DVC discounted tour on Segways!

PKS44

DIS Veteran
This a new tour offered at a discount to DVC members- I read about at this link on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies

Around the World at Epcot --
on a Segway!

A brand new tour is being introduced in Epcot. Beginning February 14, 2004, you'll be able to travel Around the World at Epcot on a Segway, those futuristic-looking upright transportation devices on which you sometimes see Cast Members zipping around Epcot.

The tour, which will last two hours, will be offered daily at 8:45 a.m. The first hour of the tour will teach safety rules and allow you to practice riding the Segway, while the second hour will be a tour around World Showcase before it officially opens to visitors.

Cost for the new tour is $80 (park admission is NOT included).

Some restrictions apply: Minimum age is 16 (guardian must sign a waiver for ages 16 and 17), maximum weight for participants is 250 pounds, and expectant mothers and persons with special needs may not participate due to safety concerns.

A 15 percent discount will be available for AAA and Disney Vacation Club members, as well as Annual Passholders, Disney VISA cardholders, and Disney Cast Members. A photo ID will be required at the time of the tour.

the DVC discount is on all tours. This new one sounds really cool. I may try talking DW into taking it in OCT!

Mike

My 80 yo Mom want to do this in June. I hope someone will post a review of their experience before then. :) Mom has had a hip replacement, and while she can stand for long periods without problems, she can't take the long walks around the parks (the usual brisk pace of other guests), so we use a wheelchair. I wonder if they'll consider her a "special need" and not accept her for the tour?

We signed up for this for March 6th. This is the first tour that DH said yes to - and I have asked about others that he would probably like - i.e. Backstage at AKL. No to all those. Yes to this!

I have ridden a Segway over at Celebration, and it is a really incredible experience. You first think you will tip over for sure and try to overcompensate. If you let the Segway do the work, it is remarkably easy. I cannot wait to do this at EPCOT, that will make the experience even more special. YOu become very comfortable with the Segway within just a few minutes of being introduced to using it.

Regarding the 80 year-old, I am not sure about that. She would have to be very, very confident in her stability to be confortable operating one of those.

I just booked this tour without telling my DH. He has always wanted to try one and was envious when he found out i'd get a chance to ride one on my solo trip(mousefest '04 land/sea). I can't believe he'll get a shot on our F&W festival getaway now all i have to do is keep from telling him:hyper::bitelip:. I just need to figure out how to get him up early for the tour:scratchin as i don't want him to know until he sees the segways:earseek::jumping2:. I can't wait to hear:listen:the reviews as my DH ask a CM last Xmas if guest would ever be able to ride them and he told him no :(. I'm going to score big points with this tour :hug: puckerup:

I'm going to score big points with this tour

Hmmmmm, I'm thinking I hear an add-on here.

And I'm talking about the points kind of add-on not the little tyke kind. ;)

While in Hawaii last October, my brother and I rented Segways for an hour's ride. While they are a lot of fun, it does take practice. Special care must be taken while getting on and off the vehicle so it doesn't scoot out from under you. This might be a problem for an 80 year old. You must keep it flat so it doesn't want to go forward or backwards as you step onto it one foot at a time.

I can see where they will require the 1st hour simply to learn how to ride. You will need to be competent on it before going out and riding around park with other riders. (Just like you wouldn't put a child on his/her first bicycle and let them try to ride in a group with others before he/she was in full control)

The hardest part is learning to 'unlearn' having to keep your balance all the time and let the machine do it for you. For example, to go forward, you lean forward, but not leaning at the waist but rather lean at the ankles. Try standing up and leaning forward at the ankles only, keeping your waist straight, putting your weight more onto your toes. Your body says you're falling forward and will want to lean backwards. This is the natural inclination you'll have to unlearn in order to ride a Segway.

If you've ever snow skiied you'll find it similar to leaning forward on your skis.

Just info, our Hawaii rental was $25 (after a $10 off discount coupon) and we got about 15 minutes instruction and then 1-hour's ride on our own. So the $68 Disney (after DVC discount) for 2-hours doesn't seem unreasonable.

Have fun.

ohhhhhhhhhh yaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I just found the info for this and printed it out and, and , and.........I am so psyched to get on it. I just took it over to my wife so we could could try......... and well, shell be 5 months and not able to do it........ but isn't she the best and said i could still go............:rolleyes: like there was a question of it!

has anyone tried this out down there? if so, could you share what the tour was like?

Thanks
T.

The Segway tours look great -- it's the 250lb. weight limit that eliminates me. Guess I'll have to join the WISH board to help remove the 51 pounds of flab hiding the other 200 pounds of rippling muscle.

The usual expression is "You and me both." But in your case and mine, added together, we might have to say, "All three of us!"

I just signed up DH and I for the Segway tour while we are at Member Homecoming in May. As another poster said, this is the first tour I could get DH to sign up for, even though I've done a couple myself. This one sounds like a blast!

Nancy :earsgirl:

I'm signed up to do this tour in three weeks with my sister in law. (My bride isn't interested.)

The weight limit was also a factor for me but it's a great insentive to trim some off. In the last month I've taken off 10 lbs, only 3 more to go!!! :hyper:

The hard part will be keeping it off for the three days we're there before we do the tour. ::yes::

Originally posted by disney4me4ever
I just signed up DH and I for the Segway tour while we are at Member Homecoming in May.

We're signed up in May also, sometime between the 21st and MH. I'll have to look up the exact date though, since DW made the ressie.

It's a shame that this is not available for kids. They would really enjoy it. My kids have ridden them and did very well so quickly.

We were at Put-in-Bay in Lake Erie, near Cedar Point. A guy has several of them and takes people on tours of the island. We did not have the time or money for a full tour, but for a few bucks he let our 4 kids, ages 10, 11, 13, & 13 ride them around the parking lot for about 10 minutes. He gave a quick lesson and they were off.

By the way, does anyone know the age restictions on the mouse boats? And whether they are available from the Beach Club too?
Thanks,
Rex

The water mice age restriction is 12 and they are available at the Beach Club. Although, I did read they were replacing all water mice with something else and I don't know if they are changing the age or not.

Our last trip the kids took the water mouse boats out from Fort Wilderness, so they had all of the Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon area to cover. Is there enough room on Cresant Lake to go anywhere? I also wonder the same thing about whatever the lake at Downtown Disney is called?

I hope that whatever you read about them being replaced by is an improvement because our kids will die if they can not do this.

We have 5 priorities for our July 2004 trip at BCV:

1) SAB

2) Water mouse boats

3) Disney Quest

4) Universal Studios

5) Islands of Adventure

The ones they are replacing them with are more enviromentally friendly. I wonder if that means they will be electronic and slower. As far as the lake, yes, it is smaller and I imagine after being on seven seas lagoon will not be as much fun. You can go all the way to MGM, but it is not close to the size of seven seas lagoon.

Originally posted by disney4me4ever
I just signed up DH and I for the Segway tour while we are at Member Homecoming in May. As another poster said, this is the first tour I could get DH to sign up for, even though I've done a couple myself. This one sounds like a blast!

Nancy :earsgirl:

Nancy - what day are you doing it. DH and I signed up for while we were down for Member Homecoming too. We are doing it the morning of the 24th.

When we were down in January, we watched one being demonstrated and were wishing we could try one. We plan to do this in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter