• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downgrading WL to Value???

Last year we considered making the same jump from a delux to a value. In previous years we had stayed the Grand Floridian and then the WL. So to save money we decided to book a value (ASMo). After reading many discussions and considering some of the big differences like queen beds vs full size beds and refrig vs no refrig and room sizes. We looked into going Moderate. After checking on the price difference it ended up being about $200 more for the entire week for us to stay at a Moderate over a value. Definately worth it to us! We ended up switching to CSR and loved it! CSR is one of the only, if not the only, mod to offer queen beds:) We decided the mods were a good fit for us. Next trip we're gonna try CBR. So my suggestion is to check all your options before you settle on something you're not excited about.

A few times, I have split our stays. Once, we went from AKL to POFQ, and I must say, we enjoyed POFQ much better. Although AKL was terrific, it was just too far away from the parks.

Another trip, we stayed at POP, then moved to CR. POP was great fun, but it was nice to enjoy the rest of our stay in luxury (a special treat for my Monorail crazy son!).

At the value, the bathroom sink wasn't much of an issue, and I shared it with 3 sons! Just keep things organized and you won't have a problem. The big difference between value and deluxe really is the bedding, towels, toiletries and, of course, the area. HOWEVER, your vacation is what you make of it, and we enjoyed our stays for the varied experiences.

If you want to save the $1200, and you spend most of your days at the parks, then by all means, go to the values. :thumbsup2

.....For the difference in price you're mentioning, $1200, I couldn't justify the WL. However, if it was more like $500 difference, I personally would stay in the Deluxe over a mod/value. The couple times we've stayed at mods or values, I always end up thinking, why didn't I just spend a little extra and stay deluxe? Is there a chance you could downgrade your room level at WL and still stay there?

We did look into the Mod's as well, and they are about a $400 price difference between WL...so since it is not as big of a difference we find it hard to downgrade to a Mod.

....The more I think about it the more I think, wow!!! You'll be saving like half! That's huge savings....

I know - it is huge!! If we get a preferred room at a value it is still $1100 cheaper.... don't understand why I am hesitant! ;)

....We need a queen bed after walking in the parks all day AND we like our DS's (15 & 9) to have separate beds (keeps the peace) so going deluxe is our best option (other than family suites).

We plan on requesting a king bed and hoping for the best - so the bed size is pretty much the same at any resort... but thanks for input!

........... So my suggestion is to check all your options before you settle on something you're not excited about.

We have looked into pretty much all our options (when we booked our bounceback and since we have been home), and prices for each level haven't really changed. :confused3

Thank you all for your suggestions! We are getting excited about checking out a new resort and new level - for all we know it could be the perfect fit for our disney touring style and wallets! Worst case scenario - the resort doesn't do it for us, but we'll still be at Disney :banana:

The room sized isn't much of a difference between a value and WL, around 80sf. The pool at a value is just as relaxing as any other pool. For a difference of $1200 I would def switch to a value. (We loved Pop!)

Two years ago I booked WL. We were so excited (and have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts, ASMovies, Pop, CBR, Yacht Club, Contemporary, AKL), but I kept having a nagging feeling that I was just spending too much money this trip. I knew I wouldn't be happy with myself at the end of the vacation. For us, our trips are more than where we lay our heads at night. So I switched to POP and we had one of the best trips ever! We loved the resort. It was so much fun. We went to eat at WCC so we got our fill of WL. I don't regret the decision. It worked for us at the time.

I have downgraded our upcoming trip twice now! We used to have a DVC contract and we had to sell that very unexpectedly due to setbacks at dh's job plus a lot of other very unexpected expenses. Anyway, our first plan was 3 nights at AKL Savanahh then 7 nights in an SSR one bedroom. Then we knew our DVC was going to be long gone by our March trip so I switched things to CSR. Then my fil got sick and dh and I had to make an unexpected trip out to see him and we knew we needed to downgrade again. So we did. And we are still very excited!

We are a family of four, two adults, two teens (who are both about adult sized now) and we have stayed in all levels of WDW resorts. All the values, all the mods, the Poly, and three DVC's (one and two bedrooms). So we have done WDW on all sorts of budgets. We did love all the space of a DVC and yet, so many times, I'd think "we never really spend much time in our unit". Now we do always spend time at our resort pool. Every day and usually at least one whole day just at the pool. We have done that at values and still had fun. Yes, the values are more about the icons, yet they still have lovely grounds. I've sat under a palm tree and read a book at Old Key West's pool and I've done the same thing at All Star Music. I never understand why people say the value pools are these madhouse areas where you can't find a tree, a chair or any peace and quiet. That has never been my experience in all my value stays (8 total thus far). The food courts do get very crowded but frankly so do the mod food courts. I do miss the lush grounds of the moderates and SSR and OKW yet, again, I do find plenty of pretty trees, grass, and flowers to enjoy while I am at a value.

As for room size, we make out fine. And we even take an airbed with us for my son and still do all right. The bathroom counter is not large at any of the values (Pop does have a small shelf below the mirror that helps) but we make out. I have taken the over the door shoe hanger and that is also nice to have and can really help with storage of all your stuff. I can't say I'd want anyone else in that room with us, but if four of us can fit for up to ten nights and still be speaking at the end, I can't imagine you and your husband couldn't do just fine.

My two favorites are Pop Century and All Star Music. With Pop in the midst of a refurb (that should be done in the next 4 or 5 months) I know that will be my fave. I love Pop for its food courts, its three pools and it has a lake. You can even have some decent views of Illuminations at Pop and if memory serves, you can also see Wishes way off in the distance from a few areas.

To me, $1200 is a huge amount to save! And I have leanred the hard way, there is very little in life that is worth going into debt over (in the way of flex spending, emergencies are different of course). I say go with a value and see for yourself.

With everything we have been through in the past year, I am just thankful we get to go to WDW at all, and frankly, nothing says Disney to me quite like a value. This is all just my opinion based on my experiences for what its all worth!

One thing I did read, was about splurging while you can before you have kids. I do agree with that, yet on the other hand if you have kids soon, you'll need to be in the best shape financially of your life when they arrive on the scene! YOu could always do a split stay with doing Pop for the bulk of your trip then switching over to WL for a couple of days at the end.

Good luck with your choice.:)

..... For us, our trips are more than where we lay our heads at night. So I switched to POP and we had one of the best trips ever! We loved the resort. It was so much fun......

....My two favorites are Pop Century and All Star Music. With Pop in the midst of a refurb (that should be done in the next 4 or 5 months) I know that will be my fave. I love Pop for its food courts, its three pools and it has a lake. You can even have some decent views of Illuminations at Pop and if memory serves, you can also see Wishes way off in the distance from a few areas.

.....To me, $1200 is a huge amount to save! And I have leanred the hard way, there is very little in life that is worth going into debt over (in the way of flex spending, emergencies are different of course). I say go with a value and see for yourself.

....One thing I did read, was about splurging while you can before you have kids. I do agree with that, yet on the other hand if you have kids soon, you'll need to be in the best shape financially of your life when they arrive on the scene!.....

Thank you both for your insight! The more I think on it the more I know we are making the right decision. I asked DH last night how he was feeling about it, and he feels we are making a mistake - but I have a feeling he will be pleasantly surprised.

Off I go to switch my ressies!! Thanks again all :thumbsup2

If it helps in your decision, POP is in the midst of a light refurbishment of the rooms - new carpet, new bedspreads, fresh paint, chairs reupholstered, new shower curtains, and a privacy curtain has been added between the sink and room area. So at least, if you are going after it is complete, you'd be sure to have a refurbished room which would be nice.

We had stayed at mostly deluxe resorts (GF, CR, Poly, BC, BWV) for 25 yrs - we had tried some of the mods, then POP opened and a friend wanted to try it for a Girls Weekend - I was very hesitant and asked to change resorts at check-in. The CM convinced us to give it a try - we were not sorry. The rooms while small, are not tiny, it was new so everything was fresh and we got ourselves in the spirit of the resort and enjoyed it very much. Yes, it was an adjustment and I did miss my favorite resorts, but we had a lake view and it was very peaceful once in our room. Definitely go with the right attitude and allow yourselves a couple of days to adjust, but you can still have a wonderful trip - and enjoy the savings. :)

Good luck with your decision and hope you have a fabulous trip! :goodvibes

..... So at least, if you are going after it is complete, you'd be sure to have a refurbished room which would be nice.

We had stayed at mostly deluxe resorts (GF, CR, Poly, BC, BWV) for 25 yrs - we had tried some of the mods, then POP opened and a friend wanted to try it for a Girls Weekend - I was very hesitant and asked to change resorts at check-in. The CM convinced us to give it a try - we were not sorry. The rooms while small, are not tiny, it was new so everything was fresh and we got ourselves in the spirit of the resort and enjoyed it very much.......

We are going in late Sept, so I believe the refurbs should be complete. We did officially change our ressies - and are staying at the POP. I am actually getting excited to check out another resort - and as I told DH, if we really enjoy it we might be able to afford two disney trips a year!

You've stayed at all of my dream resorts, lol!! So, going from those you listed to POP and enjoying it does say something! Thank you for input! :thumbsup2

You will have fun at POP we did. Dh is kind of a resort snob sometimes and likes the deluxes. But my 4 year old could stay at pop. I know the feeling of saving the money. The price diffrence in are trip is 1500.00.

I'm still hoping for a room only discount and then we will add the QSDP with a one day ticket. We would rather do the QSDP than the regular plan but that is because my kids are just young and having to be somewhere at a certain time for lunch or dinner isn't in there plans.

You will have a great time.

Don't let everyone know about Pop! It's the best hotel we've stayed at on site- for value, people and fun!:thumbsup2

Hi All -

DH and I are going over our upcoming plans, and we are contemplating changing our WL ressies to a value resort. We would be saving about $1200 if we change. I know that is a good chunk of money - and we are trying to save everywhere we can right now (who isn't I guess, lol).

We would be renting a car no matter where we stay, so transportation isn't that much of an issue. Although, we did love being able to take the boat to MK from WL. We have stayed at CBR in the past and our only major complaint was the bus system.

We have two questions I hope you all can help us with :

1) Has anyone done this before - and if so, any opinions?
2) Any reason not to change our ressies?

Thanks in advance for your input! :thumbsup2

I feel your pain, we have been going to Disneyworld (my son & myself since he was in first grade, now in 8th grade). We started off staying at the All Star Movies, then All Star Music, & then the POP Century for many visits, we LOVE the POP Century, but in December 2008, we decided to try the Wilderness Lodge for our first time & now we are addicted. Yes, we could also save about $1200 if we chose the POP Century, but there are soooo many things that just ADD to our once a year family vacation by staying at the Wilderness Lodge, I will list them....

1. We book the Woods view & get to enjoy the Magic Kingdsom fireworks nightly, it is awesome !!! We had the
BEST view of the fireworks every night from our balcony in 2009 & it was amazing !!! We could even hear the music since the wind was blowing our way. Awesome !!

2. We love the bus stop waiting area. It is covered, less people waiting since the Wilderness Lodge only has 728 rooms & the Pop Century has 2880 rooms.

3. We enjoy the pool area & renting the Sea Raycer boats for riding around the lake in front of Magic Kingdom, that is truly amazing !!

Vacation2008118-1.jpg

4. We love the BEDS at Wilderness Lodge & the towels, they are unbelieveable !! We love the balcony area, refrigerator, double sinks, & the huge flat screen TV.

5. We love having easy access to the Whispering Canyon Cafe & also the Roaring Forks quick stop area. They have the best "Magic Bars" at the Roaring Forks. Magic Cookie Bar $3.59

6. The boat ride to/from the Magic Kingdom to the Wilderness Lodge hotel. After a long day at Magic Kingdom, the boat ride back to the hotel is priceless !!!
Also, you get taken directly to the front area for drop off in front of the Magic Kingdom in the morning, just a few feet from the security check point area, LOVE that !!!

Vacation2008112.jpg

7. The hotel is beautiful during December & really makes our vacation when we walk thru those doors on the first of check in.

Don't get me wrong, I love PoP Century !!!! We have had MANY wonderful vacations at Pop Century, but since we only take a family vacation once a year, I set aside money during the year to ensure we can re-visit our new home, Wilderness Lodge !!!

But if money is real tight, you will not be disappoined with Pop Century either, it is a really fun, cool, & awesome hotel !!!!
DCP_1483.jpg

DCP_1455.jpg

DCP_1460.jpg

DCP_1459.jpg

We requested the refrigerator, that does not come with a value resort, but it was great for us & eating breakfast in our rooms in the morning.

Hope this helps !!!! :santa::santa::santa:

....... We started off staying at the All Star Movies, then All Star Music, & then the POP Century for many visits, we LOVE the POP Century, but in December 2008, we decided to try the Wilderness Lodge for our first time & now we are addicted. Yes, we could also save about $1200 if we chose the POP Century, but there are soooo many things that just ADD to our once a year family vacation by staying at the Wilderness Lodge....

Hope this helps !!!! :santa::santa::santa:

Well seeing those great pics of WL make me kinda bummed about not being at the WL this year.... but thanks for your input and I am sure the POP will be fun too ;)

why not rent points from a DVC person? you may be able to stay deluxe and still be able to save money

go on the DVC board here and snoop around and see

There is no way i could give up my deluxe for a value.
I like POR a lot and could for that, but usually we use our room we stay in for more than just sleeping

While I've never stayed at WL, I have stayed in a few of the value resorts a few times and I LOVE them! Pop Century is my favorite--the theming is top notch, the CM's are friendly, and the gift shop/food court is great. I would do it to save $1200!! Have fun on your trip! :thumbsup2

why not rent points from a DVC person? you may be able to stay deluxe and still be able to save money

go on the DVC board here and snoop around and see....

Not a bad idea...we will have to look into that! But we would lose our free dining.. and that would be sad. :(

.... the gift shop/food court is great. I would do it to save $1200!! Have fun on your trip! :thumbsup2

Thanks for words of encouragement! :)

Hi, we stayed at ASMU before we had DS's and then switched to Delux WL and AKL. Now that DS's are getting older and we go down in August instead of September, the parks stay open late and the last time we stayed at AKL, I felt like it was a waist of the extra $$$. We were only in the room to eat, shower and sleep. This past year we stayed at POP for 9 days, we booked the bounceback and are headed back again this year. When DS's were little, we would come back early and put them to bed. We needed the balcony to sit outside and talk while they were sleeping. Now that they are 8 & 5, we tire out before they do. WL is my favorite of all the hotels we have stayed at. I would go back in a heartbeat if I had the extra money to burn, but frankly, my boys have not stopped talking about POP since we left. I now use the extra money for WPFM option. I would take the money and have one of those special dinners for two at GF where they give you a table for 2 and a butler. That for me would be worth the $$. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter