• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

double dipping on fp is gone

Given the comments about FP+ being an onsite only perk, I feel it's pertinent to post this information again.

This was stated by Tom Staggs in a response to comment 13 on this Disney Parks Blog post.

Source

And that is the case now but that doesn't mean that will be the case forever. This is a project that is being very slowly rolled out and will go through a lot of changes in the months and years to come. Never take anything said about any of the NextGen project as permanent.

I always saw FastPasses as a temporary perk that would eventually be for onsite guests only. The first time I used them in 2003 I thought that. I remember talking to a friend at the time and saying Disney was taking a page out of the drug dealers book. Give them to everyone for free now, get them used to them, and find a way to charge them for them later. Maybe not directly charge but either limiting them to certain guests or providing more/better for certain guests.

ETA: I stay either offsite or at a Value and I have to problem with any of this. I would have no trouble if FastPass went away entirely and I just had to tour by going standby. I probably won't make any FP+ reservations ahead of time as it is because I don't know which park(s) I'm going to most days until the night before at the earliest. That is part of why I find the whole debate pointless. You can still enjoy Disney without pulling a single Fastpass either old style or new style. Over the last decade I have spent many days in the parks without pulling a single one. One other occasions I did grab one or two. I still had fun every single time either way.

And that is the case now but that doesn't mean that will be the case forever. This is a project that is being very slowly rolled out and will go through a lot of changes in the months and years to come. Never take anything said about any of the NextGen project as permanent.

I always saw FastPasses as a temporary perk that would eventually be for onsite guests only. The first time I used them in 2003 I thought that. I remember talking to a friend at the time and saying Disney was taking a page out of the drug dealers book. Give them to everyone for free now, get them used to them, and find a way to charge them for them later. Maybe not directly charge but either limiting them to certain guests or providing more/better for certain guests.

ETA: I stay either offsite or at a Value and I have to problem with any of this. I would have no trouble if FastPass went away entirely and I just had to tour by going standby. I probably won't make any FP+ reservations ahead of time as it is because I don't know which park(s) I'm going to most days until the night before at the earliest. That is part of why I find the whole debate pointless. You can still enjoy Disney without pulling a single Fastpass either old style or new style. Over the last decade I have spent many days in the parks without pulling a single one. One other occasions I did grab one or two. I still had fun every single time either way.

That is your opinion, and that's fine...I've just noticed a that many people are taking speculation like this and thinking it's a current fact. The facts, as they are right now, is that FP+ is not going to be an onsite only perk. There are no statements from Disney Execs saying that it will ever be. There are, however, statements from Disney that it won't be.

I don't want people seeing the speculation and getting frustrated or upset with their currently planned trips because they think the speculation is fact.

Definitely makes sense to start that way.

His comments are interesting about off-site having the option to buy an MB and log into MDE. In order for off-site (not AP) to be able to reserve FP+'s, wouldn't there have to be a date commitment with cancellation fee associated with the ticket in order to manage the FP+ pool?

you don't need to have a MB to use FP+, though. FP+ works with the RFID cards as well, which all tickets are at this point.

That is your opinion, and that's fine...I've just noticed a that many people are taking speculation like this and thinking it's a current fact. The facts, as they are right now, is that FP+ is not going to be an onsite only perk. There are no statements from Disney Execs saying that it will ever be. There are, however, statements from Disney that it won't be. I don't want people seeing the speculation and getting frustrated or upset with their currently planned trips because they think the speculation is fact.

Do offsite guests have the ability to book FP+ in advance, in the same way that on site guests do?

Do offsite guests have the ability to book FP+ in advance, in the same way that on site guests do?

No one knows yet how that will apply to offsite guests. Disney has not rolled this out to offsite guests yet, as it's all still testing. The only official statements we have regarding offsite and FP+ is that offsite *will* have access. We don't know what that access will look like though.

No one knows yet how that will apply to offsite guests. Disney has not rolled this out to offsite guests yet, as it's all still testing. The only official statements we have regarding offsite and FP+ is that offsite *will* have access. We don't know what that access will look like though.

I think if off site guests have the same perks as on site guests there's a lot of incentive for people to stay off site.

I'm wondering if incentives like this aren't really intended to increase on site occupancy but rather keep what they have.

I think if off site guests have the same perks as on site guests there's a lot of incentive for people to stay off site.

I'm wondering if incentives like this aren't really intended to increase on site occupancy but rather keep what they have.

Onsite guests still have plenty of perks that offsite guests don't have. FP has never been an onsite perk. They certainly could have made it so a long time ago, and they've chosen not to.:confused3

I didn't say he mentioned anything about tiers - he didn't (though it should be noted that the tests occuring when that was posted in Jan 2013 had been tiered up until that point).

There were a few in this thread making comments about how FP+ would be an onsite only perk (not that prebooking would be, but that the whole thing would be), and I just wanted to address that as Disney has clearly stated it won't be.

I agree with ArwenMarie (I think that's who it was anyway) who said that the onsite perk will be a +10 day window for prebooking, much like ADRs have already.

Nothing personal, I was not calling you out or anything, sorry if I implied that. I was only trying to point out that they are taking something that is already scarce and making it rare. Usually a precursor to monetizing IMO. (which I don't necessarily have a problem with BTW)

I agree with you though you can't alienate the off-site guests. They have already promised them FP+. If they can't book a FP for anything they want I'm not sure how that will drive more people to the parks. Should be interesting to see how it all shakes out, I am sure these issues have been the topic of more than 1 conversation among Disney types. Maybe they will surprise us all with something magical pixiedust:

Onsite guests still have plenty of perks that offsite guests don't have. FP has never been an onsite perk. They certainly could have made it so a long time ago, and they've chosen not to.:confused3

Day-of access is tantamount to no access. Who needs a FP for Figment?

you don't need to have a MB to use FP+, though. FP+ works with the RFID cards as well, which all tickets are at this point.

I'm sorry- to book in advance is what I meant. I don't think there is a time delimited ticket at this point, is there? For off-site to have a, let's say, 60 day window when on-site had a 60+ window - Disney would have to have some sort of monetary commitment for it to work, it would seem?

Advanced booking looks like it will be an on site perk. This is something new and has never been offered to off site guests so it's not something that will have to be taken away.

Vidia2 said:
Advanced booking looks like it will be an on site perk. This is something new and has never been offered to off site guests so it's not something that will have to be taken away.

Actually, as has been stated by many people, no one knows what this will look like when it's done. THAT'S the only thing we do know.

What are the plenty of perks you talk about - beside EMH?

I'm sorry- to book in advance is what I meant. I don't think there is a time delimited ticket at this point, is there? For off-site to have a, let's say, 60 day window when on-site had a 60+ window - Disney would have to have some sort of monetary commitment for it to work, it would seem?

I don't see why they couldn't do what they're doing with APs...link your ticket to MDE and you can only book for days 60 days out, plus the length of your ticket (so w/a 7 day ticket, at 60 days you could book all 7 days).

There's nothing that stops AP holders from potentially scheduling FP+ and then not using it...the same would be said for offsite guests. But in order to prebook, you have to have a ticket purchased and linked to MDE.

Could it be abused? yes..but IMO (and yes, this is entirely IMO), I think something like this (which is similar to the ADR system) is what they were thinking of. That doesn't mean it's what it'll end up looking like, and I'm not saying it will...I just see the possibility.

What are the plenty of perks you talk about - beside EMH?

EMH is a pretty big perk, IMO. I know there are those who disagree, but we have always found it to be a great perk (more evening EMH than morning EMH, but still). onsite guests also get +10 days for dining reservations, access to the disney dining plan, free parking at the parks...

Yes, I realize that there are many who don't find value in those perks, but those are things that are only offered to onsite guests. As a Shades of Green guest, I only get access to EMH. I would definitely appreciate the +10 for dining and the free parking. I'd also like to try free dining at some point, but that option isn't open to SoG guests. :confused3

a big problem was the wifi in the room.. we had the little mermaid room and the wifi was barely working the whole week. i was trying to make changes to my FP+ and it was SUPER slow, like 4 mintues to get to the next page, then it over and over and then on the last page it would lock up. I'd have to wait until the next morning to try again. We had a smartphone and the Chromebook and it was the same on each. Sometimes it was not as slow as others and sometimes the internet was not working at all.

Then at the parks there are only a few FP+ kiosks. The locations are just a few and then they have only 1-2 machines. We were there mid Nov and we did not have to wait long everytime we wanted to use them, but what are they going to do when everyone learns what it is and how to use it?

I just want to add another thing that really bugs me.. they make you tap your magic band at the restaurants.. once you are sitting down trying to settle in and start eating the waitress/er comes over and you have to tap it and type in your pin number. Not what i want to do when i am just starting to eat -as was the case in character meals. I hated touching their germy often sticky key pad. I mean we checked in at the podium, why not do it there? And why is it now necessary? I did not like it!

EMH is a pretty big perk, IMO. I know there are those who disagree, but we have always found it to be a great perk (more evening EMH than morning EMH, but still). onsite guests also get +10 days for dining reservations, access to the disney dining plan, free parking at the parks...

Yes, I realize that there are many who don't find value in those perks, but those are things that are only offered to onsite guests. As a Shades of Green guest, I only get access to EMH. I would definitely appreciate the +10 for dining and the free parking. I'd also like to try free dining at some point, but that option isn't open to SoG guests. :confused3

Some of the perks you mention are the same perks other resorts give as well...so not exclusive to onsite Disney resorts.

We now avoid EMH and it works well for us. An experience w/ morning EMH at AK during what was suppose to be a low season October trip long ago was enough for me to never do it again. So in a way it's a benefit for our touring style that the guests migrate to the parks with EMH since we don't go to them those days. And as you point out it is also extended to resorts that are not "Disney", so that takes away the value a bit as well - EMH can be crowded unless it is late at night.

The Dining Plan became not such a good deal about 4 or 5 years ago. Depending upon the size of your family you probably would only break even. Free Dining is probably worth it, since it is a discount to your onsite package and you pay rack rate, but that brings on other issues - crowds and not getting to stay at the resort you may want since rooms are limited.

I've never used the perk of +10 for ADRs but I could see this as a little bit of a perk depending on when you are going and what ressie you want. We've never had a problem catching cancellations 45 days out.

Free Parking - somewhat of a perk if you don't take the bus/boat. All the other resorts around the area pretty much have a bus or shuttle for free as well.

I love Disney, don't get me wrong. And thus far we've always stay onsite. But the onsite resort perks are not really that great IMO especially since the rates are higher than average. All other resorts that we have stayed at during our travels have more and better perks.

When I hear people saying that you get all kinds of perks by staying onsite at Disney that no one else gets...it sort of makes me question what they mean by that. Just my take - not arguing your points really. The perks certainly aren't the reason we stay onsite, we just find it easier. I would actually like to see them give onsite guests more perks and I hope FP+ is a part of that if it is going to remain intact.

I just want to add another thing that really bugs me.. they make you tap your magic band at the restaurants.. once you are sitting down trying to settle in and start eating the waitress/er comes over and you have to tap it and type in your pin number. Not what i want to do when i am just starting to eat -as was the case in character meals. I hated touching their germy often sticky key pad. I mean we checked in at the podium, why not do it there? And why is it now necessary? I did not like it!

I would not like that at all - this is the first time I of heard this. When you are eating, that is family/private time imo outside of the waitress taking/bringing your order and paying your check at the end...who wants to be interrupted like that when actually eating or right before eating to enter data into a pad. I would tell them you'll have to come back after we are finished. Talk about a magical moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter