Drive or fly from NC?

miamimama

Mouseketeer
We always take a direct flight on Delta from RDU to MCO ( used to take SW but very few directs now). But with all of the issues and Covid and rental cars prices (can’t find less than $550wk Nov 12) driving may be really the better option now. Anyone else in our situation? But dreading I95! 😦 We are old so need to stop halfway- good hotels near the interstate around Savanah/maybe a little further South. ?

Last edited:
As a kid, we drove from Asheboro to FL (and MCO in particular) a number of times and I super miss that drive (this was pre-screens, etc so anything we did to entertain was our own stuff). Honestly, I sort of want my kids to have that experience (though I recognize flying works better than driving for me at the moment). Best of luck. I, too, have been contemplating rental car and ... yeesh!

I always fly from Atlanta, stay on property and don’t rent a car. I hate driving…especially the drive back.

We are flying for our December trip (SW direct) and using Magical Express for the last time. I will only fly direct since ATL (the typical transfer/stop) is always a nightmare and there is always a risk to miss a connection, especially if flights are on different concourses.

ME being suspended in Januaey definitely tips the economics back to driving. Renting a car or using a ride-share service, make the flying option even more costly. Tradeoffs are gas, time and, for you, hotel. We leave before 6am to get to WDW before afternoon rush hour.

With ME, the cost is usually a toss up and time is about the same (get to airport 1-1.5 hours early, park, security, flight, get baggage, wait for ME, drive to WDW), but you arrive less tired/stressed. Without ME, the additional costs make driving the most economical option, especially since we are DVC and don't have to pay parking fees, but the drive leaves us more tired and irritable (I-95 and I-4!).

We are from CT and with all the stress of flying these days, I'm considering driving in December. I already have flights booked on SW and will wait and see how it goes but in a lot of ways, driving just seems easier and less stressful since we wouldn't be at the mercy of some airline strike or protest that nobody seems to know anything about!

If I lived in NC, that would be a no-brainer!

If you are traveling in mid-November, I think it is already too late to buy reasonably priced airline tickets. A quick google search shows Spirit airlines with the best price, but I would never fly with them. Lots of older thread about all of their issues with cancelled flights and people getting stranded for several days until the next available flight.

Flying vs driving for any destination more then 600 miles away is mostly a matter of budget and the size of your party. Obviously, everyone needs to pay for an airline ticket, but putting 2 people vs 5 in the same car doesn't really change the cost of driving.

It’s a 540 mile trip for us in NC, but it takes a while for us to get to 95. The worst part of the drive is South Carolina....only two lanes and it makes us crazy...especially the left lane sitters. We do it in 8 hours.
I’ve previously stayed in Brunswick, GA. It’s 31/2 to 4 hours to Disney. The worst traffic spots is Jacksonville, FL and the city of Orlando. There is a bypass around Jacksonville that is helpful during rush hour. Orlando is having lots of construction....they are building an easy pass lane that is supposed to help cure the traffic woes.....but right now it’s a bit of a challenge. Lots of people prefer to get on 417 by Sanford....I think it’s exit 100 or 101... not sure. It’s longer by 20 miles but not as trafficky sometimes. It’s a toll road and they used to only accept Florida Sun Pass, but they did start converting to Easy Pass. It eventually leads to Disney.
When you say “old”....how old is old? 70? 75?

It’s a 540 mile trip for us in NC, but it takes a while for us to get to 95. The worst part of the drive is South Carolina....only two lanes and it makes us crazy...especially the left lane sitters. We do it in 8 hours.
I’ve previously stayed in Brunswick, GA. It’s 31/2 to 4 hours to Disney. The worst traffic spots is Jacksonville, FL and the city of Orlando. There is a bypass around Jacksonville that is helpful during rush hour. Orlando is having lots of construction....they are building an easy pass lane that is supposed to help cure the traffic woes.....but right now it’s a bit of a challenge. Lots of people prefer to get on 417 by Sanford....I think it’s exit 100 or 101... not sure. It’s longer by 20 miles but not as trafficky sometimes. It’s a toll road and they used to only accept Florida Sun Pass, but they did start converting to Easy Pass. It eventually leads to Disney.
When you say “old”....how old is old? 70? 75?

We are mid 60"s but don't really feel it. Appreciate all of the advice everyone!

We are mid 60"s but don't really feel it. Appreciate all of the advice everyone!
Lol, us too. Our age group has been referred to as “elderly” on some news programs. We’re both in good shape and don’t feel old. Can’t do night driving any more, don’t feel comfortable. When the time comes we will most likely break up the drive into 4 hour segments and overnight at a chain hotel along 95. Free breakfast!

We always take a direct flight on Delta from RDU to MCO ( used to take SW but very few directs now). But with all of the issues and Covid and rental cars prices (can’t find less than $550wk Nov 12) driving may be really the better option now. Anyone else in our situation? But dreading I95! 😦 We are old so need to stop halfway- good hotels near the interstate around Savanah/maybe a little further South. ?
How many miles for one way to WDW?

I live outside of Raleigh and usually fly. I did drive down in Jan 2021 and it took almost 11 hours with stops since I've got early elementary aged kids.

Brunswick should have some good hotels if you want to get closer to southern GA.

9 hours from Wilmington, we have done it a dozen times... it gets old but the freedom to change plans and cost savings are worth it.

The Savannah airport is right next to I-95, so there are lots of chain hotels and restaurants right in that area.

Another thing you could do is visit a couple of interesting places as separate one-day stops on your trip. Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA, and St. Augustine, FL are all nice spots with lots of interesting things to see and do. All 3 are just off I-95.

There are FIVE airlines that offer direct non-stop flights from RDU to MCO, be sure to check more than just Delta and SW.. Those five airlines are SW, American, Delta, Spirit, and Frontier.. Also keep in mind that airlines are constant changing/adding flights so keep checking!

IMHO, I always recommend flying over driving..

There are FIVE airlines that offer direct non-stop flights from RDU to MCO, be sure to check more than just Delta and SW.. Those five airlines are SW, American, Delta, Spirit, and Frontier.. Also keep in mind that airlines are constant changing/adding flights so keep checking!

IMHO, I always recommend flying over driving..
American does not have a direct flight from RDU to MCO and Spirit and Frontier usually only have 1 offering a day (and they are much less reliable). When booking flights for a family SW and Delta are usually the best airlines to use on the RDU to MCO route.

American does not have a direct flight from RDU to MCO and Spirit and Frontier usually only have 1 offering a day (and they are much less reliable). When booking flights for a family SW and Delta are usually the best airlines to use on the RDU to MCO route.

American offers a seasonal direct-non stop service between RDU and MCO, typically during peak periods and the summer months.. Depending on when the OP is traveling, this may be an option..

Half our group lives E of Charlotte, half in Boone. We "divide and conquer" by borrowing the Boone mini-van, load all luggage and miscellany, then drive I-95 with an overnight stop (to and from Boone adds about 250 miles and may be separate day). Then next day the Boone crew which includes the grandkids, flies Allegiant from Asheville w/just backpacks. The car crew cks in, off loads luggage, and then does the pick up run to the Sanford Airport. It's weather dependent since we travel in Jan., so the first park day is low key in case flight is cancelled. We are three generations, 5 adults and 3 kids. Repeat for returns--not actually a nightmare.

American Airlines cancelled our CLT-MCO leg, so we had to rent a car (from the Concord airport, since none were available at CLT) and drive to Orlando overnight. We did it about 7.5 hours, but driving in the middle of the night helped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter