Drive from St Louis to Orlando - through Alabama.

We live in St. Louis and are leaving this Friday for Orlando. We have gone both ways and have found the Georgia route is the way to go. Much faster.

I live in Birmingham and over the years have made 30+ trips to WDW. I have tried every way possible from here.. I avoid ATLANTA completely (it adds an hour to my trip even if there is no traffic....which would be sometime in the middle of the night.) I take US Hwy 280 out of Birmingham to the GA-520 - this connects with I-75 in Tifton, GA. About 3.5 to 4 hours from Bham to Tifton.
We live in north Alabama and make this trip frequently. You will save time by avoiding Atlanta at all costs. There is usually road work or accidents when you drive through Atlanta. We take this same route through Tifton. Our GPS also agrees that this is faster.

St. Louisan, here -- tried both routes, and found even though Atlanta can be crazy at times, it's still about an hour faster than going the SE Alabama route...

1. I-40 to West Memphis, 2. I-55 to Southaven, MS, 3. 302/Goodman Road to 78 (this is a bypass around the industrial areas on 78 through Memphis, i.e. the port area with high big truck traffic), 4. 78 to Birmingham, 5. 280 to Tifton, GA, 6. I-75 to the Florida Turnpike

I hope this is helpful, we try to avoid Atlanta and Dothan. Do you take I-40 from Fort Smith to Little Rock? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you and we do take I40 through Little Rock.

Hi there, sorry to revive an old thread!

Leaving from Tuscaloosa for WDW tomorrow and just stumbled on to all of this advice. Would most people still suggest the Tifton route as the most efficient/least annoying?

Driving with my mother who is older and also has a cold I we are looking dorm less traffic/stress...etc. (Who isn't....?)

Thanks in advance! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter