Dress Like an Onion! If You're a Kid, Dress Like a Cocktail Onion! Alaska 7/3-7/10 COMPLETE!

I think she might have had ulterior motives. She was VERY over being pregnant by that point and a long walk seemed like a good idea to her. :rolleyes1

Did it work? The long walk? :rotfl2:

I miss Seattle. Washington is my home state. I left to go to grad school with the intention of returning in six years. That was in 1990....

Kate

July 2 Part 1- Eating to Prepare for Pike Market

I woke up around 6:30 today. The house was still quiet but I went ahead and finished laundry and took a shower. DD woke up around 7:30. Everyone else was up soon after.

We all got dressed and loaded all of our luggage. The plan was to have breakfast #1 at their favorite donut shop and then breakfast #2 at a crumpet shop at the market. After exploring the market, we were going to head to the car rental place at the airport to meet my parents.

First stop, donuts. The choices were remarkable.

IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

There were also more daring options.

IMG_2060.JPG

And the elevated cronuts/doughsants. My friend and I split a caramel sea salt one since we knew there was a second breakfast in the works.

IMG_2059.JPG

Everything was amazing.

IMG_2066.JPG

DD managed to drink all her chocolate milk but only ate about a third of her donut. Thank goodness!

Then it was off to the market.

We found parking quickly and headed to the crumpet place. There was a bit of a line but nothing too bad.

IMG_2072.JPG

I had a crumpet with egg and salmon. My friend had one with pesto. Hers was better but mine was delicious. I really wanted protein after that sugar bomb so I was glad to have some egg.

IMG_2074.JPG

The crumpets looked and smelled lovely as they were baking.

IMG_2073.JPG

Now that we were well nourished, we walked towards the market.

IMG_2071.JPG

July 2 Part 2 - Pike Market

We were finally going to the market! As luck would have it, we arrived at a fish counter right as one tossing was ending and a couple minutes before another began. So, we were front and center. DD got to give the fish a high 5 before it got tossed. She was incredibly amused.

IMG_2080.JPG

This guy would dance around every so often too. The kids jumped out of their skin the first time. :rotfl2:

Then we walked through the market for a bit and took in the beautiful sights.

IMG_2084.JPG

Biggest lobster tails I'd ever seen. The photos don't do them justice.

IMG_2087.JPG

Amazing fruit I've never seen before.

IMG_2088.JPG

I bought my friend some of these beautiful flowers.

IMG_2099.JPG

We watched them make cheese for a bit.

IMG_2102.JPG

We also walked out and looked over the bay. That's the aquarium building in front of the Ferris wheel. Obviously we will need to go back for another visit.

IMG_2106.JPG

A Norwegian ship was loading passengers this day. DD said that ship appeared "boring." :eek:

This area also had a section where local artists had their wares. DD and I each got a necklace that this lady had made from pebbles she collected on the beach. She then drew beautiful pen sketches on them. We each got one that had an octopus on one side and mine had a whale on the other while DD's had a flower. So pretty and a much better memento than a cheap trinket.

Then we went to see these amazing mosaic walls. Absolutely stunning.

IMG_2110.JPG

I just notices how much taller DD is than the other girls. She's almost 2 years younger than the girl on the left and only about a year old than the one in the middle. Amazon child!

IMG_2112.JPG

Our next stop was the gum wall and maybe the super Starbucks market. But first, potty break.

IMG_2076.JPG

Yes, I needed a picture of that sign. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Now, will I be able to get us out of Seattle in the next post?

July 2 Part 3 - Gum wall, Hangry child, Getting to Vancouver

Gum wall! If you don't know what this is, here is the Wikipedia page. It started in 1993 and they even cleaned it off completely in 2015. Here is how it looks today.

IMG_2114.JPG

Yes that's all gum. Yes it's gross. Yes, DD was in heaven and loved this as much as anything. For some reason she'd been obsessed with chewing gum before the trip but we never let her. Well, today was the day. I gave her gum to chew and put on the wall!

IMG_2115.JPG

Eeewww! But fun. Also, who takes the time to put their whole name there? :crazy2:

Now, we started walking towards this super Starbucks market but DD made it very clear that she was going to expire if we didn't feed her soon. Whoever invented the word hangry is a genius because that describes her perfectly. She becomes irrational and completely impossible to deal with. Since we had had such an amazing morning and I didn't necessarily feel the need to engage in anything corporate after the fun we had at the market, we scrapped Starbucks and headed for lunch.

We went to the Corner Bakery. It's a chain but one we don't have in St. Louis. I'd say it's similar to Panera but I found the food to be better and the amount of food for what you paid was also better. DD ate all her lunch and the world resumed normal rotation on its axis. :butterfly

Throughout the morning, my parents had been checking in with me. Their flights were on time but they were worried about their luggage. When they'd arrived at the Albuquerque airport, there was a problem with TSA and this is how they'd had to leave their bags.

IMG_2918.jpg

:eek: :faint: :eek: :faint:

They had no idea if their luggage would make it and if we'd have to find a place for them to shop in Seattle or Vancouver. Luckily the luggage did make it though it took longer than anticipated for them to get to the car rental building at Sea Tac. My dad had reserved a full sized car thinking he'd get something big like a towncar. Instead he got a Hyundai something and there was no way our luggage would all fit in there along with all of us. We upgraded to an SUV for just a tiny bit more. Phew!

The drive to Vancouver was very easy but we did have to call the restaurant to move our dinner reservations back half an hour. Looking at the app and the road signs, we decided to just go ahead and cross at Peace Arch.

IMG_2126.JPG

Just like at the grocery store though, we got in the shortest line and it moved the slowest.

This is also where my phone switched to Canadian coverage. I have AT&T and they offer a plan that lets you use your plan minutes and data in a wide range of countries for $10 a day. It measures a day in a 24 hour period, so I let it activate and just knew I'd need to switch to airplane mode by 4:45 the next day. An unlimited international plan for the month would be $40, so if I were gone for longer than a day or two, I'd do that instead.

IMG_2128.JPG

The customs agent looked at my notaraized letter that said I could take my daughter out of the country and he checked all our passports. Then, we were through!

IMG_2129.JPG

A bit more driving including a very steep bridge.

IMG_2131.JPG

Then, Vancouver was in sight.

IMG_2133.JPG

Google maps got us right to the Pan Pacific and we were greeted at the curb by a very helpful bell captain. He unloaded our bags and everyone else went to check in while I returned the rental car. We had used Enterprise and they have a desk right in the Pan Pacific. The return area is in the garage right below the hotel. Easy.

Once I got the car put away, I went to the front desk where they had my name and gave me my key to the room. Up to the 16th floor.

It's a good hotel that looks out for its guests.

IMG_2137.JPG

The room was very nice with 2 queen sized beds. Most people either pay for a harbor view or luck into one. We got a city view. It wa still nice. I loved seeing the green roofs. America, take note!

IMG_2139.JPG

Our bags arrived shortly so after a quick stretch and freshening, we started walking to dinner.

Up Next: Dinner, Canada 150, and do I sleep the night before a cruise? :rotfl2:

After reading all that I'm now thinking that maybe a few days in Seattle before going to Vancouver for our cruise (we're doing Alaska in 2018) wouldn't be a bad idea...

Awesome, you made it into Canada!

A Norwegian ship was loading passengers this day. DD said that ship appeared "boring." :eek:

I agree with your daughter, the ship looks boring.

I just notices how much taller DD is than the other girls. She's almost 2 years younger than the girl on the left and only about a year old than the one in the middle. Amazon child!

Sarah, our daughter bounced all over the growth chart, sometimes in the 25 percentile, sometimes in the 95 percentile. When she was nine she towered over all her friends, younger and older; she was in the 95 percentile of the growth chart. She stopped growing at age ten and now at age nineteen, she is 5'3", when she stands up straight...

July 2 Part 4a - Dinner and Canada Place

After getting settled in the hotel, we got on our way for dinner. The bellhop who brought our luggage said we had chosen well when we said we were going to the Steamworks Brew Pub. I had heard about it on a social media group dedicated to DCL Alaska cruises. They also took reservations. This was comforting to me since it was the Canada 150 weekend and we weren't sure about the crowds. To get there, we only had to walk about 7 minutes. So easy.

We were seated at a table with a beautiful water view.

IMG_2140.JPG
My pretty mom.

We ordered a pretzel as an appetizer. The sauce was very yummy. More of a horseradish than traditional mustard.

..something is wrong with my internet...

Last edited:
We're planning to fly to and visit Seattle prior to our Alaska cruise next year. Was it expensive (was there an up-charge) to rent a car in Seattle and drop it off in Canada?

We're planning to fly to and visit Seattle prior to our Alaska cruise next year. Was it expensive (was there an up-charge) to rent a car in Seattle and drop it off in Canada?
It was about $300 each way. But, since there were 4 of us, it wasnt that much different than any other options.

Love Pike Place!!! Always a must-visit whenever we go down to Seattle.

Yay you made it to Vancouver :flower1:

July 2 Part 4b(trying again)- Dinner and Canada Place

So, yummy pretzel as an appetizer from a Steamworks Brew Pub.

IMG_2142.JPG

Unfortunately they were out of their wheat beer, so I tried a signature cocktail.

IMG_2144.JPG
A London Mule. My group of friends has started using the name Copper Cup Club so this had to be my choice.

For dinner, I went with the poutine. When in Rome and all that.

IMG_2145.JPG
It was good but overwhelming. I ate only a portion of the dish.

After dinner it was still bright out so we walked around Canada Place.

IMG_2146.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

I thought the gas station in the middle of the bay was interesting.

IMG_2148.JPG

The. I took some photos of the totem pole in the lobby of the Pan.

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

DD was fascinated.

After the long day though, we headed for bed by about 10:00. DD had a bit of a hard time getting settled, but she eventually calmed down and went to sleep. I tried to shut down around 11:00 but I was jockeying for space in the bed. DD had stayed on her side in Seattle but now she was insisting on sleeping on the diagonal! How can such a tiny person take up so much room?

Up next: What could we possibly do in the early morning hours at Canada Place?

I love Steam works!

There used to be 3 or 4 gas station barges when I was a kid - one of them actually caught fire in the early 80's :scared1:

July 3 - The Wonder Arrives

IMG_2154.PNG

The time change plus being the mother of a small child plus the fact that I never sleep well the night before a cruise all meant that I easily woke up in time to watch the Wonder arrive.

IMG_2155.jpg

You can see she's approaching the bridge with the Norwegian Sun and Crystal Serenity right behind her. My dad was also up so we brushed our teeth and threw on gym clothes before heading out.

We discovered that the Pan had complimentary coffee in the lobby so that was nice to take along with us.

We started out on the back patio of the hotel. Gorgeous.

IMG_3364.JPG

Then we decided to go on to the main level of the port to actually watch the ships dock.

IMG_3367.JPG

There is our first sighting as she passed under the Lions Gate Bridge.

IMG_3370.JPG

Coming into view.

IMG_3386.JPG

Her bow.

IMG_3390.JPG

There's the Sun right behind.

IMG_3393.JPG

Lovely.

IMG_3394.JPG

I love getting pictures of the characters on the stern.

IMG_3402.JPG

All settled. You can see the people getting ready to disembark.

My dad hadn't even considered watching the ship pull in as a thing to do but he had a lot of fun. It really was a beautiful sight. We met some fellow cruisers from all 3 ships who were out enjoying the show as well.

After the ship was all settled, we went to the food court in the connected Waterfront Mall to get breakfast for everyone. The hotel buffet was crazy expensive and we certainly didn't need a ton of food since we would be on board for lunch.

We ended up stopping at Pita Express and they were making great omelettes and breakfast sandwiches to order for a reasonable price. We got meals and drinks for all 4 of us for about $45 Canadian. With the exchange rate, we were very pleased.

We ate in the room, got ready for the day, and finished packing the small amount of stuff we'd removed from our suitcases.

By now it was about 9:00 and the port started accepting luggage at 10:30. Luckily I had a plan. :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter