Ebay Sellers Beware

PURTYPAT1

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

Just want to give you head up on a "ebay problem" that happened in the last few days.

Wednesday night, my auction went off late in the eve, it was a high price $500.00 item "Garmin's GPS"

I sent the "check out" form, & went to bed. The next morning 12/18, PAYPAL notified me payment was made with winner's address. His name:
Jason from San Diego, Ca (the normal thing).

I get another email, from Jason stating he was the winner, &, asking me when I would, ship & to please email him on the details

I then received another email, from a "ebay member" below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
question from EBAY member Positive Feedback: 99.2%
Registered On: www.ebay.com

I am the successful bidder, but would like to have the GPS shipped to this address. Robert ****** 20548 **** Drive. *** Cal 91789 with the information filled out. Would you confirm this request to EBAY mail thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I have been selling so much lately, I have been getting emails from husbands trying to buy & surprise there wife's for Christmas. They buy & mail it to other address & other names. This ihas been very normal lately, & I have had, many husbands requesting this, & I have been doing it with no problems.

Yesterday I sent the package to the second address, & not the paypal address, thru FedEx ground from NYC to Ca. I emailed the "original buyer" Jason, thru the "original address
email address given thru PAYPAL.

I told Jason, the package has been shipped out, I received the 2nd email, he sent me
with the request to be shipped to the "second address", & I then copied & pasted the second address to him, just to let him know, I got his email, & am replying with his request. The package was mailed to the 2nd address.

Jason emailed me within hours, telling me, It's the wrong address, he never, even heard of the other party (the second address).

I was able to contact FedEx late last night, the package was loaded on the truck ready for "cross country shipment" the next am. For $10.00 I could change the package back to the right address.

The FedEx agent said the package was changed, & will be delivered to the right address :wizard:

You bet, I will keep in touch with FedEx on this delivery, & make sure it gets delivered. I will be calling supervisors today, just to make sure.

I emailed the person, who gave me the wrong address & email, his reply:
------------------------------------------------------------------
My many apologies, I pressed the wrong supplier, forgive me BOBBY
------------------------------------------------------------------

Big lesson to learn, if this happens, email first & ask if the address is legitimate.

Hope this helps, I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Happy Holdays

Patricia

ebay name PURTYPAT1

Thanks for the heads up. I have an item right now that someone wants shipped to another address. I sent her an email thru ebay to verify the address. This time of year it can be so challenging to give good service and keep people honest. Hope yours works out for the best.

Wow, thanks for the heads up ! i'm glad you got that settled before it was too late !

Another scam going in right now is the buyer wanting you to send the item to their relative in Nigeria. They send you an email that looks like Paypal telling you that Paypal has the funds in a hold status until you give them the actual tracking number on the shipment. It states once that happens they will release the funds to your account. Gives the reason that because it is an internation address that it is done that way. The buyer then wants to know when you will be home so that they can have FedEx come by, slap on a shipping label, and take the package with them. It is a scam. My son sold his XBox that way last week and the scammer attempted this little trick. So beware. There are many similar things going on this season.

rae662000 said:
Thanks for the heads up. I have an item right now that someone wants shipped to another address. I sent her an email thru ebay to verify the address. This time of year it can be so challenging to give good service and keep people honest. Hope yours works out for the best.
-----------------

Hmmmm.. I wonder if that's ME? :) I've had to make this request on items I've been purchasing the past 2 weeks and so far everyone has been very accomodating.. If it WAS me, thanks! :flower:

I recently had reason to bid on something a friend who does not do eBay in another state needed with a Buy It Now.

I first contacted the seller with basic explanation and asking if he would ship to a non-confirmed address. After he replied, I did the purchase. Then I sent him the name and address through eBay's system. When I went to PayPal to make payment I told the system to add a new address and use that for the item. There was no problem, but I had kept the seller aware several times of the situation.

For the first time I'm not sending to an address other than Paypal. The buyer has fairly low feedback, her last one says she didn't pay (her only neg). She said she moved and paypal won't let her change her address. The item is close to $30 and I'm not taking the chance on a feedback. Just bad vibes.

I also hate to admit I did something I seldom (if ever..I can't remember) do and regret it. Someone ordered something for her daughters birthday and I sent it out (low priced item) before she paypal'd me because she was so worried it wouldn't get there in time. Husband was going to be out and said he'd stop by the post office to mail it (we had already shipped out that day). Once she paypal'd me I just set the sheet aside. She didn't get it in time, and was very nasty. I checked to ask her if her address ebay gave me was correct..and it was an old address. It didn't match the PP address. She actually got so nasty, I ended up refunding..I feel the neg coming!...she kept telling stories, how this was her very first ebay buy , then told me how no one else had trouble and she's been using the new address on ebay for years, etc. The final straw was (after I told her I would send it out as soon as it was returned and I also planned on refunding and sending it out but she didn't know that) when she sent yet another nasty note accusing me of reporting her for having the incorrect contact info, and said she got a really nasty note from eBay. Went on and on about how long she had been doing ebay (didn't comment on my note saying I thought she said this was her first experiene) and no one had every gottem that address, (well, yeah, I made it up). I guess someone else had a problem reaching her. Anyway, I refunded, I'd rather have a neg than deal with her. My fault, I shouldn't have mailed it and I'll wear the neg, since I deserve it for not mailing to the paypal address.

She just bid again on the same item. I can't beleive I forgot to put her on my blocked bidders list. I wrote and told her I don't think it would work, after her notes, that I am sure she would not be happy with our merchandise. I'm going to refund again..there go two negs.

Yikes, DMRick...

We had an issue as well with a buyer. You all may be aware that we sell laptops and laptop parts that are hard to find. Well, anyway, this bidder bid on a chassis for parts (non working). He questions us up and down does it work, can it support this o/s? anyway..all that. It was listed as non working.

The he asks about why is the shipping so high? It is reasonable and within limits for shipping electronics (we get special boxes and pack well, even for non working machines). He tried to barter for shipping.. no deal. He wanted to end auction early--no deal.

Then about 5 hours before auction ends he wants to rescind the bid. What a PITA! (yes the bread! :) He actually had bid on other parts as well. We remember to block the bids, so he wouldn't hassle us again.

We have also had problems with buyers and our magnets. We were facing two possible negs because of the way the manufacturer designed the toys. (extra pieces housed inside originial pieces). There are 42 pieces but it does look like 26 until you unscrew them. The toys do have that capablility so I don't understand why people don't count and follow directions. ARGH!

Well..I just got a note saying she deeply apologizes, and can she please rebuy the item. I said yes, although my gut says I shouldn't. We'll see how this plays out.

DMRick said:
Well..I just got a note saying she deeply apologizes, and can she please rebuy the item. I said yes, although my gut says I shouldn't. We'll see how this plays out.

Wow, I wouldn't. She's already burned you.

I'm having such a problem with unconfirmed and unverified people buying from me through my paypal only auctions. I just had to ship out a pair of Ugg boots to some clown with 1 feedback who's unverified and unconfirmed. WHy does Paypal let somebody in if they can't verify or confirm them? How stupid is that!

I finally figured out how to block unconfirmed addresses from bidding, but how do I block people with a low feedback #? I had to add an insurance and a signature required for delivery on the boots to protect myself, and I'm not even sure that'll do it...

I've been selling stuff on ebay for five years now, and it's just getting harder and harder to deal with all the crooks; they're everywhere, and the more honest you are, the more magnetically attracted to you they are!

Yep, I've had the Nigerian crooks email me, too.

You should NEVER ship to an address other than the one on the paypal payment. Paypal will NOT protect you in the event of the buyer claiming "non receipt" if you ship to any other address. Their website even says this.

I think we all know we shouldn't ship to a non confirmed address..but sometimes it's a judgement call.I haven't heard back yet from the gal I told I wouldn't ship to her non ebay addy, but I can bet when I do, she's going to be angry.

PURTYPAT1 said:
Hi All,

Just want to give you head up on a "ebay problem" that happened in the last few days.

Wednesday night, my auction went off late in the eve, it was a high price $500.00 item "Garmin's GPS"

I sent the "check out" form, & went to bed. The next morning 12/18, PAYPAL notified me payment was made with winner's address. His name:
Jason from San Diego, Ca (the normal thing).

I get another email, from Jason stating he was the winner, &, asking me when I would, ship & to please email him on the details

I then received another email, from a "ebay member" below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
question from EBAY member Positive Feedback: 99.2%
Registered On: www.ebay.com

I am the successful bidder, but would like to have the GPS shipped to this address. Robert ****** 20548 **** Drive. *** Cal 91789 with the information filled out. Would you confirm this request to EBAY mail thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I NEVER do this. They can then say they never got the package and the money will come out of your account. I'm not sure how the scam works. I ship to CONFIRMED addresses only. It is so I can keep the money I earned. I have been burned too many times to not take extra precautions.

bride03 said:
I ship to CONFIRMED addresses only. It is so I can keep the money I earned. I have been burned too many times to not take extra precautions.

Right now, only 50% of my ebay addresses are confirmed..so I base each mailing on a decision I can live with..knowing how much I could lose. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been burned in about 7 -8,000 transactions. Sure wish Paypal would make people be confirmed or not accept them.

DMRick said:
Sure wish Paypal would make people be confirmed or not accept them.

Yep. Me too. You know, if someone wanted me to be confirmed and I really wanted an item, I would get confirmed gosh darn it. LOL...I guess that is why I don't understand it. That, and I wouldn't want to get burned BECAUSE I wasn't a confirmed user, you know?

I make each unconfirmed address shipping on judgement too. High priced items I don't chance. I think it's personal and I wouldn't go complainning if something went wrong- it would be my own fault.

I have been asked twice in the last week to ship to someone's granddaughter and then another's adult son. I did on both because they were lower priced items. Both worked out- so all is well that ends well.

Well, I did some more shopping today, 'cause I'm too sick to go out to the "real" stores.. (We all have that stomach bug..)

Bought 3 items with BIN and won 1 auction.. Contacted everyone ahead of time - explained that I'm here at my DD's and would it be a problem to ship here - and they were all kind enough to accomodate me..

It's too bad the "rats" have to crawl around ebay causing everyone to be suspicious of each other.. :(

Another thing to watch:

My DH has been getting emails from "ebay" to an email that has never been registered with ebay from so called members stating that they we have won and auction and that we can "CLICK ON THIS LINK" and pay securely with paypal.....

We know it is spam because the email is not registered on ebay or paypal!!

And because we had not bought anything on ebay..

SO BE CAREFUL!!!

It is amazing the scams that people try to pull!!!

skiwee1 said:
Another scam going in right now is the buyer wanting you to send the item to their relative in Nigeria. They send you an email that looks like Paypal telling you that Paypal has the funds in a hold status until you give them the actual tracking number on the shipment. It states once that happens they will release the funds to your account. Gives the reason that because it is an internation address that it is done that way. The buyer then wants to know when you will be home so that they can have FedEx come by, slap on a shipping label, and take the package with them. It is a scam. My son sold his XBox that way last week and the scammer attempted this little trick. So beware. There are many similar things going on this season.
I get alot of scam emails at work trying to get you to send your bank avccount number to someone in Nigdria, they say that some official needs help blah blah blah and they will sned you a million dollars please put in your bank account number. If you fall for that you should not be allowed on the comp unsupervised!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter