Dry scalp anyone?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Dry scalp is the one lovely pregnancy symptom that has not returned to normal after having my baby. It's not dandruff, it is most definitely dry scalp (there is a difference). Tried a variety of dandruff shampoos (when I thought it was dandruff) & they did not help.

Today, I tried a coconut oil treatment & it seemed to make an improvement.

I wondered if anyone has any experience with dry scalp & what worked for you?

& if you have done the coconut oil treatment, how often do you need to do it?

Thanks~

Baby shampoo. Seriously. My hairdresser recommended it as she was combing the flakes out of my hair. I had tried to dandruff shampoo too with no success. I used the baby shampoo every other day for 2 weeks and it cleared it up.

Baby shampoo. Seriously. My hairdresser recommended it as she was combing the flakes out of my hair. I had tried to dandruff shampoo too with no success. I used the baby shampoo every other day for 2 weeks and it cleared it up.

Thanks-we definitely have baby shampoo in the house! I will try this. Do you wash your hair every other day?

I used to wash my hair every day, but switched to every other day when possible.

Thanks. Sorry-one last dumb question-on the days when you don't wash your hair, do you use conditioner? I've never experienced this before, so I"m trying to figure this out & figure out what to change in my regular routine.

I am the exact opposite! My dry scalp went away completely during my pregnancy then was back with a vengeance 3 weeks post partum. I use T-gel and t-sal shampoo.

Thanks. Sorry-one last dumb question-on the days when you don't wash your hair, do you use conditioner? I've never experienced this before, so I"m trying to figure this out & figure out what to change in my regular routine.
No, I only use conditioner on my ends because it weighs down my hair if I use it at the roots.

dd has incredibly dry scalp. We tried T Gel & T Sal, they are for dandruff, not dry scalp. For my daughter these products made the situation worse.

I put straight coconut oil on her scalp before she showers. We use Allafia coconut shampoo, all natural. AKA the generic shampoo at Whole Foods. Amazon carries it as well. This helps a lot. She showers every other day.

If you have flakes from a dry scalp it is different from flakes of an oily scalp. Find a shampoo for your scalp type, physoderm had a nice shampoo, or Nutrigenia. You can try a baby shampoo too. But treat your hair with a conditioner that matches. For ex oily scalp, dry hair; you want a shampoo for the oily scalp and moisturizer for the dry hair.

I would love to have a real answer to this. I also suffer from dry scalp and feel like I have tried everything out there (including everything already mentioned in this thread) without total relief. Currently I use a gentle shampoo bar formulated for dry scalp and try to go a day between washings (which is difficult with frequent gym visits). The winter is the worst; and although this bar doesn't alleviate the dryness completely it generally keeps the itching and flakes under control.

Are you having large flakes and oily or is it just dry and itchy?

Dry, small flakes, not really itchy (maybe a little bit sometimes?), not oily.

The coconut oil treatment worked wonders from yesterday. We'll see how long it lasts.

I can't shower every other day because I have two little kids who like to touch my hair with their sticky fingers lol, plus I get messy from work. I will try to hampoo every other day & only condition on those opposite days.

The coconut oil treatment worked wonders from yesterday. We'll see how long it lasts.

I can't shower every other day because I have two little kids who like to touch my hair with their sticky fingers lol, plus I get messy from work. I will try to hampoo every other day & only condition on those opposite days.

Do you wash your hair at night or in the morning? Evening - put the coconut oil in an hour or so before. If morning, you can sleep with the oil in your hair. You don't need to do the coconut oil every day.

I would also STRONGLY recommend the Alaffia Coconut Shampoo.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaffia-Every...id=1453684186&sr=8-1&keywords=alaffia+shampoo

If your scalp is dry and flaky, you need more moisturizer, not less.

Dry scalp and dandruff come from the inside, not outside. I would consult with a dermatologist, as dry flaking scalp can be caused by many different problems.

Mix 2 - 3 table spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with about 1/2 cup of coconut oil - depending on hair length.

Melt in microwave for about 30 seconds or till warm and melted.

Put onto scalp and massage in, put remainder if hair. Leave for an hour and wash off. Do this twice a week to start and once you notice dry scalp is not itchy or flacky, switch to once a week.

We use this method for my daughters scalp and it works wonders.

We use a sauce dispenser bottle to pour it out easily with no mess.

Hopefully it works!

My dd has the large flakes and oily, so that is why I ask. That is a different type of dandruff. Basically it is "adult cradle cap" which is psoriasis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter