Drinking topic on Podcasts

Every guest inside a park has either a Magic Band or a physical ticket (or both) which both access the same systems. Stop letting one person go up to the counter and buy more than one drink. You want a drink? You need to go up and get it yourself. Limit one at a time.

The next step is to put a time limit on ordering. Just as there is a time limit on refilling your soda mug, there should be a time limit on buying alcoholic drinks. An average adult can metabolize an average drink in one hour. I don't have any particular objection to people having a good time and being a little buzzed if that's what they want to do, so maybe the limit could be one drink every 40 minutes with some maximum number as well. Yes, that will kill 'Drinking Around the World' but it will also eliminate people stumbling around wasted, vomiting in flower beds, and acting like a bunch of frat boys in the middle of a family-oriented theme park.

Just because a lot of guests are using Disney transportation, there is also a parking lot filled with thousands of cars so a great many people are getting behind the wheel at some point. Maybe they should also do what sporting events and concerts do and stop serving 60 minutes before park closing time.

We love WDW. We love Epcot, especially at night, but we will absolutely not visit World Showcase on a weekend evening during Food and Wine and that's a shame, and I know we are far from the only ones who feel that way. Disney needs to decide what they want that park to be.
one person one drink would punish people doing what I did, which was get one drink for me and one for my husband so one of us was with the children (who we never took into a bar etc), but we could have one drink each, at the same time (it was the only one we had that day)

I agree with what other people are saying, in that Disney cannot really control peoples drinking. If people want to drink in excess they'll find someway to make it work. Since there are expensive (but not outrageous compared to say going out in Philadelphia), I'll stick with whats on the meal plan and one more. Why people would drink till there falling over at Disney is beyond me. I can't imagine getting passed out drunk at Disney (got rope drop to get to).

That being said, there beverages do generally pack quite a powerful punch, so making them weaker would be a great solution. From my experience security is incredibly responsive when issues arise, so I don't get very concerned about other guests who hit the sauce too hard. I've never been to an Epcot festival, but can say I've never seen a guest getting out of control that wasn't' handled immediately. And even thats rare.
100% agree with the rope drop comment, I appreciate an alcoholic beverage or a couple but if I have a strict itinerary I want to be bright eyed and bushy tailed the next day! And I am totally not a morning person to begin with...
I have to be honest myself and DH have only ever run into one 'merry' person in epcot. He was buying multiple glasses of sake and told us we were his new friends (not good enough friends to buy sake for tho lol) and while DH and I sipped our drink he spent a decent amount of money.
As I've said I'm not adverse to a bevvy or 2 but I still need to pay my mortgage when I get home, and haggard is not a good look in anyones vacation photos...

Walt had the right idea...

Pay $10k to get a drink?

Also you realize things would likely be worse if not allowed at all. People would be sneaking in booze or out right getting trashed before entering. If you think Disney would throw these people out its very doubtful as they barely do anything now to guests acting poorly that likely wouldnt change.

Its the same issue with the drinks not being served after a certain point at sporting events. All I see is those who have been drinking a ton then stocking up. Its a personal responsibility thing and easier access to drinking actually will lead towards "those people" not over indulging more aggressively prior to getting to a "dry area".

Ever been to a college football game where alcohol is not served? I wouldn't say many are that well behaved or sober or are not sneaking in boos (instead of beer because its less volume for more "buzz").

Also you realize things would likely be worse if not allowed at all. People would be sneaking in booze or out right getting trashed before entering. If you think Disney would throw these people out its very doubtful as they barely do anything now to guests acting poorly that likely wouldnt change.
That didn't happen at MK or Disneyland Park when they didn't have booze with any consequential frequency.

Would you like to build a straw man?

I just had a thought (and it died of loneliness) :lmao: - seriously - if you feel you HAVE to have drinks to the point of getting trashed, loud, and obnoxious, and disturbing others,NO MATTER WHERE THAT IS (WDW, local dive, cruise ship) and especially modeling boorish behavior around children, it's a problem. YOU have a PROBLEM. That is NOT the person, out for the night, having a cocktail, or wine or two, and enjoying themselves. Consenting adults and all.

And this comes from somebody who fully admits to having "had a snootfull" more than once in the past, while at WDW, including Epcot. I don't remember acting like a jack, but I certainly hope not. And if I did, it's a good thing I gave up drinking (and smoking) 10 years ago!!

it is what it is with epcot and drinking. stop making everything disney's responsibility. yes they have to police the park but they can't control every aspect of every guest's decision making.

by all means if somebody acts up they can get the boot. otherwise work around it or deal with it. i've been to Epcot three times and all three were during festivals. it's entirely manageable. the comparisons to "frat parties" are laughable.

Not enough for me to notice it over many trips over decades before they allowed booze other than in Club 33.

So when you were on your vacation, you were focused on looking for drunk people or people sneaking booze in?

I'm not picking on you, but it's a pretty ill-informed statement to assume Disney hasn't dealt with those issues a lot before alcohol was involved. I don't think WDW of DL would voluntarily start announcing the yearly figures for those they've dealt with trying to smuggle booze into the park, it would create a bad image for them.

So when you were on your vacation, you were focused on looking for drunk people or people sneaking booze in?

I'm not picking on you, but it's a pretty ill-informed statement to assume Disney hasn't dealt with those issues a lot before alcohol was involved. I don't think WDW of DL would voluntarily start announcing the yearly figures for those they've dealt with trying to smuggle booze into the park, it would create a bad image for them.
I'm saying it wasn't a noticeable problem for the average park guest like it is in World Showcase.

My wife and I stayed at AKL on September 7 for a quick Food and Wine trip. On the way home that evening, on the bus there were three really drunk people loudly cursing worse than a drunk sailor. The F bombs were flying left and right. There were children all around us and I could see parents being upset at these people.

I have no issues with people drinking. Heck, I enjoy a cocktail and wine with dinner. But for Pete’s sake, you’re at Disney. Know it’s a family place and have some class.
People like that probably curse badly even when they are sober - some people just have bad manners 24/7 (though obviously booze does make some a***holes worse though). Personally, even if I have had too much to drink on vacation I don't suddenly start shouting and swearing, I just get happy and then sleepy! But then I'm very well behaved when sober. The minority of over-drinkers who get aggressive should be dealt with proactively by security and the rest of us quiet imbibers can be left in peace.

Can anyone help with a quick query please. We will be in Orlando this December for 2 weeks (from the UK), we are aged 51 & 44. I know that valid photo ID is required to buy alcohol but we don't have driving licenses and really don't want to carry our passports around all day. Is that the only option or do people even ask for ID if we're this old?

Can anyone help with a quick query please. We will be in Orlando this December for 2 weeks (from the UK), we are aged 51 & 44. I know that valid photo ID is required to buy alcohol but we don't have driving licenses and really don't want to carry our passports around all day. Is that the only option or do people even ask for ID if we're this old?
Depends where you are. I'm not sure about on Disney property. I don't think I've ever been carded there. But offsite, many places card everybody just to avoid issues. I got carded buying wine coolers at Target in Kissimmee.

[/

I’m 46 and wasn’t asked for my ID one time on my trip in August. I don’t remember what happed on previous trips, so I’m not sure if my last trip was an outlier or not.

Most bars and restaurants won’t card you at that age. You’re more likely to get carded at grocery stores and gift shops, who tend to have policies to card everyone. I can’t remember any WDW locations where I was asked to show ID.

I’m 41 and my wife is 37. I cannot remember the last time either of us has been carded at Disney. We typically have an alcoholic beverage with our meals.

In all my years in the USA I have never been asked for ID when buying alcohol. If you look like you might be under 21 then they might ask, but if you are over 40 you will definitely not need photo ID. Enjoy your holiday!

In all my years in the USA I have never been asked for ID when buying alcohol. If you look like you might be under 21 then they might ask, but if you are over 40 you will definitely not need photo ID. Enjoy your holiday!
As I said, the exception is buying alcohol at a liquor store or grocery store, not drinks at a bar. Many of those places card everyone as store policy. Heck, even here in NJ, there are stores that card everyone.

As I said, the exception is buying alcohol at a liquor store or grocery store, not drinks at a bar. Many of those places card everyone as store policy. Heck, even here in NJ, there are stores that card everyone.
Of all the the times I've bought wine or spirits in Orlando area liquor stores over the last 20 years I've never been asked for ID (I'm 48). But your experience may be different to mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter