DVC exclusive Danube River Cruise

calypso726

Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time
This will be the start of my trip report for the river cruise. We are currently at the lounge in Dublin Airport awaiting our flight to Budapest for our pre-night ABD stay. Once we get to Budapest and the hotel I will continue to post day by day if the wifi gods permit.

Part one of this (Ireland on our own) is here:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/danube-river-cruise-with-a-pre-trip-to-ireland.3522400/page-3

As usual, we travel hacked all of our flights and even a couple of hotel stays during the past week visiting Ireland. We were able to snag first class flights on miles over from Miami on British airways. This was accomplished thanks to the sign up bonus offers from the Chase BA Visa card and a 40% bonus transfer of points from Amex membership rewards to our BA frequent flyer account. As much as I hate the taxes and fees associated with BA when you have to connect through LHR I do enjoy the lounge access. There is a cool perk of you are flying in first class in Heathrow at their Concorde lounge. They have cabanas that include a day bed, private bathroom, shower and tv that you can book in advance to use, relax and freshen up during your layover. In addition to that, there is an Elemis spa and travelers in first can book complimentary spa treatments. The spa activity is only 15 minutes but I must say they were a welcome 15 minute facial and massage after our flight!

I also love that British Airways gives you a "sleep suit" (jammies) to change into so you can hang your clothes and they won't get wrinkles while you sleep on the plane.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I tell my husband I'm saving miles so we can fly first on Qantas from DFW to SYD in order to get the pajamas and slippers with kangaroos on them, so I loved your statement about the sleep suit :-)

Loved your Ireland report and very much looking forward to this part of the trip report. I've been intrigued with river cruises for awhile and can't wait to hear how this one goes.

We are here! Pick up from the airport was smooth and easy. We met some of our fellow travelers on the plane and were transported in a group. One of the women drivers was so adept at hauling bags and stacking them DH said he needed to go work out just to regain his man card back. I told him he wasn't getting his Y chromosome back after witnessing that display. It was quite impressive!

The hotel is right in front of the river and the room very nice. It's a Marriott, so if you have a Marriott credit card (which gives you silver status) or status through stays with the chain you will get a couple of vouchers for complimentary cocktails. The city is simply amazing! The architecture and detail on the buildings is just fantastic!

We were sad to learn that Hanni and Zoe aren't on our itinerary due to schedule changes. However, we were thrilled to catch up with them this evening. We adore them both and they are one of the main reasons we fell in love with ABD! To those of you who get this team on your River cruise, all I can say is, Totes Jelly!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok I have no idea why these are here but they are super cool. There are these boxes attached to the trees and there is artwork in 3D inside. We looked inside all of the ones we found while walking along the river. I'm only showing a couple so others can be delighted and surprised as I was each time I peeked into a box. We also stopped at an outdoor restaurant for a bite. The weather is quite nice. Had to try some goulash!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

I tell my husband I'm saving miles so we can fly first on Qantas from DFW to SYD in order to get the pajamas and slippers with kangaroos on them, so I loved your statement about the sleep suit :-)

Loved your Ireland report and very much looking forward to this part of the trip report. I've been intrigued with river cruises for awhile and can't wait to hear how this one goes.

Thank you Tgeorge! Now that is a flight definitely worth saving miles to do! Glad you enjoyed the trip report on Ireland. I enjoyed writing it. I am excited to find out whether or not river cruises are for me. To be honest, they probably are as long as ABD has anything to do with them :-)

Last edited:
So fun the you had a chance to catch up with Hanne and Zoe, but bummer that they won't be on the trip! Please say "hi" from us if you run into them again and give them a big hug :)

So will Jennae, be your guide? She was our Central Europe guide and is wonderful! Have they been doing a test trip over the last week? Jennae has been posting amazing pictures of the river cruise on her Facebook page over the last week, but it sounds like the DVC trip is the first official one.

So will Jennae, be your guide? She was our Central Europe guide and is wonderful! Have they been doing a test trip over the last week? Jennae has been posting amazing pictures of the river cruise on her Facebook page over the last week, but it sounds like the DVC trip is the first official one.

Yes, Jennae is on the river cruise guide team! I believe they did a "test run" from Prague to Budapest this last week. I've been seeing (and getting jealous of) pics from other guides set to guide the river cruises as well! Our guide Stephanie from Italy/Switzerland an into some fellow adventurer's from last year's trip just this past weekend when they were on the Tauck River Cruise! She'll be one of the guides for this river cruise season!

Totally in and looking forward to your report, Calypso!

How many peopl are on your cruise? So excited for you! I'm heading out on the ABD Prague, Germany & Austria trip in a few weeks. Also booked on the Rhine 2017

Yes, Jennae just posted some photos of the AMAViola, and it looks so pretty! She's one of the Guides doing the entire River cruise season this year. Some of the other Guides will be swapping in and out.

Sayhello

Yes, Jennae just posted some photos of the AMAViola, and it looks so pretty! She's one of the Guides doing the entire River cruise season this year. Some of the other Guides will be swapping in and out.

Sayhello

Her pictures this morning were amazing. She is such a great guide, hope you have her too on your trip SayHello.

Her pictures this morning were amazing. She is such a great guide, hope you have her too on your trip SayHello.
She *is* going to be one of the Guides on our cruise!! I'm very much looking forward to meeting and traveling with her! :thumbsup2 I've been following her on FB for quite a while!

Sayhello

Hi everyone! Yes, Jennae is on board our sailing. Today we had the morning and part of the afternoon on our own. Checkout was at 11 am and bags had to be in the lobby by noon. Last bus pickup to the ship was at 3 pm. We strolled down to the market place to check it out and do some shopping and grab a bite to eat.

We arrived back at the Marriott before 3 and were transported to our ship. Upon arrival we were greeted by the captain and crew with a warm welcome and champagne toast. Afternoon tea was being served and we mingled with our fellow adventurers. It was also during this time that we turned in our excursion choices to the guides and received our lanyards. Our staterooms were ready and luggage in the room too!

The ship is just lovely and the rooms are too! I can also state that magnets will not stick to the doors. I don't know what they are made of but they won't hold a magnet ;-) Complimentary wifi is available, the stateroom tv is a 27" iMac with Apple TV. Bottled water is also replenished and complimentary in the stateroom.

At 5:30 we all met in the lounge for a cocktail reception. At this time we were introduced to our Captain, crew, host and guides. We received our safety briefing from Captain Jan at this time as well. Peter, the cruise manager is hilarious and had everyone laughing. Those who have been on a Disney cruise will be familiar with the daily navigator that tells about the daily activities. On this cruise we will be receiving a Daily Adventurer to keep us informed.

Upon the conclusion of the cocktail reception we headed downstairs for dinner. The dining is open seating. We were given a menu and choice of red or white wine. I chose a Hungarian Cabernet which was really good, especially considering that I don't particularly care for red wine in general. I have to say the food was outstanding!!!!! I have been on 15 Disney cruises with DCL and this is our 6th ABD. I never rave about food on DCL in their main dining rooms. It's good but not great. Palo and Remy are another matter and have always been great. I don't recall raving about any food on an ABD with the exception of Haggis in Scotland. I will put this evening's dining experience right up into my great category!

After dinner we were treated to some entertainment which we enjoyed very much. I won't mention what it was as I don't like spoiling surprises for future guests. After the evening's entertainment we sailed down the river and back and we were able to get some stunning views of the city at night.

In true DVC member cruise fashion, I was delighted to find a surprise waiting for us when we got back to our room! It has been a few years since I was last on a DVC member cruise so stateroom gifts weren't even on my radar.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
It was also during this time that we turned in our excursion choices to the guides and received our lanyards. Our staterooms were ready and luggage in the room too!
How did this work? When did you get the form to fill in with your excursion choices?

Sayhello

In the handbook where the tip envelopes are normally kept, I had a foldout document / schedule for the shore excursions. I think that is what we are supposed to use to indicate what we want to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter