DS hates stroller, how to get used to it

skhermsmeyer

Donald's #1 with my kids! Go figure!
We're going to WDW in Dec for the 1st time and DS will be 15m when we go. He HATES his stroller :sad2: , how do I get him used to his stroller so I don't have to carry him around the MK, MGM & Epcot? Each time I put him in his stroller, he screams his head off and turns around to try and get out. I've tried letting him cry for 10 minutes when walking in the park (no one else is around), but I don't know if I should let him keep going or just go ahead and get him out. Any advice would be appreciated! :worship:

we ahve firends that were in a similar situation and had to acclimate the child to the stroller otherwise it'd have been one tired melt down after another. So they atrted doing things they knew were treats with her in it. Like getting popsicles only when she sat in the stroller appropriatly, or getting to watch a favorite 'movie' Baby Einstien or Seasame Street or they would take her out for a stroll and then reward her whatever the case was each time they got her in and out of it. She's still not a great rider but way better than she ever was before.

Have you considered a baby carrier? We went to wdw when my ds was 20 mos. He was not a stroller lover but loved to be carried in a baby carrier. We took our Beco baby carrier and I carried him on my back about 75% of the time. A good baby carrier is really priceless at Disney, imo, esp. when standing in line.

I honestly would not worry too much about the stroller hating. My ds did ride in the stroller even though he was not a lover of the stroller. There is so much going on and so much walking that even the biggest stroller hater ends up riding peacefully.

Of course, I would still recommend you get a good baby carrier. It's a lifesaver for us.

Our dd's always liked the stroller. But one thing they especially liked was if I tipped the stroller backwards, and did some "four wheeling" with them. They loved it, and would just giggle the whole time.

I think the first poster had the right idea. However, I would add that you should bring the stroller indoors. Leave it out in the open where he can explore it and play with it. I would also strap him in it several times a day (like the poster suggested) and let him watch his favorite tv show, or play with his favorite toy in it, or have his favorite snack in it. Only let him have them if he is sitting in it properly. There will be some crying and fits I'm sure, but do not give in - you are TRAINING him to like his stroller (I hope no one takes that the wrong way, but it is what it is) Once you have accomplished this, strap him in it and take him outside around the outside of your home. Then progress to public areas. Another thing to remember is that you should not take him out and hold him while walking/pushing the stroller (if he is that much of a stroller hater) because he will NEVER forget that, and he will cry to get out EVERY TIME you push him. If you want to get him out, stop somewhere and sit down and hold him while sitting - not walking.Strap him right back in once you start walking again.
I had a stroller hater too (my first son) and by the time my 3rd came along, I knew what NOT to do. We visited DW in May for the first time with our 3 children (DS 9, DD 3, and DS 1) and I don't know what I would have done without my double stroller. It is a MUST for safety reasons and if you still want to have a back left at the end of the day.:goodvibes

Good luck, I hope this helps:thumbsup2

Have you considered a baby carrier? We went to wdw when my ds was 20 mos. He was not a stroller lover but loved to be carried in a baby carrier. We took our Beco baby carrier and I carried him on my back about 75% of the time. A good baby carrier is really priceless at Disney, imo, esp. when standing in line.

I agree. We went when DD was 18 months old and I carried her in our Ergo baby carrier most of the time. Two days, I didn't even take the stroller into the park. I think it made her more comfortable to be up high, where she could see things, and closer to us.

In the summer months it might be way too hot to carry them all the time, but in December (or Feb when we went), it shouldn't be too bad. And the carrier is *so* much more convenient than a stroller -- just walk right into the line with it.

ETA: If you really want him to get used to the stroller, though, I would start off with small trips in it -- but make it a destination. You know, if he'll only tolerate the stroller for a minute before he cries, "stroll" him from the living room to the kitchen for a snack, then proclaim "We're here!" (Get there before he starts to fuss.) Then make the journeys a little longer each time (still staying within his "limits") so you can celebrate your arrival without tears. I am sure he will get used to riding, but if it becomes a power struggle, I think it'll be a problem. You have three months to "work up to it" so I'd start small.

I honestly would not worry too much about the stroller hating. My ds did ride in the stroller even though he was not a lover of the stroller. There is so much going on and so much walking that even the biggest stroller hater ends up riding peacefully.

Of course, I would still recommend you get a good baby carrier. It's a lifesaver for us.

Going to agree with this as well. When we went with DS at 5 months we carried him in a Mei Tai almost the whole time, we only brought the stroller with us to the parks 2 days out of the 6 we went. He was comfy and so were we and we didn't have to worry about maneuvering the stroller around the crowds. We actually went in September and it was really hot, but had no problems with DS in the carrier.

When we go next year we're planning on bringing a carrier for both children as well as a single stroller, we figure we'll leave the stroller in our room most days.

Another vote for a carrier---we almost never used a stroller, we had a Kelty Carrier (on the back) that even had a sun/rain hood.

It was expensive, but I got almost all the value out of it when I sold it after 3 years.

My DD, 16 mos., also hates her stroller. I am NOT a fan of those front carriers - they are way too hot for me and for her, even indoors! But, my husband uses a backpack, which has been helpful. Another idea - we have one of those big old travel systems (I call mine a "machine") and she hates it. Wouldn't you know, I got a simple umbrella stroller and she is happy as can be in that thing (I think it cost about $15 versus the $150 for the other!!!). Maybe try a different kind and it'll make a difference?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter