DVC Should Pay for Mears Transportation

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
Mears just announced they will continue resort transportation after 2021 for a fee. Disney should pay for that service for , at least, current DVC owners.
I think a majority of DVC owners whom come from out of state see Magical Express as a huge perk of ownership. This service was also touted by the DVC reps we toured with as a selling point and benefit against other timeshares.
Even though I dont think it specifically states transportation is provided in the contracts, it did state complimentary transportation on all the DVC resort websites and it would be really great PR for DVC to continue the service for free and looked as taking care of their members.
Am I out of line here or is this something others are thinking?

Owners would pay for it, not Disney, We cover it now as part of dues. I would bet the majority of DVC owners would choose not to see an increase in dues to cover it for all.

We are no longer guests of Disney so anything is covered by us, it is why we don’t get daily housekeeping. Owners who want it pay for it on their own,

I think the same for transportation to/from the airport. Now, it would be great for DVCM to try and work a discount via Mears for DVC owners as a special benefit.

So @Sandisw, if we are paying for it in our dues until the end of this year, do you think we will we see a credit going forward on MF's? We usually rent a car, however it has been a nice perk for guests meeting us at WDW.

Technically, yes, However, given that fees go up every year in the transportation line item, I don’t think we will notice it in any real way.

The best might be to see that line item remain the same for 2022? I don’t know how it’s determined what is billed to DVC owners.

All members pay for this and only X amount use it. I doubt we will even notice it in the maintenance fees in 2022 when it’s not there. My guess is Disney has noticed a drop in people using the service and either are renting or using Uber/Lyft etc... This is a perk that Disney offered to stay on property. If they take away all the perks, some people will look elsewhere to stay. We drive some 1300 miles so we have never used it. No perks are guaranteed when you buy DVC. New direct buyers and grandfathered owners cannot buy new Annual Passes.

All members pay for this and only X amount use it. I doubt we will even notice it in the maintenance fees in 2022 when it’s not there. My guess is Disney has noticed a drop in people using the service and either are renting or using Uber/Lyft etc... This is a perk that Disney offered to stay on property. If they take away all the perks, some people will look elsewhere to stay. We drive some 1300 miles so we have never used it. No perks are guaranteed when you buy DVC. New direct buyers and grandfathered owners cannot buy new Annual Passes.
I was told that a primary reason for the creation of DME in 2005 was to keep you in the Disney bubble and capture a bigger chunk of your vacation dollars.

People still use DMW today but Uber/Lyft/etc. make it much easier to leave the Disney bubble now, meaning Disney is no longer getting all of your vacation dollars like they once did, meaning DME is no longer as financially successful as it once was.

If our dues were paying for magical express but there wont be a decrease in dues after 2021, then adding it in 2022 wouldnt increase our dues. Correct?
I think it's been suggested that the cost of DME is very small, so small that we might barely notice it when we don't pay for it in 2022.

Mears just announced they will continue resort transportation after 2021 for a fee. Disney should pay for that service for , at least, current DVC owners.
Sorry, there's no logic for this argument. DVC members pya for ME just like non-dvc resort guests do. For DVC members its part of our member fees. For resort guests its part of the cost of the room.

When ME ends, then there will be a corresponding reduction in future member fees.

Just to play devils advocate, are the parking lots ready for the influx of cars at DVC properties?

I am not convinced that without DME, when Mears announced today it will continue the service and even offer even other options for WDW guests, that DVC owners will suddenly rent cars instead to make a huge impact.

Yes, some will. But I think there will be just as many who will chose other services instead. Cash guests will have not only the cost of the car rental but parking fees too so I just don’t see it will be less expensive for everyone,

I know for us, we will continue to use some level of service vs, car rental. We will just consider it as part of the budget and adjust our on-site spending.

Another item that makes our AutoTrain decision look even better for next year.
We tried it for the 1st time, Jan-Feb 2021, and it was better for Social-Distancing than flying, saved us a ton vs. renting a car for 7 weeks, and it was great being able to spread out and relax during the trip and not have white-knuckles from driving I-95. I also look at it as saving me 2 Nights worth of Points/$$, as the overnights spent onboard the train are relaxing & refreshing and, if we drove we would waste at least one of those nights recuperating in our room to catch up on lost sleep.
For those DVC members that are a reasonable drive from Lorton VA, I would recommend giving it a try.

I am not convinced that without DME, when Mears announced today it will continue the service and even offer even other options for WDW guests, that DVC owners will suddenly rent cars instead to make a huge impact.

Well today its free in January its not.

I can't imagine that Mears will run the shuttle much cheaper than renting a car if you have 5 or more in your party. I think 4 or less will be the sweet spot of it being cheaper than renting a car.

$40 a person each way or round trip? What do we think the price will be?

I can't imagine that Mears will run the shuttle much cheaper than renting a car if you have 5 or more in your party. I think 4 or less will be the sweet spot of it being cheaper than renting a car.

I think it depends on whether they will socially distance. If not, maybe $40/round trip pp

Another item that makes our AutoTrain decision look even better for next year.
We tried it for the 1st time, Jan-Feb 2021, and it was better for Social-Distancing than flying, saved us a ton vs. renting a car for 7 weeks, and it was great being able to spread out and relax during the trip and not have white-knuckles from driving I-95. I also look at it as saving me 2 Nights worth of Points/$$, as the overnights spent onboard the train are relaxing & refreshing and, if we drove we would waste at least one of those nights recuperating in our room to catch up on lost sleep.
For those DVC members that are a reasonable drive from Lorton VA, I would recommend giving it a try.
I have always wanted to try the auto train! It sounds so fun.

I can see it being $40 to $50 per person round trip, I just went with a friend and I could not get the car for less than $275 for the 4 day trip and that was economy. I started looking back in January when we decided. Granted it was spring break. So far, for my June trip is $334, and July is around the same.

So, even a family of 5, with luggage, is going to be similar. I just don’t see it being that much cheaper to rent a car unless it’s a short trip. And, there is an ease of using transportation as well. So, I think the savings has to be a lot for some people to choose the rental car.

Again, some will but I just don’t think it’s going to be overwhelming enough to swamp the parking lots.

I can see it being $40 to $50 per person round trip, I just went with a friend and I could not get the car for less than $275 for the 4 day trip and that was economy. I started looking back in January when we decided. Granted it was spring break. So far, for my June trip is $334, and July is around the same.

So, even a family of 5, with luggage, is going to be similar. I just don’t see it being that much cheaper to rent a car unless it’s a short trip. And, there is an ease of using transportation as well. So, I think the savings has to be a lot for some people to choose the rental car.

Again, some will but I just don’t think it’s going to be overwhelming enough to swamp the parking lots.

I guess though even if its "close" you now have the vehicle option for your trip. Before if you rented you paid 100% of the rental rate. Now you in reality can discount X% of the rental since its a price you have to pay no matter what.

If we have to pay $160-$240 based on who is coming it might be worth it to spend the extra $100, not have to pay for a lyft to Publix, not need to pay for a lyft to character warehouse and have the flexibility to drive to the parks or offsite for dinner.

I could see this being very attractive for AKV, OKW, or SSR as well.

We usually opt to rent a car for the first day only, and knock out any off site shopping/activities then. We've always had luck getting a pretty good rate, usually in the $25-$50 range. We're going in July, but flying into Miami for a cruise (which is probably not going to happen now), so we'll be renting a car from there and driving up, going to Vero first, then split stay at BWV and BCV. We'll have the car the whole Vero/Orlando portion of the trip this time around, but only because it cost way less than flying from Miami or a one-way rental. On the plus side, we'll be in the area for 12 days, so having the car will allow us to eat off-site sometimes and save a little cash. Seems like the food prices on-site have doubled since the last time we visited!

Only time will tell what's going to happen. Half the trips we use DME and some we rent car since we want to do other things in the area a day or two. When my kids were younger they loved seeing the bus waiting to pick up passengers. I think not having it or charging it will help the competition. for me if your going to make me rent a car then I'm using it and will go to Universal for a change of pace. I keep seeing that Universal keeps reaching capacity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter