Eat at Home 3!

So, the regular grocery finally had a deal I couldn't refuse - $1.05/lb strawberries that were gorgeous. I used 8lbs on Friday for my spring strawberry soup contribution to my Church's Lenten supper, and I went back and bought 4 more lbs today to make a fresh strawberry pie (which I'm dying to eat, but dinner 1st) and to have around for meals...so here's this week's plans...

Sun - Frozen Enchiladas with Spanish rice (using up a frozen meal while I watch March Madness), Roasted Cabbage, Strawberries and Grapes...and strawberry pie for dessert
Mon (last week's dinner b/c my girls activity got canceled so made a different dinner) - Baked Breaded Chicken Sandwiches with Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, and Dijonaise, Strawberries and Blackberries
Tues - Beef and Bean Chili, Corny Cornbread, Clementines
Wed - 5-way Chili Cheese (with fresh avocado, tomato, red onion) Fries, Double Apple Cinnamon Muffins, Pineapple and Bananas
Thurs - Baked Lemon Tea Glazed Chicken, Roasted Carrots, Mashed Potatoes, Fruit Smoothies
Fri - Another volunteer night at the soup supper and another fruit soup - I'll look at deals before I make, but I'm leaning to a Mango Coconut Lime fruit soup shooter with diced kiwi
Sat - OUT

Monday: mapo tofu, stir fried baby bok choy, rice
Tuesday: hunan mouth numbing chicken, stir fried broccoli, rice
Wednesday: pho with vietnamese salad rolls
Thursday: tamarind fish curry with white rice, salad
Friday: Chicken biryani, leftover veggies or salad

ladies your menus look fantastic!!

we had the casserole tonight and last night we had salmon. Tomorrow instead of fried rice we are going to have turkey soup.

Have not gone to the grocery store yet this week. Going to let the $15 carry over if I don't use it but I am still limiting myself to the $60 this month. Probably will have to run to the store soon as we are low now on eggs, margarine and could use a bit of produce. If I can spend less than $60 that's a bonus!!

Well, now I am doing a 60 day health and fitness challenge...so the REAL challenge is eating healthy on a SUPER tight budget. If you have frugal and healthy meal ideas PLEASE SHARE!!! Here is my attempt for this week:

Wednesday:
Thai Noodle Salad with Chicken

Thursday:
Seafood Gumbo (DH's dad makes this, and brought us a huge pot of it)
WW Corn Muffins

Friday:
Black Bean Burgers
Oven Baked Tator Tots
Sautee'd Green Beans

Saturday:
Grilled Salmon Filets
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Oil
Green Salad with a Spinach base (not to be confused with the spinach salad that has bacon and a sugary dressing)

Sunday:
Ethiopian Tikel Gomen with Chicken
Roasted Asparagus

Monday: (Family cookout while DH's brother is visiting from Iowa)
Grilled Burgers and Hot Dogs
Vegetarian Baked Beans
Chips

Taco Tuesday:
Bean and Cheese Burritos (fat free beans and low fat cheese)
Chips and Salsa

Just back from Disney so back to the meal planning.

Sunday: Baked chicken legs, baked potatoes
Monday: Enchilada chicken, cilantro lime rice
Tuesday:Chili/chicken noodle soup
Wednesday: Frozen Pizza
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Dinner at inlaws

Well, now I am doing a 60 day health and fitness challenge...so the REAL challenge is eating healthy on a SUPER tight budget. If you have frugal and healthy meal ideas PLEASE SHARE!!! (

We hav been eating a lot of chicken dh eats a lot of chicken and seafood - we have found that buying from the meat case is better than buying frozen - I can slice and dice things and make things stretch a little further.

If u have an Aldo’s - get ur fruit and produce there - it’s cheaper and can help with ur budget

My March meal plan was an epic failure. I got sick at the beginning of the month for 2.5 weeks. And my hubs can’t cook at all so we all survived on massive junk and to-go food. Probably the worst eating we’ve done in five years.

For April, this is my plan, we needed 28 meals...
Chicken meals
Roasted chicken with bbq rub and potatoes
Roasted chicken with sage dressing and peas
Chicken Alfredo and garlic green beans
Roasted chicken with Greek flavors with salad
Chicken lo mein
Pepper chicken and broccoli
Chicken basmati curry type rice with peas
Some type of chicken curry with potatoes
Thai coconut grilled chicken

Beef
Some type of beef curry with potatoes
Steak twice plus salad
Meatloaf and peas
Cottage pie

Mexican Food (my kid pretty much choose this entire section)
Chicken tacos crunchy shell salad
Beef tacos crunchy shell salad
Beef and bean burritos salad
Beef corn salsa stir fry stuff
Chorizo tacos salad
Pork carnitas mex corn
Taco salad times 2

Misc meals
Chickpea potato curry
Sausage jambalaya
Chef salad x 2
Soup beans plus vegetables times two
Mediterranean chickpea salad

This uses up a lot of stuff in our pantry and freezer. I’ll spend about $110 to finish up these meals, much less if our garden greens are growing well. It’s a little early for them but TN weather is weird it could be 20 and 80 in the same week.

Tonight not having the crockpot stuffed peppers. Going to have that tomorrow night. Going to make fiancee chicken fried rice tonight. Here's our menu until Sunday.

Tonight
Chicken fried rice for fiancee
Low carb spaghetti squash lasagna for myself

Tomorrow
low carb Crockpot stuffed peppers
buttered Rice, frozen veggies from freezer

Thursday
For fiancee frozen cheese ravioli, homemade spaghetti sauce. For myself last serving of spaghetti squash lasagna. Both of us will have cucumber salad with lite italian dressing.

Friday
Baked lemon pepper tilapia, steamed broccoli, broccoli and cheese rice for fiancee

Saturday
Chicken Adobo (from skinny taste.com), salad and steamed rice

Sunday
Low carb meatloaf, green beans, mashed potatoes for fiancee, mashed cauliflower for myself.

Last edited:
Changing things around a bit. Sunday he is going to have grilled cheese and the last serving of my turkey soup. I have two more containers in the freezer of the soup. I am going to have chicken salad using up the last of the chicken leg meat i cooked up for the fried rice. Going to have this over cucumber rounds or lettuce leaves. Doing good with my $60 good budget. Spent about $30 so far and We are starting week 3 on Wednesday. Probably will be doing my budget limit of $60 a month until my freezers are emptier.

Monday we are having low carb meatloaf, mashed potato and what ever veggie in the freezer. I will be making mashed cauliflower for myself.

Tuesday low carb meatbals, turkey Italian sausage, homemade sauce, spaghetti for him zoodles for me, salad

Wed-skinnytaste pollo saboriso using chicken legs in the freezer, cucumber salad, seasoned rice for him

Thursday leftover chicken fried rice from the freezer for him. Left over meatloaf for me with mashed cualiflower.

Friday salmon, baked potato for him, what ever veg is in the freezer.

Saturday turkey soup with pasta for him zucchini for me

Sunday chicken parm, pasta for him, salad

Last edited:
Well, now I am doing a 60 day health and fitness challenge...so the REAL challenge is eating healthy on a SUPER tight budget. If you have frugal and healthy meal ideas PLEASE SHARE!!! Here is my attempt for this week:

Wednesday:
Thai Noodle Salad with Chicken

Thursday:
Seafood Gumbo (DH's dad makes this, and brought us a huge pot of it)
WW Corn Muffins

Friday:
Black Bean Burgers
Oven Baked Tator Tots
Sautee'd Green Beans

Saturday:
Grilled Salmon Filets
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Oil
Green Salad with a Spinach base (not to be confused with the spinach salad that has bacon and a sugary dressing)

Sunday:
Ethiopian Tikel Gomen with Chicken
Roasted Asparagus

Monday: (Family cookout while DH's brother is visiting from Iowa)
Grilled Burgers and Hot Dogs
Vegetarian Baked Beans
Chips

Taco Tuesday:
Bean and Cheese Burritos (fat free beans and low fat cheese)
Chips and Salsa

good morning!! My favorite sites for healthy dinner ideas are

Www.skinnytaste.com
Www.lowcarbyumm.com
https://kalynskitchen.com
Www.bariatric eating.com

I included bariatric eating because they have a fantastic recipe for cheeseburger pie and taco pie that I use. There is also a delicious recipe for sheet pan fajitas, and a bunch of other recipes I use regularly. I base my meals on protein and lots of veggies and I make a starchy side for my fiancee.

good morning!! My favorite sites for healthy dinner ideas are
Www.skinnytaste.com

I LOVE Skinnytaste. Just ordered the last of the cookbooks I was missing (I am not buying the Air Fryer book because I do not own one and I do not plan on getting one due to cost and space). There are some weeks that my whole meal plan is from her.

I am changing things around a bit to try and find a plan that works for me. I have not been doing well eating at home because I am getting BORED by the end of the week. So instead of cooking Sunday, Thursday, and Saturday I am going to change that up to Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday/Saturday. I am also going to try and fill the freezer with healthy, easy and fast to make stuff like preseasoned fish, premade eggrolls (Skinnytaste has a few different types and I will make a big batch to freeze), or breakfast burritos. To do this I have increased my grocery budget ($75 a week still but no longer including OTC meds which now have their own budget). I also have flexibility in my budget to spend a little more if I find a good deal. Finally, I have restarted my Imperfect Produce subscription and get that every 2 weeks.

So this week:
Breakfast: Premade frozen breakfast sandwiches with mango
Lunch: Instant Pot Thai red curry, rice, side salad
Dinner:
Tonight: Meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes
Monday: L/O
Tuesday: L/O
Wednesday: Red Pepper Fettuccine with shrimp, roasted asparagus
Thursday: L/O
Friday: Steak, baked potato, roasted zucchini
Saturday: Baked potato and roasted zucchini

I LOVE Skinnytaste. Just ordered the last of the cookbooks I was missing (I am not buying the Air Fryer book because I do not own one and I do not plan on getting one due to cost and space). There are some weeks that my whole meal plan is from her.

I am changing things around a bit to try and find a plan that works for me. I have not been doing well eating at home because I am getting BORED by the end of the week. So instead of cooking Sunday, Thursday, and Saturday I am going to change that up to Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday/Saturday. I am also going to try and fill the freezer with healthy, easy and fast to make stuff like preseasoned fish, premade eggrolls (Skinnytaste has a few different types and I will make a big batch to freeze), or breakfast burritos. To do this I have increased my grocery budget ($75 a week still but no longer including OTC meds which now have their own budget). I also have flexibility in my budget to spend a little more if I find a good deal. Finally, I have restarted my Imperfect Produce subscription and get that every 2 weeks.

So this week:
Breakfast: Premade frozen breakfast sandwiches with mango
Lunch: Instant Pot Thai red curry, rice, side salad
Dinner:
Tonight: Meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes
Monday: L/O
Tuesday: L/O
Wednesday: Red Pepper Fettuccine with shrimp, roasted asparagus
Thursday: L/O
Friday: Steak, baked potato, roasted zucchini
Saturday: Baked potato and roasted zucchini

What do you think of that service - I'd never heard of it before you posted, and it sounds intriguing, although I can't tell if it would really save money over something like shopping loss leaders at Aldi/Hmart...is it mostly a time saver and an encouragement to cook varied food or does it save money, too?

What do you think of that service - I'd never heard of it before you posted, and it sounds intriguing, although I can't tell if it would really save money over something like shopping loss leaders at Aldi/Hmart...is it mostly a time saver and an encouragement to cook varied food or does it save money, too?
I love it. I don't think it saves me money but I don't feel like I spend more or anything. However, I am less likely to waste food. For example, at Aldi the bell peppers come in packs of 3. I often don't need 3 peppers before they go bad because I am a single adult who only cooks a few meals a week. So maybe in a way I am spending less because I am wasting less.

What I really like about it is that I am reducing waste in general (the boxes they use to deliver with are great for packing things up with and they use no plastic) and I am being introduced to a lot more variety.

@TwoMisfits chiming in on imperfect produce. We tried it for one box, it's just 2 adults in my house, and I found that for some items they have a great price, but for others I could find better pricing at the store. I'd say give it a shot for a box or two and see how you like it. You're able to customize your boxes so you don't have to get things you don't like.

I might try it later this spring (especially if they have a "new subscriber" trial:). So, now time for the meal planning. So, my 2 freezers are stuffed...and there weren't that many great produce sales. Okay, I lied - there were some GREAT veg sales, but the fruit ones were meh, so I have some new veg to make some nice stuff with, but the fruit will be a little tight this week...so here's the plan:)...

Sun (Evening Church, so easy is the word) - Frozen Orange Chicken with Fried Rice, Clementines/Grapes/Bananas (last of the "old fruit")
Mon - Turkey Tenderloin, Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole with Roasted Baby Bellas, Sweet Onions, and Green Onions
Tues - Ham and Cheese (All Milk) Quiche, Roasted Asparagus, Country-Style Potatoes with Bell Pepper and Onion
Wed - Buffalo Chicken Tenders, Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower, Double Banana Muffins, Clementines
Thurs - Spaghetti and Meatballs, Roasted Asparagus part 2 (99 cents/lb was too good to just get one)
Fri - Soup Dinner at Church - Last week, my Mango Lime Coconut Soup was a huge hit...this week, they told me I could come without bringing anything, but since it's gonna be a heavy mac and cheese night, I may try to make a crockpot tomato soup - something cheap, kid friendly, but perfect alongside that dish...but I may punt and just eat gratis:)...
Sat - OUT

Last edited:
I am doing great with the 60 day challenge, we are about 2 weeks in, and I have lost almost 4 #'s. My goal is just 1# a week, so I am very happy wtih the results so far. I hate going to the gym, but I do love the reeults. :-)

Wednesday:
Berry Spinach Salad with just a bit of chicken breast added

Thursday:
WW Chili Mac
Fresh Pineapple Slices

Friday:
Stuffed Baked Potatoes (I only use salsa on mine)

Saturday:
WW Poblano Chicken Soup
WW Corn Muffins

Sunday:
Smoked Pork Loin
WW Hashbrown Casserole
Fried Okra
Sugar Free Jello with Light Cool Whip

Monday:
Chana Masala
Basmati Rice
Garlic Naan

Taco Tuesday:
WW BBQ Chicken and Avacado Quesadillas
Fiesta Black Beans

I might try it later this spring (especially if they have a "new subscriber" trial:). So, now time for the meal planning. So, my 2 freezers are stuffed...and there weren't that many great produce sales. Okay, I lied - there were some GREAT veg sales, but the fruit ones were meh, so I have some new veg to make some nice stuff with, but the fruit will be a little tight this week...so here's the plan:)...

If you remember when you want to try it, send me a message with your email. I can refer friends and it gets you $10 off your first box (and I will be transparent and say it also gets me $10 off as well).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter