Drinking topic on Podcasts

Can anyone help with a quick query please. We will be in Orlando this December for 2 weeks (from the UK), we are aged 51 & 44. I know that valid photo ID is required to buy alcohol but we don't have driving licenses and really don't want to carry our passports around all day. Is that the only option or do people even ask for ID if we're this old?
I was asked for id at Oga's a couple of weeks ago and I am in my 40s. Yak and Yeti had my drivers license already because I was using my Landry's birthday reward.

Last edited:
In all my years in the USA I have never been asked for ID when buying alcohol. If you look like you might be under 21 then they might ask, but if you are over 40 you will definitely not need photo ID. Enjoy your holiday!
I'm 44, I've been carded multiple times at WDW. Luckily, as a British person, I planned my alcohol purchase, and had my passport with me.

Odd that some people have been 'carded' many times at WDW whereas I have never been. And this includes buying alcohol in the parks, at hotels (both at the bar and in the shop) and off-property. Maybe I just look old! Good to carry your passport at all times anyway, I keep mine in a waterproof bag in my rucksack.

I was thinking that. Maybe HRH/ AS Movies can stamp the copy to suggest they have seen the original?
I've never had a problem myself, in fact when I have mistakenly once tried to use my driving licence, out of habit, i was met with a very rude cm (my fault but there was a lot of attitude there) so now I always carry a few photo copies with me in the parks just in case of a splash mountain / kali RR incident 😂 I also don't blame the cm for refusing me but as a greying 31 year old i don't appreciate being treated like I'm underage and lying about it when it was a simple mistake on my part...
You don't find issues that often but if the cm chooses not to sell to you we would just accept that and go somewhere else. We are both in our 30s so it's not like we are 'chancing it' to get around the rules but we found some cm stricter than others and some understood that we didn't want to carry the most valuable thing we owned (our passport) around a busy theme part for 2 weeks 😊

Wow, I wonder why they do that for people who are obviously over the legal drinking age.
Some places have a standing policy to card everyone. I guess that eliminates the need for the cashier or bartender to have to guess how old someone is and it greatly reduces the odds of an underage person getting missed because they happen to look older. It certainly doesn't bother me. It's always been clearly posted at the places that do this.

Apparently all 'aliens' must at all times carry the document that grants permission for them to be in the United States. I quote:-

"Section 264(e) of the Immigration & Nationality Act
Section 262 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) mandates that all foreign nationals must register with the appropriate government agency upon entering the United States. Once aliens have registered, Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act that all citizens of another country 18 years or older must carry some form of identification with them at all times. As stated in the INA:

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both."
That basically means your passport with the immigration stamp and your visa if you need one, or a Nexus card if you are Canadian. So not carrying your actual documentation with you at all times seems to be illegal.

Some places have a standing policy to card everyone. I guess that eliminates the need for the cashier or bartender to have to guess how old someone is and it greatly reduces the odds of an underage person getting missed because they happen to look older. It certainly doesn't bother me. It's always been clearly posted at the places that do this.
I have a friend who went full grey hair at 17 (uk) and has not been i.d'd, maybe some people just look too darn young! And fair play to them 😊

Apparently all 'aliens' must at all times carry the document that grants permission for them to be in the United States. I quote:-

"Section 264(e) of the Immigration & Nationality Act
Section 262 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) mandates that all foreign nationals must register with the appropriate government agency upon entering the United States. Once aliens have registered, Section 264(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act that all citizens of another country 18 years or older must carry some form of identification with them at all times. As stated in the INA:

That basically means your passport with the immigration stamp and your visa if you need one, or a Nexus card if you are Canadian. So not carrying your actual documentation with you at all times seems to be illegal.
Very impractical if you're in a swimming pool or on a water ride.

Many countries have similar laws - Portugal, where I live does. I've lived here for 10 years and have never been asked to show my passport. I wouldn't imagine many people will carry such an important document with them every single day of the year just in case someone asked.
We're not talking about photo ID here, we're talking about documents you cannot afford to lose - so why would anyone in their right mind take their passport for a night out with friends - to the supermarket etc etc.

Very impractical if you're in a swimming pool or on a water ride.

Many countries have similar laws - Portugal, where I live does. I've lived here for 10 years and have never been asked to show my passport. I wouldn't imagine many people will carry such an important document with them every single day of the year just in case someone asked.
We're not talking about photo ID here, we're talking about documents you cannot afford to lose - so why would anyone in their right mind take their passport for a night out with friends - to the supermarket etc etc.

The law is the law and the law says you have to carry it with you. Obviously when swimming this is impractical, I suppose any law enforcement officer would allow you to go back to your hotel to get it if it is close by. But technically you could be detained or fined if you aren't carrying it. And you can carry it upon your person on a night out without losing it (i.e in a front trouser pocket) and I really don't see the problem with taking it to the supermarket, unless said supermarket is in a really dangerous area where there is a good chance of being mugged.

The law is the law and the law says you have to carry it with you. Obviously when swimming this is impractical, I suppose any law enforcement officer would allow you to go back to your hotel to get it if it is close by. But technically you could be detained or fined if you aren't carrying it. And you can carry it upon your person on a night out without losing it (i.e in a front trouser pocket) and I really don't see the problem with taking it to the supermarket, unless said supermarket is in a really dangerous area where there is a good chance of being mugged.
I'm sorry I honestly don't mean to sound rude but are you the ID police? For someone visiting the U.S on holiday to have a document as important as a passport on them 24/7 is nothing short of crazy - if it's stolen or gets lost you are in serious trouble. I'll take a fine over a loss/theft any day. That is what hotel safes are for - to put valuables, such as passports in them. Anyone taking a risk with a passport is very silly IMO. I was once a Tour rep I know how many get lost, damaged or stolen year on year.

EDITED TO ADD - I have now got a colour copy of my passport that has been laminated, hopefully that will do when out and about.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I honestly don't mean to sound rude but are you the ID police? For someone visiting the U.S on holiday to have a document as important as a passport on them 24/7 is nothing short of crazy - if it's stolen or gets lost you are in serious trouble. I'll take a fine over a loss/theft any day. That is what hotel safes are for - to put valuables, such as passports in them. Anyone taking a risk with a passport is very silly IMO. I was once a Tour rep I know how many get lost, damaged or stolen year on year.

EDITED TO ADD - I have now got a colour copy of my passport that has been laminated, hopefully that will do when out and about.

No need to get abusive. Calm down. I'm one of those people who has always managed to carry my passport with me and have not lost it in 30+ years of worldwide travel. I guess I must be 'nothing short of crazy' and 'very silly' according to you. OR maybe I'm just careful with important documents? Where were you a tour rep? If it was looking after drunk tourists in the Med then that experience isn't useful for those of us here who are seasoned world travellers who can look after themselves and can act like adults.

Last edited:
No need to get abusive. Calm down. I'm one of those people who has always managed to carry my passport with me and have not lost it in 30+ years of worldwide travel. I guess I must be 'nothing short of crazy' and 'very silly' according to you. OR maybe I'm just careful with important documents? Where were you a tour rep? If it was looking after drunk tourists in the Med then that experience isn't useful for those of us here who are seasoned world travellers who can look after themselves and can act like adults.
I've been a tour rep all over the world and it was usually older couples that lost passports. I'm 51 years old and have never lost an important document, usually because it's placed in the hotel safe where it's insured.

I've been a tour rep all over the world and it was usually older couples that lost passports. I'm 51 years old and have never lost an important document, usually because it's placed in the hotel safe where it's insured.
And I've never lost a passport even though I've always carried it upon my person whilst abroad (apart from when at the beach, naturally). Shall we leave it at acknowledging that some people are hopeless and will leave their passport on the bar when going to the toilet and some of us are fundamentally more careful than that, even if we've had a drink. Anyway, I'm not going to reply any more to this, you have a good point & peace and love to you ♥.

20 years ago when I was working in the bars the foreign college kids always had their passports on them.

No comment on legalities and practicality of carrying a passport - but personally I always try to have some form of ID with me and it’s not just about alcohol. You could become sick or injured or some other emergency where it would be helpful.

As far as alcohol goes, I’m way too old for there to be any doubt but some businesses require ID no matter what. Or it may just be an individual who doesn’t want to deal with guessing people’s age. The penalties for serving someone underage are extremely harsh. You can’t blame them for erring on the side of caution.

I honestly can’t remember on my last few Disney trips if/when I got carded but I’m always ready for it so it doesn’t matter to me either way. Based on other replies it probably won’t be an issue for anyone 40+ but be aware that if they ask and you don’t have it you won’t be served.

I travel with my two adult children both in their twenties. They carry their original bilingual Welsh/English driving licences, a photocopy of their passports (in ziplocks) and digital copies in their mobile telephones. A number of CMs at WDW acknowledged how much they appreciated being able to check a photocopy rather than peering at a digital copy on a mobile. We saw one ‘alien’ couple at Traders Sams refused alcohol because they only had one form of ID. They presented the ‘risk of losing original passport’ argument and the CM came over to my daughter, asked to borrow the photocopy of her passport and took it to show the ‘alien’ couple. (Now I am singing a Sting song in my head😂).
Son adult child is travelling/working in Central and South America for a year. He also has hidden copies of his passport tucked in his rucksack, day bag etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!