• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Banking Points blocked due timing of Reservations?

gobeavs8

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I have a situation where some of my points (luckily only a few) are being blocked and member services says they have no recourse.

What happened.

(points are made up for simplicity)

I received my Feb UY 10 Pt Contract in December of 2020. With 2 points banked giving me 12 for 2021.

I used 10 Points in August of 2021. then Bank 2 before my Banking Deadline. Giving me 12 for 2022.

In February of 2022, i book a 2 Pt Reservation for June and a 6 Pt Reservation in June in that order.

The 2pt reservation was canceled in March and I stay on the 6 Pt reservation.

Now, post trip i notice i can only bank 4 points.

They say that because the 2 banked points from 2021 attached themselves in the first reservation, and i have already stayed on the second they cannot reallocate the points as its impossible with the system.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Luckily its only a few amount of points, but i obviously want to avoid something similar in the future.

Hi,

I have a situation where some of my points (luckily only a few) are being blocked and member services says they have no recourse.

What happened.

(points are made up for simplicity)

I received my Feb UY 10 Pt Contract in December of 2020. With 2 points banked giving me 12 for 2021.

I used 10 Points in August of 2021. then Bank 2 before my Banking Deadline. Giving me 12 for 2022.

In February of 2022, i book a 2 Pt Reservation for June and a 6 Pt Reservation in June in that order.

The 2pt reservation was canceled in March and I stay on the 6 Pt reservation.

Now, post trip i notice i can only bank 4 points.

They say that because the 2 banked points from 2021 attached themselves in the first reservation, and i have already stayed on the second they cannot reallocate the points as its impossible with the system.

Has anyone had something similar happen? Luckily its only a few amount of points, but i obviously want to avoid something similar in the future.
I'm stuck on how you booked a 2-point reservation?

But here's a rundown of what happened:
  1. When you booked the 2-point reservation the system used your banked points.
  2. When you booked the 6-point reservation, the system used 6 points from your current UY's allotment.
  3. When you canceled the 2-point reservation, those 2 points were returned to you...but they were still banked points.
  4. If you had notified MS prior to staying on the 6-point reservation, they could have reallocated the 2 banked points to the reservation and freed up 2 of your current UY's points. You could have also skipped notifying MS and just modified the reservation online without changing anything and the banked points would have been used.

Last edited:
I'm stuck on how you booked a 2-point reservation?

But here's a rundown of what happened:
  1. When you booked the 2-point reservation the system used your banked points.
  2. When you booked the 6-point reservation, the system used 6 points from your current UY's allotment.
  3. When you canceled the 2-point reservation, those 2 points were returned to you...but they were still banked points.
  4. If you had notified MS prior to staying on the 6-point reservation, they could have reallocate the 2 banked points to the reservation and freedom up 2 of your current UY's points. You could have also skipped notifying MS and just modified the reservation online without changing anything and the banked points would have been used.
Yes, what you described is correct. So it sounds like im stuck with those banked points in 2022 if i have no other plans, and there is nothing member services can do.

I operated under the incorrect assumption that as long as i had used 2 points in 2022 i would be able to bank the rest. I didn't know that banked points were tracked like that and i should have paid closer attention to reservation booking timing or called in, i had assumed as long as i avoided any points going into holding i would be fine. Oh well, you live and learn :)

I was just using proxys for the numbers to make it simple.

Last edited:
I almost had the same thing happen to me. I booked a June reservation 1st which used my banked points then booked a November trip. Had to cancel June but was close to the holding window so I called member services. Member services had "rebooked" my November trip so my "banked" points would be used 1st. If I did not rebook I would have "lost" those banked points.

She got that elusive "super duper value room". She stated she simplified the points.

The system will use the banked points in the first trip that you book. If you cancel that trip, the banked points are returned to your account. You can move them into another reservation, but the system does not do that automatically for you. You must initiate that on your own by either modifying online or calling/chatting with MS and ask them to do it.

Once you take the trip, the option is no longer available because the points that were bankable were already used. So, the CM is correct in that there is nothing they can do now that the trip has been completed.

I know some wish it would be automatic, but the problem with that is that it then requires MS to figure out what the owner really wants and not everyone might want the same decision. So, its up to the owner to do it on their own.

There are a lot of nuisances to it all and many of us have done the exact same thing...me included...when we first became members!!!

When you cancelled the reservation that used the banked points you must modify the other reservation and the system will use the 2 points you banked for that reservation. The system will not do this automatically you have to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter