Dopey Worth It?

I too am/was a first time dopey runner this year. in fact, tis was my first Disney race ever!. Living 4,500 miles away proves quite difficult to justify costs/annual leave for running races, but a very understanding wife and an 8 year old son who could be bribed with the promise of wishables on my return meant i could undertake my ultimate running dream (Both had to stay at home due to UK school commitments).

Was it worth it.... Hell yeah. This trip cost me a little over £5,500 in total (Flights, hotel, food etc) Although i havent included things like race merchandise in that because thats of course per persons choice

Is "Every mile magic".... no, of course not! theres no race in the world that could realistically make that. The marathon is HARD, especially when you consider over the previous 3 days youve ran 22 miles already. There was also a long section between leaving magic kingdom and animal kingdom (About 6 miles) where there is nothing, just roads and cones and for middle distance runner like myself, this was where i really started to feel it and wonder if i could make the end.

Like people have also mentioned, the early starts..... i tried to keep my body on UK time (5 hours ahead of EST) so that waking up at 1:45 every morning felt more like 6:45 every morning, but by time the marathon morning came, that alarm going off was still just as difficult as everyone else has mentioned.

HOWEVER.... all that said, did i enjoy the experience yes (I did find it very hard leaving the family at home and ill be honest, going round the parks i didnt really enjoy as it just didnt feel the same, so after a couple of rides i just left). Running up Main Street USA to that crowd.... i will never be able to replicate that feeling i got in any other race i do in the future.

The atmosphere amongst runners and the costumes worn by everyone.... it was just amazing, there is no other set of races like this

Was it worth the money.... yes.... would i do it again...... on the fence..... i wanted to do it as the achievement to complete this and also to experience Disney races in all there glory was the thing i needed to drive me on through all the long training runs where i would have to loop my local town 6 or 7 times every other weekend.... now ive completed it, do i still have the same drive?

I would say to anyone on the fence about doing Dopey.... do it! at least once, get that experience, get those memories and stories that you can look back on for evermore and see if the bug bites. if it does, great, keep it going and enjoy again. If it doesnt, it wont mean its been a bad experience, its just you've accomplished the ultimate goal and sit back and enjoy those 6 medals!!!

Ive done multiple run Disney race weekends Including the the full marathon, princess and w&d challenge. I wont be doing any park days as we are taking my nephew for his 5th bday in December. I’d like to mark dopey off the bucket list but I’m leaning more towards goofy. I am having a hard time justifying the extra cost for 9.3 miles.

Last edited:

Ive done multiple run Disney race weekends Including the the full marathon, princess and w&d challenge. I wont be doing any park days as well are taking my nephew for his 5th bday in December. I’d like to mark dopey off the bucket list but I’m leaning more towards goofy. I am having a hard time justifying the extra cost for 9.3 miles.
No question that it is a lot more money for 9.3 miles and the extra medals. In my case, it was a bucket-list item that had been on my mind since I first heard about the Dopey. El cheapo me still doesn't want to think about what I spent for the Dopey, but life and schedule aligned such that I had the opportunity last month, so I went for it and had a great time.
If the weekend had been cold and rainy most of the time, I might feel a bit different, but for me the weather was nearly ideal and seeing the parks all lit up in the dark just for us was, well, magical. As I contemplate my next visit, it may be just the half for me and my son, or a Goofy with the wife along. But to have done a Dopey at least once, well worth it. An added bonus is the reactions from friends, co-workers, and your kids (if you have any) who are amazed at such a feat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter