Double stroller for older / bigger kids for the parks?

My kids shared a double on our last trip when they were DD 6 and 65 lbs, DS 2.5 and 35 lbs. I was shocked they both nape led for an hour too! Bt we live in nyc and use strollers a lot, it's not unusual for four year olds to be in them sometimes older.
I am absolutely using one for my son who will be 4 and 39 lbs. but I. Ight get a double so my daughter who will be 8 and is 75 lbs and tall...she might need a ride form time to time. I won't put them both in it but DD has low stamina and some muscle weakness, I am thinking it might help her at the end of the night. Also want to enjoy the storage soace one more time ;)
I have the same feelings though, she a bit old, will people be rude etc. But you have to just do what's best for you, none of our opinions matter! Definitely make sure they have good footwear wiht support that is broken in beforehand that goes along way to helping kids walk the day in comfort regardless if they use a stroller.

I debated about renting a double the first time we took our kids down, DD was 4 and DS was 7. Decided that DS could walk as we do take afternoon breaks and I'm so glad we only got the single as the bus transport was bad enough with a single couldn't imagine a double.

Now that DD is almost 7 I'd still use a single for her. She's got CP and can't walk that far. She is tiny like your DD, only 34 lbs. but she's also just hit 40". (people think she's 4)

I say you know your kids best and get what you feel comfortable using. Screw the weird stares and disgusted looks. I ignore them. Especially since we use our stroller as a wheelchair which enables us to use in queues.

We just came back from a trip in June. I have a 4,5,7 and 9 year old. We had a double stroller for the two little ones and the older 2 boys walked the whole time. My 7 year old jumped in the stroller a couple times during our 7 day trip for a break but my 9 year old had no desire.
I think you would be fine either renting a single stroller and have them take turns or seeing how they do and then rent one of the park ones if they seem like they need it.

Btw, my 7 year old was a bit too tall for the stroller but made do for the rare moments he wanted to ride. No way would my 9 year old fit comfortably in it. The Disney ones seemed to be a bit more accommodating to bigger kids though.

Good luck and have a great trip!

If you can find a place offsite to rent a stroller from that will work for your kids, it would look into that!
I needed one when my kids were a bit older too, and it was good to have going back to the resort. Sometimes they were just too worn out (DD gets worn out easily especially), so I liked having my own, rather than having to return it upon leaving the park. Also, the ones in the park have gotten a bit expensive I think,
Good luck!

Hi all,

My kids are years out of stroller age (9 & 7) but because we go in August in the extreme heat, I usually bring my jeep double stroller for when it's too hot for them to walk around the parks. Well it broke & is discontinued so I can't buy it again, so I was wondering what I should do for this year's trip. (My son is 62 pounds & my daughter is 33 pounds).
Has anyone done the Disney stroller rental for older kids, or any other ides would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Marina

Double stroller worked fine when my dd was younger. I don't know about two in there though. Might be a bit cramped. Maybe switch them off if it gets too cramped for them both. I would guess they will walk most of the time so it probably won't be bad. Have a magical trip!!

Some people exist to do this sadly ... people need to just be supportive of other parents and keep their negativity to themselves. Don't like the topic KEEP SCROLLING. Ugh.

I didn't think the question was rude. I thought the response spoke to the thought process of the original poster. Doesn't care what the kids want or even try to find out what their desires are on the subject. I guess they'll just be strapped unwilling into the stroller.

I wasn't going to reply but some of these responses to what I thought was a legitimate and non-rude question make me want to put in my two cents. My older girl wouldn't stay in stroller after she was about 3 years old. She must have walked 10 miles around Boston one summer day while I pushed around her empty stroller. My younger daughter was willing to stay in a stroller a little longer but not much past 5. I might have got obstinate about it and said come hell or high water they were going in that stroller but I didn't want miserable kids. They have survived well and both still respond to my instructions and respect my wishes. At some point you have to loosen the reins a little. Including letting them participate in some small decisions about themselves. Every kid is different so you have to decide based on the child. Some of the input should come from the child themselves either based on asking them or just observation of their past and current behavior and actions. If the original poster wants or decides their kids need a stroller that is up to them but I think the question that caused this recoil is fully legitimate to ask. If they aren't taking the child's feelings about it into consideration at all I think that is a cause for concern. Especially as they get a little older.

We just came back from a trip in June. I have a 4,5,7 and 9 year old. We had a double stroller for the two little ones and the older 2 boys walked the whole time. My 7 year old jumped in the stroller a couple times during our 7 day trip for a break but my 9 year old had no desire.
I think you would be fine either renting a single stroller and have them take turns or seeing how they do and then rent one of the park ones if they seem like they need it.

Btw, my 7 year old was a bit too tall for the stroller but made do for the rare moments he wanted to ride. No way would my 9 year old fit comfortably in it. The Disney ones seemed to be a bit more accommodating to bigger kids though.

Good luck and have a great trip!

I agree with is post. My little cousins were 4 and 7. They are both girls and the 7 ur old is smaller then the 4 yr old. We got the double thinking the 7 ur old might ride a little. They both fit in the double but there wasn't much extra room. With that if she didn't have the option she won't have even thought about riding and she did walk most the time.

I would maybe try the first day and see how they do and then get one based on your need. You might only need the single bc they can switch.

I don't know your touring style but changing that up might be the better option. Take breaks and know you will need to pace yourself a little slower.

I wouldn't rent anything right away. I'd try it out and see how they do walking. If they are too tired to go further, you could rent a stroller at that point. That way, you're not wasting money if you don't need it. The single stroller isn't a bad idea either, with them taking turns. I think pushing a double stroller with 100 lbs of kid in it in August would be pretty tough. It's also a little harder to maneuver the double through the crowds. I'd also have both of them sit in it before renting to make sure they'd be comfortable. At 52 inches, it might be a little cramped for your DS.

I didn't read all of the replies, but I have a kind of similar situation so I thought I would give you my $0.02 worth and see if it helps you. I have a 5 yr old who weighs about 45 lbs and is 46", and he fits in the citi mini GT double just fine. We own one, and have also rented that same stroller from OSR, Magic Strollers, and Kingdom Strollers (to avoid lugging it to the airport and on the plane) and have been very happy with it. It's still big, but not as big and unwieldy as the Bob Dualie or the Citi Mini Summit. I kind of think of it as a hybrid between those and the umbrella stroller doubles and even the regular citi mini doubles. But the citi mini GT double holds a bigger kid and is easier to push than the regular citi mini double. I have a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old, and have no plans on going stroller-less for many years. Actually, my 5 yr old likes to use it more than the 2 yr old at times, but if we need to we can force the 2 yr old in a strap him down for when the crowds are bad or we need to hurry, and when he's tired he can sleep in it which is great. Out 5 yr old can even rest in it. I think it says the max weight is 100 lbs combined, but I'm confident a slightly heavier child wouldn't ruin the stroller if used occasionally, and your kids are under that anyway. Your only issue would be their heights, but I think they could manage to sit in it, they just might not be as comfy as shorter kids. I think pushing 2 older kids when they get hot and cranky beats trying to carry them or listen to them whine anyday, and it definitely beats having to leave early because they get cranky if a stroller will help.

I have never rented the in park strollers, so i can't help you with them.

Does your 7 & 9 year olds want to ride in a stroller? I only ask because at 9 yrs old, especially, kids usually are really sensitive to what their peers think, not adults. And might not feel comfortable riding in a stroller while their peers are walking. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm thinking of my children at 9. Both would have been embarrassed to be riding in a stroller & really would've been angry at me if I rented one for them. Just food for thought.

My kiddos were 45 and 35 lbs last year and our sit and stand was so hard to push and make turns with. I think the heavier the kids are, the better the park stroller rentals are vs. the store bought ones. Most store bought strollers (even the really expensive ones) have a weight limit.

I thought the rental ones navigated better the older the DD's got. It eliminated the lugging around on and off the transportation system. We always park hopped and you can get another rental with your same day receipts. Plus, if there were any half day's, pool days or water park days we didn't bother. .

The park rentals looked much easier and roomier for bigger kids.

My kiddos were 45 and 35 lbs last year and our sit and stand was so hard to push and make turns with. I think the heavier the kids are, the better the park stroller rentals are vs. the store bought ones. Most store bought strollers (even the really expensive ones) have a weight limit.

I would look at a sit-and-stand model as opposed to a double-wide model. Much easier to push and the bigger/older child has more freedom to hop on and off and not feel like they're being babied.

I didn't think the question was rude. I thought the response spoke to the thought process of the original poster. Doesn't care what the kids want or even try to find out what their desires are on the subject. I guess they'll just be strapped unwilling into the stroller.

I wasn't going to reply but some of these responses to what I thought was a legitimate and non-rude question make me want to put in my two cents. My older girl wouldn't stay in stroller after she was about 3 years old. She must have walked 10 miles around Boston one summer day while I pushed around her empty stroller. My younger daughter was willing to stay in a stroller a little longer but not much past 5. I might have got obstinate about it and said come hell or high water they were going in that stroller but I didn't want miserable kids. They have survived well and both still respond to my instructions and respect my wishes. At some point you have to loosen the reins a little. Including letting them participate in some small decisions about themselves. Every kid is different so you have to decide based on the child. Some of the input should come from the child themselves either based on asking them or just observation of their past and current behavior and actions. If the original poster wants or decides their kids need a stroller that is up to them but I think the question that caused this recoil is fully legitimate to ask. If they aren't taking the child's feelings about it into consideration at all I think that is a cause for concern. Especially as they get a little older.

The use of the word "mortified" intentionally or not, implied she should be "mortified" for even THINKING of putting an older child in a stroller.

Parents know their children and I'm sure the OP would know if her child would be receptive to the idea. While my oldest DD never, ever rode anywhere in a stroller at any time. For her safety, I put her in one at WDW, no questions ask.

WDW is a big and distracting place and I've watched many children walk straight into people, benches, walls etc.

This should do the job:

wall-e-hoverchairs.png

How about waiting and seeing how they do? Then you can either rent at the parks (no lugging it onto a bus or tram) as needed or rent from an offsite later on. Also, if you do end up pushing an extra 100+ lbs around be careful that you stay extra-hydrated yourself so you don't get heat stroke. Hope you have a great trip :)

The past two trips (DS8 and DS5) we rented a double stroller in the parks (December14/May15). DS8 is tall for his age and these worked great. Prior to that we rented a double city mini from kingdom or orlando strollers on several trips. Both were great service but I was tired of lugging the double stroller on the buses so last few trips we decided to rent in the parks. When we go in the fall I will plan to rent again in the parks--DS is now 9 and he will not complain, but I second asking your children or waiting to see how they do in the parks. WDW is not typical for kids--plus it will be great for them to rest in the hot sun. We did multiday rental for the discount and it was nice since we could park hop and get a new one the same day in the next park. Have a great trip!!

ETA we went with friends who had children the same/similar ages in April 2014 (so DS7, DS4, Friend's DS7, DD5) and even though I told her to think about renting a stroller she resisted. It was her first time to WDW with kids. We ended up renting a double stroller from the parks for the older boys since the kids kept fighting over the one single stroller I had brought for DS4. She also rented a single for her daughter as they were quickly tired of carrying her around. The park rentals do fit the larger kids much better--DS8 was ~56" and 50 lbs in Dec and DS5 ~42" and 40 lbs--and i found them easy to maneuver.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter