Dress Like an Onion! If You're a Kid, Dress Like a Cocktail Onion! Alaska 7/3-7/10 COMPLETE!

Oh my gosh I'm so excited to try Tiana's!!

Was this your first time trying late dining (I can't remember but seem to think you've always done early?) DD seemed to handle if fine (first night anyway :flower1:)

I read your report, but don't think that I realized you were in 6134! Did you love it? I have heard it is a bit of a "hidden gem" because of the price (due to the small obstruction on the veranda). We are so excited about Alaska!

I don't think I talked about the cabin in my report-- because it's a secret! heheheheheheh I felt like it was a good bargain. The obstruction didn't bother us one bit. I liked the location-- couple of floors down to activities, few floors up to Deck 9. I would totally book this cabin again, and I was very happy to see that it was available for our cruise!

Oh my gosh I'm so excited to try Tiana's!!

Was this your first time trying late dining (I can't remember but seem to think you've always done early?) DD seemed to handle if fine (first night anyway :flower1:)
It was our first time on late. This was really the first cruise where we felt confident messing more with her schedule. I will continue to analyze.

We're visiting BC for 6 days prior to our cruise and, looking at the forecast, I'm amazed how much sunnier and warmer the forecast is for Vancouver/Whistler/Victoria than for the Alaska panhandle.

People aren't kidding when they say you need to layer up.

I just finished reading all of your trip report. Alaska is a dream of mine. I hope to be able to go in a few years once my youngest is out of college. Until then I live through trip reports like yours.

I just finished reading all of your trip report. Alaska is a dream of mine. I hope to be able to go in a few years once my youngest is out of college. Until then I live through trip reports like yours.
Stick with me! There's more coming. :D

Yeah, college definitely uses up a lot of the cash flow.

We're visiting BC for 6 days prior to our cruise and, looking at the forecast, I'm amazed how much sunnier and warmer the forecast is for Vancouver/Whistler/Victoria than for the Alaska panhandle.

People aren't kidding when they say you need to layer up.
I felt like I had to pack multiple outfits for each day... but I needed to be able to wear them all at the same time. :rotfl:

July 4 Part 1 - Palo Brunch

IMG_2237.PNG
I took screenshots of the days on the Navigator app to give you an idea of the weather. Today was cool but nice. No rain.

The night before I had put out the room service card to deliver at 8:00. I woke up at 7:30 so I was glad I'd timed it accurately. DD had requested seeing Doc, so I knew we'd want to be up earlier.

The delivery arrived right at 8:00. I had coffee and fruit while DD had cereal and apple juice. I intentionally ordered just a little bit for myself because my parents and I had Palo brunch reservations. I had originally made the reservations for 10:30, but there was something happening and we wanted to move our reservation. I called around 9:15, and Palo called by about 20 minutes later saying no problem.

In the time between waking up and brunch, I took DD to see Chip & Dale in their 4th of July outfits and Doc McStuffins.

IMG_2246.JPG

The atrium was nicely decorated for the 4th. DD was also wearing her fancy patriotic leggings.

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2239.JPG

After photos, I took DD to the clubs so we could go to brunch. We checked our current position.

IMG_2247.JPG

The Club was in open house, so I dropped her at the Lab. I told the staff that I was heading to Palo and they made a note. While DD never asked them to call me, later in the trip I did hear them telling a kid that her parents were at Palo so they needed to wait another 30 minutes to call them. The kid wasn't crying or anything, so I can't say what the response would have been if the child was distressed.

Then, it was off to Palo!

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

While Meridian is a beautiful space, I like the physical set up of Palo on the Wonder better. My photo doesn't do the Palo wall justice, but the sheen is amazing. This hallway is just so beautiful.

Our server was Alex from France. He was the best Palo server we've ever had! So attentive and he knew so much about all the food. At one point he heard me telling my parents how good the scallops were, and they were asking me where to find them. Well, Alex just grabbed a couple dishes and brought them! I didn't even know he heard us talking! When we were chatting he also knew about the other ships and general cruise industry stuff. It was a really pleasant experience.

On to the food. The best things I ate were the scallops and the snapper from the menu. My dad was in love with the leasagna. He said it was the best he'd ever eaten. I'm also happy to report that they had the yummy baked yogurt that was so amazing on the Fantasy.

Another new thing was fresh sliced ham and cheese.

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

These were not options on the Fantasy, and Alex wasn't sure if this was unique to the Wonder or not. He did say they were new offerings. The cheese with those prosciutto wrapped breadsticks and fresh honeycomb was a special treat.

We also celebrated my dad's birthday.

IMG_2250.JPG

All in all, this was our best Palo experience. I liked the Wonder experience more than the Fantasy.

Stuffed to the gills, we paid our bill and left. While I've never had any desire to go to dinner at Palo, I would consider it if I could get service like we had from Alex in this amazing setting.

In case you're keeping track, I prefer the atrium on the new ships, but Palo on the classics. I continued to make these types of comparisons throughout the cruise.

Next up: Fourth of July activities

Vancouver is a LOT further south. :earsboy:

Enjoying your report. I hope I get to dine in Tiana's on my 2 nighter coming up. I agree with you about Palo. It is beautiful and everything is shiny.

July 4 Part 2 - Fourth of July Celebrations

After picking up DD from the clubs, we went to see Mickey and Minnie in their patriotic finery. Then my dad took her to lunch while mom and I delivered FE gifts.

I also came across this cool mural in the midship elevator shaft. It goes up 3-4 decks and you can also see it in the glass evaluators.

IMG_2255.JPG

After she had eaten, DD wanted to see Captain America.

IMG_2256.JPG

Then we headed to Crown and Fin for some chess. DD is really into chess these days and my dad adores playing with her. We have a chess museum here with outdoor table and a life size set. The two of them go every time my parents come visit.

IMG_2261.JPG

She's legitimately good. She's beat my dad for real and my sister in law. I am still undefeated though.

Next up was Goofy.

IMG_2263.JPG

We stepped out on Deck 4 to see some scenery. I also hoped the jaunt outside would convince her it was too cold to swim.

IMG_2268.JPG

Nope, she was determined to swim. It was in the 50's.

IMG_2278.JPG

You can see she wasn't the only one. The lifeguards were bundled up though and the parents were all wrapped in blankets.

After about 45 minutes, I got her out so we could go to the 4th of July deck show.

IMG_2279.JPG

Everyone got flags.

IMG_2283.JPG

DD on the big screen.

IMG_2287.JPG

There they are!

IMG_2292.JPG

We stopped for a special ice cream cone on our way back to the cabin for DD's nap.

Next Up: I adopt a new naptime tradition

Oh my goodness, look at the characters in their July 4th outfits!!! So stinkin' adorable! And catching your DD on the big screen, that is a great photo!

Sounds like you've got a real Bobby Fisher on your hands with that chess player of yours!

baked yogurt

I am trying to figure out what the baked yogurt looked like. Can you describe it? We are traveling again in April and I would like to try it. We ate at Palo in May (Wonder) and the cheese was there, I do not remember the ham. It is possible it was available and I was just unaware.

Kate

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out what the baked yogurt looked like. Can you describe it? We are traveling again in April and I would like to try it. We ate at Palo in May (Wonder) and the cheese was there, I do not remember the ham. It is possible it was available and I was just unaware.

Kate

IMG_1423.JPG

It's the one on the lower right. Our server on the Fantasy recommended it. I would have never thought to try it, but it was so fabulous!

I am all caught up! :cool1:

Awesome updates! I have wanted to go on the Wonder through Alaska ever since they were announced but seeing your pics just make me want to go so much more :love::worship:

Your daughter is just so stinkin' cute :cutie:

Love the ice cream! They didn't have those on the Fantasy! :sad2:

Love the ice cream! They didn't have those on the Fantasy!

The red and blue was just on the 4th. Otherwise it was back to standard flavors.

You gotta go to Alaska! It was such an amazing trip and I haven't even gotten to the really spectacular parts yet!

July 4 Part 3 - A New Tradition

DD was tired, so I put her down for a nap. My mom came over and told me I should go enjoy hanging out on the ship and she would read in my room. I have a suspicion that the volume of my dad's snoring might have had something to do with it. :laughing:

I tried the adult area but Cadillac had a tasting class and Crown & Fin had trivia going on. Then I checked the Promenade Lounge and it was packed for some activity. I ended up on deck 4 in one of the arm chairs by a window.

IMG_2297.JPG

The view was nice and I was able to get pretty caught up. It was also Formal Night/Captain's Reception. After a while , I was certainly the most casually dressed person there. I enjoyed listening to the live music while I worked. Plus, the drink servers were filling their trays in D Lounge. That meant they passed right by me on their way to the atrium. I was happy to relieve them of some mudslides on their way to the atrium.

Updating my travel journal while DD napped was amazing. It felt like a very vacationy thing to do. Replicating it on subsequent days might be a good idea. :ssst:

Before too much longer, I went back to the room so I could wake up DD for the Golden Mickeys. We really enjoyed the show. I thought it was very similar to the version we saw on the Dream. Tarzan was again simply incredible.

We took some photos before dinner including one with the captain. My parents had forgotten about the reception. Free drinks! We also had a really great chat with Trent the cruise director and Carley the assistant cruise director. DD was crabbing at Trent for cheating at Battleship on the morning show. :rotfl:

Dinner tonight was in Triton's. We had the regular menu in addition to the special holiday menu.

IMG_2298.JPG

My dad had the fried chicken and the cobbler. He said both were very good.

I ordered escargot because she had told Trent she'd try one. She liked it! I also had the pierogi (delicious!), salmon royale (very good), and the grand mariner soufflé (my favorite.) Rolly also brought the table a creme brulee.

Dine and Play worked well tonight and DD left for the clubs before dessert. After we finished eating, dad went to bed and mom & I checked out the shops again. Then she went to bed and I got DD from the clubs.

On our last cruise, she loved seeing the characters later in the day so I had promised a visit with Mickey tonight.

IMG_2303.JPG

He was looking quite dapper. DD had seen another group of cruisers take photos of the characters alone, so she insisted that I do the same a few times. The cast members were all fine with it, but I felt a little silly.

Then it was off to bed. DD carefully transferred the elephant to her bed for the night.

IMG_2304.JPG

DD also got Frozen sheets again! Shinde really was an exceptional room host.

Next Up - Will we see a glacier?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter