your taxi number...or get a business card from the driver. That's how I met Taxidriverguy (Jack) and will call him again in the future if I need an off-(shuttle) schedule ride to WDW. The hotels are always happy to accept referrals from satisfied taxi customers and love to know if there was a bad experience as well. Until ALL off-site accommodations finally get their own accessible transport it will be up to each disabled guest to remind them of their obligations, as required by law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter