ECVs and Airlines

BeerMe

DIS Veteran
We have rented ECVs at Disney 2-3 times a year. Getting sick of paying for them so we will buy one and then can use it in the airport too. What are the policy for transporting them on domestic Airlines?

We usually fly Southwest. TIA

Let the airline know you are bringing one. Remove anything removable and put it in a bag of JUST medical ewuipment, and carry it on the plane. It can go overhead and it does not count as luggage.

SueM in MN will be by later with better information :)

Let the airline know you are bringing one. Remove anything removable and put it in a bag of JUST medical ewuipment, and carry it on the plane. It can go overhead and it does not count as luggage.

SueM in MN will be by later with better information :)
ECVs do NOT go in the overhead. They are gate checked and go in the belly. You can ride it all the way to the plane in most cases than transfer to a airline aisle chair or you walk to your seat

ECVs do NOT go in the overhead. They are gate checked and go in the belly. You can ride it all the way to the plane in most cases than transfer to a airline aisle chair or you walk to your seat
I think the PP meant anything that can come off the ECV to take this off and put it in a bag if it is small, but not sure what would be small enough to fit in a bag.

The airlines needs to know in advance that you are bringing it. You will need to contact them directly. There are rules (unfortunately) i don't know them, but something about the batteries. The airline will also need to know weight. (Travelling first time with my own wheelchair, was surprised it weighs 47 lbs!)

As far as I know, all airlines allow you to take your personal mobility device all the way to the door of the plane; however you can easily find out by simply calling your preferred airline, (in this case Southwest) and asking.

I can't stress enough - arrive a bit earlier than you normally would (I add at least 30 minutes, but we typically arrive two+ hours early anyway, even with TSA Pre-Check) to allow a bit of extra time. You may find that TSA at certain airports will pull you and your device aside for a special "swabbing". That's OK. Don't worry; it just adds a bit of time. (Don't leave any personal items in the basket, under the seat, or hanging off the seat; be prepared, and run those through in the bins provided; you still have to follow all the regular procedures for everything but you and the scooter.) Make sure that your ECV battery is compliant with current FAA regulations regarding size and battery chemistry - I personally know of someone who flew out of the US with a battery that was approved for travel in the US, but the manufacturer wasn't aware that the "oversized" battery they sold at the time was illegal in a number of Asian countries; he had to leave a $500 battery in China (local officials wouldn't even allow it to be shipped back to the US, it was confiscated) and arrived back in the states with his personal ECV, but no battery. Your preferred airline should be able to tell you what the maximum size battery (typically ECVs use either SLA or Lithium-Ion) is that they will allow on board.

Built in to that extra time is to allow for working with the gate agents at your flight's gate (approach as soon as they show up to work your flight) to let them know that you are there, you will need to gate check your ECV and you will need to ride it down to the door of the plane. They may ask you if you need an aisle chair - the special wheelchair that is made to fit down the narrow aisle of the plane. If you can walk the few steps to your seat, then politely decline the aisle chair, and wait to be called for your flight! They may or may not put a "gate check" tag on your device. Be sure to keep the stub if they do, just in case.

I also tag my ECV - just use a standard luggage tag, and a zip tie - even though you will have a gate check ticket, it never hurts to have your name on everything when you travel. Last bit of advice: take a picture of your (assembled) ECV without you on it - if you need to show a gate crew what it looks like, it will be invaluable. All the times I have flown, I have never had a problem, but I did see one other customer who failed to put her gate check on, and they sent her wheelchair up to luggage services because there was no gate check ticket, and no identification.

Finally, some airlines (the one my hubby works for does this) will ask you to take any *removable* batteries off the device, and carry them into the cabin with you. This may or may not apply to your device. You will be given a special spot (typically one of the first overhead bins inside the door over First Class) where your battery(s) will be stored during flight in a carryon bag. I have a special bag just to carry my batteries in (I carry the maximum I can LOL) and if you are asked to remove the battery(s) from your device, just be prepared to do so. Again - ask your preferred airline when you call. Many ECVs travel in the hold with the battery in place.

When you arrive at your destination (or if you have a layover, like we always do) the gate crew will bring the ECV back up to you. It's usually easier to just stay put and let the plane empty out a bit - if you rush to the door, you may stand there, outside the plane, for quite a while before they get it unloaded and up to the jetway. Ask a Flight Attendant to please let you know if they see a gate crew member bring it up, and then just grab a seat and relax while everyone else rushes off the plane like their hair is on fire!

Because it does take a bit to typically get the device upstairs, for layovers we always search for flights that give us more time between flights, so that if the plane arrives late, or the ground crew is slow, or there is some other limiting factor, we have some extra time built in to the schedule, and we don't miss our connecting flight. (It's less stressful, too - and who wants to arrive at WDW all stressed and unhappy?)

We have rented ECVs at Disney 2-3 times a year. Getting sick of paying for them so we will buy one and then can use it in the airport too. What are the policy for transporting them on domestic Airlines?

We usually fly Southwest. TIA

Thanks so much for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. And like you I usually fly Southwest, I mean ALWAYS fly Southwest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter