Down with portable DVD players

I have not read through all the pages and refuse to give the OP the satisfaction of a reply, but I will say one thing - I have seen quite a few posts by this person and they have all been confrontational and to the point of bullying. I really wish the moderators would be more careful with the types of comments people are allowed to post on these boards.

We do have a portable DVD player and extra screen that we have only used in the car once. It was for a 5 hour car ride to TN for vacation. My DD's were 4 and 2 at the time and it really did help keep them entertained and not fighting with each other (their favorite pass time). Other than that the only time we use it is while on vacation to help get the girls to bed. They are next to impossible to get to sleep while on vacation so I put in a DVD and let them watch it in bed until they fall asleep. So I do think they can be useful but agree they do get over used. We don't have one built into our car and only use the portable one for LONG car rides.

I wanted to add that on our last couple of road trips, we've had my mil along...I sit in the back with the kids while she rides with my husband in the front (easier for me because she doesn't understand what the kids want when they ask, and it's not because they don't speak clearly :confused: ). On those trips, I get to do nothing (too carsick to read) while dh and his mom talk in front and the kids watch a movie in the back. Isn't anyone concerned about my quality family time? :laughing:

What I want to say is. I think Portable DVD players and in-car DVD players are such a horrible creation.
Good for you. That's called an opinion.
They only serve as a way to "shut the kids up", and the undermine the family time that you get to spend together. Mostly they're used in cars, which these days of double-income families, is one of the precious little time that parents get to spend with their kids.
Hmmm . . . I wonder why I (a working mom) don't have one of these in my car, yet several of my "housewife" friends DO have them? Kind of shoots that double-income theory in the foot, doesn't it?
When I was young, my mother was a house-wife, and she spend all day with us ...every day. She never needed to sit us in front of a movie for an hour and half....and we spent our time in the car TALKING. What wonderful memories (even the memories where i was getting in trouble). There's no replacement for that!
My mom was a "housewife" too, and our most common car-trip activity was FIGHTING WITH EACH OTHER! Yep, five kids in the backseat, you betcha we fought tooth and nail.

Oddly enough, one of my best childhood memories has to do with TV. No, we didn't watch it all the time, but every Sunday we went to my grandparents' house for lunch with all the cousins, aunts, and uncles. Sunday afternoons were wonderful. We'd come home from church, eat a good lunch, then change into our playclothes and run around outside with our cousins . . . then at 6:00 we'd come inside and pile on the floor in front of the console TV for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, followed by The Wonderful World of Disney. When it was over, that was the signal that it was time to head home.

Is TV over-used? Certainly in some familes it is; however, that doesn't mean that using a portable DVD player on a long trip is a bad idea. Used moderately, it's not a sign of lazy parenting.

Let me first say that this post if not DIRECTED at anyone. I'm not writing it based on any *particular* thread on the subject (though I have seen many), but rather was triggered by some things I saw this weekend.

What I want to say is. I think Portable DVD players and in-car DVD players are such a horrible creation.

They only serve as a way to "shut the kids up", and the undermine the family time that you get to spend together. Mostly they're used in cars, which these days of double-income families, is one of the precious little time that parents get to spend with their kids.

When I was young, my mother was a house-wife, and she spend all day with us ...every day. She never needed to sit us in front of a movie for an hour and half....and we spent our time in the car TALKING. What wonderful memories (even the memories where i was getting in trouble). There's no replacement for that!

I've read about people bringing these devices on their disney trip to use on the airplanes or in the hotel room, and I just dont understand it AT ALL. It's vacation, and its such a great opportunity to spend "down time" with kids....it should be taken advantage of.

We use it on the 18 hour car ride down. It stays in the car though after we check in. We also play games on the way down and listen to Disney songs and read. So as I see it, used in moderation, nothing wrong with it. I guess I'm "pro portable DVD". Lol:thumbsup2

In our situation our flight to WDW takes 8+ hours. While I enjoy conversations with my sons, I don't think it physically possible to interact and carry on a conversation with them for 8 straight hours!!! Not to mention the folks around us probably wouldn't appreciate me yelling across the aisle at my sons, over the noise of the aircraft, for 8 hours for the sake of family time and bonding!!!

Soooooo, when Mom is sleeping on the plane (because I have been up since 4:00 am) and we are on a budget airplane that has no movies or onboard music, darn tootin the DVD player, PSP, IPOD and Gameboys are coming out! I can't expect my kids to sit and stare at the back of the seat for 8 hours...I can't expect myself to do that!

I also like to sleep in a bit and when you are sharing one 200 sq ft hotel room, the kids had BETTER be using something with earphones while mommy gets her beauty sleep. :lmao:

Yep, I am down.

And guess what?

I just bought an Ipod Touch and oh my - I pulled it out at Outback the other night and let my son watch Nemo so we could have a civilized dinner out. It was heaven not to have to drag the whole unit out. I just keep that baby in my purse all the time and VIOLA it's at the ready. I will glady use it on the plane, in a car, on our boat, with a mouse, I do like them Sam I AM (oops, I digress)....but at the house of mouse it will come in handy too.

You see my son has Autism. You wouldn't know it by looking at him but without those little "misdirecting units" - everyone around would think the devil was seated in the area. He is a wonderful gift and loves to do lots of other things besides look at an electronic device.

Sometimes - it is best not to be so judgemental to think that everyone lives the same life as yourself or that yours is the way to salvation.

17 hours in a van with 4 kids with no DVD player ??? We could manage it, but it would be ugly :headache:

Do we use the DVD the whole time in the van? No way, but I don't think anyone can talk for 17 hours straight, and then spend a week together on vacation and then talk 17 hours back home again. We'd have no voices left :laughing:

My trip from Boston to WDW is going to be a long one. Actually a long 2.5 days (with a day off the road outside of DC), and I can't imagine doing it without entertainment. Movies for the kids, and CDs up front for the me and the wife.
Yes, we have owned a portable DVD player for a few years now, and we have logged a lot of time in the car (a lot of drives throughout New England). But if the trip was too short to finish a movie, it's too short to plug in the DVD. The gameboy can come out for shorter trips. It's a good way to keep the kids happy. I wish we had those options when I was young (although we never drove further than Northern California to Southern).

17 hours in a van with 4 kids with no DVD player ??? We could manage it, but it would be ugly :headache:

Do we use the DVD the whole time in the van? No way, but I don't think anyone can talk for 17 hours straight, and then spend a week together on vacation and then talk 17 hours back home again. We'd have no voices left :laughing:

Then you've never met my DDprincess: I swear that little girl could and would talk to you for that whole 17 hour trip. God love her, but man, she's either singing or talking and sometimes I about lose my mind. I so enjoyed my 2 hours of QUIET on Sunday afternoon when my lovely neighbors took her with their crew of 3 for a snowball. I hardly know what peace & quiet is anymore. I wish she'd watch a movie for a quick stint. She'd much rather be telling you or anyone who will listen her own story. Gotta love the chatter-box.:lovestruc :lovestruc

Wouldn't trade her for the world:hug:

Let me first say that this post if not DIRECTED at anyone. I'm not writing it based on any *particular* thread on the subject (though I have seen many), but rather was triggered by some things I saw this weekend.

I've read about people bringing these devices on their disney trip to use on the airplanes or in the hotel room, and I just dont understand it AT ALL. It's vacation, and its such a great opportunity to spend "down time" with kids....it should be taken advantage of.

I didn't read any other comments but :scared1: 3 kids talking to me for 18 hrs each way?? I love them I really do but I couldn't do it. They'd all be talking at once :scared: I'd need a vacation from my vacation. Now I know why as I kid we never went any place that took longer to get to than 3 hrs by car. :rolleyes1

I love my portable dvd player!! :) I especially loved it at WDW. When we went last September it was pure heaven! Waiting in line to watch Nemo, and waiting for fireworks is plain boring for a 2 year old. Trying to explain to them why we are waiting is almost impossible. They have no concept of time and why we are having to wait, all they know is that they want to watch the shows and they want it ASAP!

It was awesome being able to pull it out of my backpack and let my son watch a cartoon till the show started. It's also nice on car trips and plane rides not just for him but also for other travelers. I actually have been complimented on plane rides at how well my son was behaving. I think the other travelers on the plane would rather me have that dvd player keeping my son busy rather than dealing with a crying kid the whole time. :)

I don't think that I'm avoiding "spending family time" when I give him the dvd player. Shoot, if I didn't want to have quality family time I sure as heck wouldn't take a family vaction! :rolleyes:

I think if a family wants to use one for their children then it's their choice. That must be what works for their family. But if a family chooses not to use one then that's their choice as well. Each family is different and each family has different things that works for them and that doesn't work for them. I don't think that either choice is better than the other. That's what makes each family special in their own way. :)

My mom agrees with the original poster because she says that it used to involve creativity to keep entertained in the car. I think she forgets why we left at 4 in the morning when the creative brains in the backseat were sleeping! :lmao: I am sure if she had portable dvd players for us that she would have definitely used them. Ours recently broke and I was thinking of asking DH if he wanted to spend some of the tax rebate on buying another pair for the girls when we drive down in September. I would much rather them be quietly entertained so that when we get to the park we can enjoy the family vacation together.

Very interesting thought. I sat here thinking about it for a good few minutes to see if I agreed with that. I honestly believe there ARE more 'bad guys' out there today....now here's the kicker - likely BECAUSE of all the information that exists out there. So a bunch of people who might have just been strange but unharmful in the past can now see ALL THE NEAT psycho things that they could do - hurt children, build bombs, etc. So, I think this actually creates a less safe environment. Don't get me wrong - I know the bad guys existed back then - but #1 - parents didn't get called into CPS for letting their 4 year olds roam the neighborhood and #2 (maybe) more people were at home keeping watch on the neighborhood in general to make it more safe?

Actually, there really aren't more "bad guys" out there today. According to FBI crime statistics, there is less violent crime today than there was 30 years ago, when most of us were running around outside until the street lights came on. The number of children abducted by strangers has remained about the same for many years - between 120 and 140. Of course, it is an unimaginable tragedy for those children and their families. However, there are millions of children in the U.S., so the risk to your child is incredibly tiny.

We (I guess including myself now) gave this person 8 pages of responses, which I really don't think he deserved as the post was obviously intended to inflame.

We (I guess including myself now) gave this person 8 pages of responses, which I really don't think he deserved as the post was obviously intended to inflame.

I am starting to see that too.

1. Yes
2. No, it's a FAMILY vacation. ie "time spent with the family". When I need downtime I take a personal day.

I want a personal day...how do you get one of those?? :lmao:

My mom never used one either, but if they were availble and she had access I bet she would have been able to use the 70minuets to maybe grocery shop without getting a throbbing headache or go visit my grandparents without whiney complaining kids.

JMO.

I love the comments about watching the scenery out of the car windows. How many of us have driven through the Florida panhandle?? What do you see out of the window? Well, let's see, there are pine trees and, wow, more pine trees and look over there, more pine trees!! BO-RING! And how can we forget the drive south on I-75 with the lovely billboards advertising the nudie bars? Opens up aaaallll kinds of interesting dialogue with the kids.

Nope give me the DVD player anytime. Makes me a bad parent? Oh well.

As a child we regularly made the drive from New Orleans to WDW. My parents didn't talk to us, they yelled, BE QUIET!, KEEP STILL! STOP FIGHTING OR I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO FIGHT ABOUT!, which made us just fight silently. My sister and I couldn't color or read or play cards because all of those things made us hurl, which made the drive even more fun. As a parent to a 10 year old, now we regularly make the drive from Florida to New Orleans to visit family. My child watches her DVD player, plays Nintendo DS and listens to her iPod. We also play cards, watch for license plates, talk, sing, laugh and sleep. She can do these things in the car because, even though she gets car sick too, I give her Dramamine. (OOPS! Bad parent, giving my child drugs...). There is time enough on a 12 hour drive to do all of those things. Does she watch TV for 12 hours straight? No and I don't think any child would.

Believe me, her car trips are a lot more fun than the trips my family made as a child.

I'm not afraid to say it: I hope the DVD player never dies.

Kim

Ah see, I'm one of those 'lax' parents that is raising my kids the same way I was. I don't carry the same fear that many parents seem to. I'm happy that the neighborhoods we've lived in here in IN have also been filled with similar minded parents. Nothing is as great as seeing lots of kids outside playing, riding bikes, having pick up games of b-ball and just being kids...w/o any moms or dads hovering over them or freaking out if they leave sight of their house or heaven forbid leave their own block. ;)

And to the poster that said her parents fed them soda and fries to keep them happy on long rides...wow, you're lucky! LOL I got packed sandwiches from home and water! :rotfl:

Yup! I know I'm going to tick off a few parents but I think that's one of the reasons we have the problem with obese kids - people don't make their kids get up and go outside like we do. My son who is 4 is skinny partly because I'm really conscious about giving him lots of fruits and veggies and if he has snacks, we nosh on yogurt or 100 calorie snack packs. I make him go outside to play on the swingset or ride his bike. He's also in a soccer league and does karate 3 days a week. In our house the kiddo drinks water or milk - no juice. The only time he gets soda or lemonade is when we go out to eat which is only about once a week.

BTW, I too grew up in IN and it was definitely go outside! My parents never worried the way parents do now. I'm a little cautious but I'm not a freak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter