ECV's in Disney

Lele010991

Earning My Ears
Hi there!
My mother has decided to join us for our Disney trip on June 30 and I was looking into getting her an ECV. She has a personal wheelchair, but I thought this might give her more independence. For those of you who have used them, which companies did you go through? How long do the charges last? We will also be renting a car and we were wondering how to make that work with a car or if it just won't work.

She lives in chronic pain and can't walk far anymore; I just wanted to get an option for her that will make the trip as comfortable as it can be.
Thank you in advance!

We rented the Pride Victory 10 3-wheel scooter from Gold Mobility. They were great to work with. As long as we plugged it in each night, the charge easily lasted an entire day at the parks without needing a charge. It was a comfortable scooter that was easy to operate and maneuver.

We had a rental minivan. We had to disassemble the scooter and put it in the back of the minivan. We did have the 3rd row up and it fit although was a bit of a tight fit. The scooter was pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble once we'd done it a couple of times. I don't think it would fit in the trunk of a car however. You'd probably need at least a small SUV or minivan. There are smaller scooters to rent that would likely fit in the trunk of a car, but I've heard the battery life is not as good on them and I don't think they are as comfortable but someone else may think differently that has used them.

We rented the Pride Victory 10 3-wheel scooter from Gold Mobility. They were great to work with. As long as we plugged it in each night, the charge easily lasted an entire day at the parks without needing a charge. It was a comfortable scooter that was easy to operate and maneuver.

We had a rental minivan. We had to disassemble the scooter and put it in the back of the minivan. We did have the 3rd row up and it fit although was a bit of a tight fit. The scooter was pretty easy to disassemble and reassemble once we'd done it a couple of times. I don't think it would fit in the trunk of a car however. You'd probably need at least a small SUV or minivan. There are smaller scooters to rent that would likely fit in the trunk of a car, but I've heard the battery life is not as good on them and I don't think they are as comfortable but someone else may think differently that has used them.
Thank you for this. We have a car, so that is one thing we were worried about it--if it'd fit. Do you think it'd just be good to rent the ECV's in the parks then? I saw that it was much pricier than the companies around the area. If not, maybe I can swing renting a van instead if I budget in some other areas. I will look up gold mobility.

Thank you for this. We have a car, so that is one thing we were worried about it--if it'd fit. Do you think it'd just be good to rent the ECV's in the parks then? I saw that it was much pricier than the companies around the area. If not, maybe I can swing renting a van instead if I budget in some other areas. I will look up gold mobility.
Well, I've not rented the ones in the park, so I can only comment on what I've read here. Most say that the quality of the scooters in the park are not nearly as good as those you can get from the outside companies. Additionally, they apparently run out of them frequently, so you would need to plan to be at the park for rope drop each day and head straight to guest services to get one.

Most of the three wheel scooters can be disassembled and will fit in the car trunk as long as you aren’t also trying to haul a bunch of luggage etc back there too.

As to whether the batteries are sufficient for a day in the parks, a lot will depend on your mother’s weight— in order for the battery to last all day, it is important that her weight not exceed the upper limit on the scooter. The closer someone is to the weight limit, the shorter the battery life will be. So keep that in mind.

Gold mobility is super to work with, and if you call and tell them your needs, they will match you with an ECV that will work for you. They also replace their ecv’s regularly, so they always have equipment that’s in excellent condition and batteries are always tip-top, too. There’s also several posts here that say they’re very responsive if you do have issues, and they bend over backwards to resolve them.

Last edited:
For the last couple years we have rented from Gold Mobility Scooters. We will never use another company after using them. We have had several occasions with mutable rentals from them on our group trips. Anywhere between 2-4 rentals each visit. They are hands down best, newest, and most reliable scooters. They also give you a lot of no charge extras, and upgrades the other companies don't provide with their scooters. We have never had a battery that hasn't lasted the entire day with a Gold scooter. We normally attend the theme parks from rope drop in the morning until after the fireworks. Never an issue. We have used a half a dozen scooter rental companies over the past 15 years so we have experience with rental.

As far as transporting the scooters we normally use the Disney transportation buses, the monorail, or the ferry boats with ease. On occasion we have transported our scooter in a rented minivan, on the city bus, and in a Mears scooter taxi. All were good options. The scooters all come apart quick and easy if you need to take them apart for transport.

The Pride to go scooters are easy to fit in most cars. You do have to dismantle them. There are u tube videos to show you how this works. The downside is it has one battery; so, it's hard for it to go all day and night. Use good practices like shut the scooter off when watching a show, live entertainment, fireworks and parades and the battery will last longer. Also, the go go models are not meant to be for heavier people.

Go to your local mobility store and take a look at the different scooter models. The store may let you ride around their parking lot to try it out. You may also be able to dismantle it and place it in your trunk for fit.

Having a scooter out of the parks can be helpful, too. So, renting a scooter in the park will not help if you need one for other reasons.

unless you would be bringing her wheelchair with you each day remember that park ECVs can not go out the gate at end of day. we have never had any luck getting a parking lot chair

I have a Pride Go-Go Sport 3-wheel with the larger battery. I never have a battery issue as long as I charge it each night. I also turn it off during shows and while stopped for a while just as a poster noted above. The Go-Go 3 wheel is much more maneuverable in lines than a Victory 10 or a 4-wheel ECV. Regarding the portability, it breaks down into several pieces to put in a trunk. As long as you aren’t transporting luggage when going to the parks you should be fine if you have a larger car with plenty of trunk room. I would never try to transport a Victory 10 in a car…too big and heavy.

unless you would be bringing her wheelchair with you each day remember that park ECVs can not go out the gate at end of day. we have never had any luck getting a parking lot chair

Although... the OP could leave the personal wheelchair at the Parks ECV rental location while they rented an ECV.

The bigger problem with Parks rental ECVs is the daily cost is typically higher than the local rental vendors.

I have a GoGo Elite Traveller 3 Wheeler of my own and I LOVE it - easy to maneuver, battery lasts all day and fits in the back of my Honda CRV without taking apart…if I were renting, I’d call Golds Mobility, explain my needs and give them weight/height and let them recommend the right ECV - after all - they’re the experts.

I have a GoGo Elite Traveller 3 Wheeler of my own and I LOVE it - easy to maneuver, battery lasts all day and fits in the back of my Honda CRV without taking apart…if I were renting, I’d call Golds Mobility, explain my needs and give them weight/height and let them recommend the right ECV - after all - they’re the experts.
I just purchased the GOGO Sport for use at home its great for short runs. For the Theme Parks I'm going to stick with renting from Gold Mobility.

I just purchased the GOGO Sport for use at home its great for short runs. For the Theme Parks I'm going to stick with renting from Gold Mobility.
Good idea! What I always say is-if I'm in the back of MK and my scooter breaks down, I'm on my own. If I have a rental, I just get on the phone, call Gold Mobility, and shortly I'll have a new scooter. That's why my personal GoGo Elite Traveler stays at home. Besides, I like the phone charger on the scooter I rent!

Good idea! What I always say is-if I'm in the back of MK and my scooter breaks down, I'm on my own. If I have a rental, I just get on the phone, call Gold Mobility, and shortly I'll have a new scooter. That's why my personal GoGo Elite Traveler stays at home. Besides, I like the phone charger on the scooter I rent!
My favorite Gold Mobility extra features are the cooling fan and the USB phone charging port to keep my phone charged all day for pictures / Video's. Saves me the cost of purchasing charging sticks. My phone is plugged in all day, and I use the fan all day. It doesn't seem to affect the scooter battery a bit. I hear the horror stories about the airlines destroying personal scooters in transit to its just far easier to rent them.

Thanks everybody for the response! We ended up going with Gold's Mobility. She is very excited to have some extra independence while we visit Disney.

Gold Mobility is the way to go! I've been renting for quite a few years and they've only gotten better. The only problem I found is that the Pride Victory 10 is a hefty thing to try and take apart! my husband rented a mini-van (not Disney type..lol) where he took it apart and put it back together 3 or 4 times a day and that can get really tedious for one person...not to mention HEAVY! he's in his mid 60's and he was pooped when he got through. So, beware....if you are going to take it apart and put it together make sure you can handle multiple pieces in your vehicle, heaviest piece 50-60 pounds. If you decide to use the Go-Go it will fit in a vehicle much easier but has WAY less battery available...1 battery vs 2 big batteries on the Pride Victory that will last me from morning through night. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!

Gold Mobility is the way to go! I've been renting for quite a few years and they've only gotten better. The only problem I found is that the Pride Victory 10 is a hefty thing to try and take apart! my husband rented a mini-van (not Disney type..lol) where he took it apart and put it back together 3 or 4 times a day and that can get really tedious for one person...not to mention HEAVY! he's in his mid 60's and he was pooped when he got through. So, beware....if you are going to take it apart and put it together make sure you can handle multiple pieces in your vehicle, heaviest piece 50-60 pounds. If you decide to use the Go-Go it will fit in a vehicle much easier but has WAY less battery available...1 battery vs 2 big batteries on the Pride Victory that will last me from morning through night. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
When we need to transport a scooter ourselves in a vehicle we found the Victory 10-3 wheel to be a much easer to get in and out of the minivan. The main body is lighter to.

When we need to transport a scooter ourselves in a vehicle we found the Victory 10-3 wheel to be a much easer to get in and out of the minivan. The main body is lighter to.
Very true! I neglected to say that the Victory 10 - 3 wheel is the only one I use! to me it's so much easier to get around and maneuver with. As far as the weight goes for me, I can't lift anything heavy because my knees can't handle the weight and my husband is 65 and not in the best shape so it was very hard for us to get this thing in and out of the van...we did manage with a lot of tugging and pulling. Between the two batteries, the monster chair, the main body and the wheel assembly he was pooped! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter