Dragon float caught on fire !!!!

I think removing the fire effect from the other floats until the cause of the problem with Maleficent can be determined is a good idea. Nobody really wants the other floats to catch fire and risk hurting someone. Once the cause is determined, then the other floats can be checked, changed if necessary, and returned to service. It hasn't been very long since the fire, and safety should be the priority, even above show. It would not surprise me if some of the problem was lubricant for the articulation of the head and neck catching fire and burning, even after the fuel for the fire breathing could be cut off. The general public may never know for sure what happened, but I hope Maleficent can be returned to full and safe operation.

Outstanding post! +1

Just as an update, we saw the parade today. They had the same Aurora and Prince Phillip gazebo float but the float with Pinocchio, daisy and Donald was missing too. They had daisy, donald, Pluto and goofy? walking behind Minnie and Mickey. I don't think that float had a fire effect. In the video that was posted from yesterday's parade, you can see the Pinocchio float at the very end, so I wonder why wasn't part of the parade today.

I would guess they’d run it without the dragon float. Disney often has to pull another float from the line up when there is rain. It is the one with the swings in the air (Fantasia/Pinocchio one). On the keys to the kingdom tour the tour guide explained if it rains (but not hard enough to cancel the parade) they have to pull that float due to safety concerns for the performers on the swings. Sure enough in a future trip when there was light rain I saw the parade run minus that float.

The whale usually gets left behind when it rains at parade stepoff, 2 reasons, it has a difficult time making it up the hill on the slick pavement by Liberty Tree tavern and the bubbles combined with the wet pavement make for a safety issue for both walking cast and for guests at the end of the parade (rain + bubble soap = slick pavement). Most of the time when their is an "imminent threat of rain" they will pre-position tugs in 2 route locations just in case of needing them to tug floats.

Used to have to tug the Flag float of ELP up the hill by Pecos then across the train tracks when the pavement was wet.

Just as an update, we saw the parade today. They had the same Aurora and Prince Phillip gazebo float but the float with Pinocchio, daisy and Donald was missing too. They had daisy, donald, Pluto and goofy? walking behind Minnie and Mickey. I don't think that float had a fire effect. In the video that was posted from yesterday's parade, you can see the Pinocchio float at the very end, so I wonder why wasn't part of the parade today.
See above posts about the Pinocchio float

Anyone know what the fuel source is for the fire? Is it a gas or liquid? Doesn't Disney use a lot of propane / natural gas?

Either way a learning experience, replace the gas lines every two years or something like that. 100 feet of gas pipe $33 at Home Depot.

Surprised there isn't any on board fire suppression on it, or maybe it malfunctioned. They are common enough in auto racing, that it might be a perfect fit for this situation. There are small and light, and not overly expensive.

Surprised there isn't any on board fire suppression on it, or maybe it malfunctioned. They are common enough in auto racing, that it might be a perfect fit for this situation. There are small and light, and not overly expensive.
And a lot cheaper than the PR hit Disney would take if someone got injured.

Disney employees are always so good about "the show must go on" and pretending everything is alright but obviously in this instance they had to get out of there ASAP. That must have been so scary for the driver and everyone around. Thankfully everyone made it out safely.

Someone in one of my Facebook groups said she read somewhere that the dragon would not be back in the parade until 2019!! Has anyone read this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter