• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive to the parks or DVC bus?

Bus or drive to the parks?

• Always bus

• Mostly bus

• Sometimes bus

• Never bus

Results are only viewable after voting.
We use our car to go everywhere.
Not any sort of knock on the bus system--just that a car provides so much more flexibility getting to shopping, restaurants, pools, miniature golf, etc. Plus, when we do leave a park, it's so much easier getting to these other spots w/o spending lots of time on (and waiting for) a bus.

The only time we use the bus is to MK. So far no problems with that. We'll see on our next trip (BWV). We have found it much easier with a stroller to drive. We also had one of those awful bus rides where I was holding a baby, backpack and stroller on a standing only bus (that was on a bus from MK to MGM - we'll never do that again!)

We have visited WDW three times with car on property. All three times we used the WDW transportation system and left the car sit. I enjoyed not driving, especially after a long day at the parks. And we like to hop around the property and not having to get back to the beginning to find a car was a plus.

We have however, driven to the parks when we have stayed off site twice. But those were unusual situations.

Most of our trips are without a car. We find the WDW transportation system to run very well, particularly if you understand how mass transit systems function.

The bus service is an insult down there. I always take my car. Only when I have guests do I use the bus to go to MK only, still drive to other spots, unless I have more than 3 guests, then we have to suffer with the buses.

I voted "never" to using the bus, but on a 5-7 day trip we may only drive to AK, DisneyQuest/Pleasure Island or MK for "e" night so we can sprint "home" at 12am. We always use the car once for groceries or a run to the drugstore when someone's sick. We like walking thru Epcot in the am from BCV or BW to the mono rail to MK and of course we take the boat to MGM. We find these transportation modes relaxing - not harried. And I fibbed....we do take the bus when we go to "Hoop De Doo".

Last year we had a dinner at CG that lasted 3 hours (we were seated at least an hour after our PS) and we missed the last MR and had to take a cab. We wished we had driven our car over there because our toddler expired! (BTW - The dinner was fantastic because our waiter made it special to make up for our wait.)

I think our general dislike of the bus system stems from the one trip when we didn't have a car and had to take the bus with two toddlers from CB. It seemed like we were on the busses forever and were always waiting, waiting and/or waiting. I guess I've never gotten over it! And we have so many credits/points from reward programs that we usually are able to get "free" or reduced rates on cars. On a recent trip to visit family out west, however, our "free" car cost us over $150 in taxes alone!

Bus.

This trip I expect to liberally augment the bus with taxis. We'll be travelling with two older ladies and they can't stand on the BWV bus.

I don't like to drive. I don't like to rent cars. It isn't the cost, its the hassle - especially in Orlando where I have had the worst rental experiences (have had great stroll to your car and pick it up experiences in other airports. In Orlando, I discover the car I'm suppose to pick up isn't there, or is the wrong size, or they are out of carseats, or I get back and they charge me for the ding that was there when I picked up the car).

Thanks for the great poll, voted never bus ~ We have stayed onsite twice (ASM & OKW) since DD and have always drove because at these resorts our only option was bus & I couldn’t imagine waiting for bus, folding up stroller (it is one of those full size ones & does fold down, but not very small!) to get on the bus along w/diaper bag, camera bag, & everything else I always seem to think we will need, only to get off bus & do the whole thing over again for tram, excluding the fact the bus could be too full for all this, &/or subjecting innocent guests to our load!!! We will be returning this Dec. w/DD (will be 2 ½), and new baby due Aug. 7, our usual load & this time a small (ha! ha!) Double Stroller, so I thought of choosing a home w/ walking or boat access to some of the parks, however we do love OKW & I never realized the bus to MK skipped the parking tram, boat/mono (just more great advice from this board)! Any more advice/info/experiences on moving between resort & parks with small children & DH w/his hands full, you could share would be greatly appreciated? Happy Wednesday ~ Christine :D

Christine,

Post over to the family board and you'll get lots of advice on moving around the parks with children.

I'm not the best person to give you advice, as mine is rent the stroller so you don't need to deal with it on the bus, throw three diapers and six wipes in a ziploc bag into a fanny pack along with the smallest camera sold and two packs of fruit snacks, and go. You don't sound like that kind of traveller.

Crisi,
You are my hero! I really do want to just rent a stroller someday, however our first 2 trips DD was just so small & still was able to complete at least 2hr. naps in her own comfy stroller, we also were able to stay until closing at annual wine & food fest both yrs w/her asleep for the night. Thanks for the family board advice however I really do think my answer is right here ~ stay w/the car until I am able to travel like you!!

Is it just me, or is Richyams' response a little offensive. Not wanting to be guilted into giving up your seat for a 'preggo' or 'blue hair'? Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to your opinion and to your seat, but for goodness' sake, show a little respect!!!

(If you were just joking about those terms, pardon my sensitivity.)

Originally posted by catsfan
Is it just me, or is Richyams' response a little offensive. Not wanting to be guilted into giving up your seat for a 'preggo' or 'blue hair'? Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to your opinion and to your seat, but for goodness' sake, show a little respect!!!

(If you were just joking about those terms, pardon my sensitivity.)
You have to know and get used to Rich. He is one of those people that will says things just to get a rise and you never know whether he's being honest or just pushing your buttons. Don't take him too seriously and all should be fine.

You have to know and get used to Rich. He is one of those people that will says things just to get a rise and you never know whether he's being honest or just pushing your buttons. Don't take him too seriously and all should be fine.
When someone makes discriminatory and prejudiced statements regarding others their true feelings are being told regardless of whether they try to poo poo it off as humor. People that do not feel prejudice towards others would not even think thoughts like this let alone say/post them. People that are not prejudiced and dicriminatory do not find humor in statements like this, they find them rude and offensive! When others just dismiss these types of statements by saying it is only "humor" or "pushing buttons" are condoning and feeding the prejudice and dicrimination by just standing by and saying nothing!
It is very sad that after all that has happened in the world especially in the past few years, that someone could be so rude, shallow and prejudiced. Statements such as these would never be tolerated in the real world or in the work place, why they are on these boards has always amazed me. Frankly the statements referred to in this thread were some of the milder discriminatory and prejudiced statements I have read on these boards, I have read some posts on the debate board that were down right disgusting. I will never "get used to", nor do I want to "get used to" rude and prejudiced behavior or statements.
If someone posts a thread regarding room occupancy limits the thread is immediately closed, yet statements reflecting prejudice or containing discriminatory and offensive comments are allowed to remain! :confused:
Hello, moderators, there is something very wrong with this picture.

Lets get this thread closed.

I think the problems with the world are mostly due to tight a people who take themselves too seriously. See themselves as above others and look to others for that justification. I see it as a personality defect. Something that needs to be worked on.

By the way, my wife was a preggo once and I am looking forward to spending many blue hair years with her.

Get a life.

We don't need to close the thread. The discussion about busses and cars was interesting for some of us.

I agree completely, THe only time I have been on a WDW bus is in Ft Wilderness. You have to park and then bus to the Hoop Dee Doo.....I gues my distaste for busses doesn't run that deep. I could have parked at the MK and taken the boat the Pioneer Hall. I really don't have a problem with riding the busses, except for the aforementioned giving up your seat scenerios, I just prefer the freedom the car provides.

I don't even think the waits are that big of a deal. Its really the freedom and options the car offers. Changing plans, hitting Ohana's or any resort restaruant for breakfast or dinner on a whim is just not possible confined to a bus.

I voted "sometimes" and this is mainly for the MK. We like to avoid the whole TTC thing. We've used the busses on a few occassions to Epcot and MGM also. But we find we can get into every park with much more ease, speed & convenience using our own car. I do like the boats though. We've used the boat from the Boardwalk area to MGM, the boat from OKW to DD and the boat from the WL to MK.

I only stayed at OKW once and the bus that went through the resort was terrible. It was during a slow season and after waiting 25 minutes with some other folks we gave up. When your car is right near your villa door, it makes a lot of sense. At BWV we take the bus to MK and AK and drive to DD or other resorts for meals. I will admit that sometimes we stop at a MK resort for a meal and then take the monorail into the parks. They seem to be more particular regarding the security station stop at the resorts post 9/11 though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter