• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Don't you think that's a little too much Disney, even for you?"

Golden Rose

Princess by Choice
We love our DVC, and we've recently added on a second time, so now we own at AKV, BWV, and VGF. We added on again, in part, because we calculated that with the trips we were planning on taking in the next year, we were going to be spending so much that more points made sense even at the new price.

We are so excited about the trips we currently were able to plan because of our DVC points.

We're about to go on a Disney cruise next month (not on points - we only use our points at the DVC resorts), so I guess it isn't relevant to this discussion except that it explains the Disney overload we're expected to experience. ;) Next spring, we're staying at the VGC for a couple of nights for my kids' first trip to DL, then we're headed to Hawaii for a trip that includes 4 nights at Aulani. Next summer, we're doing a split stay between AKV (our son's favorite) and (our new home!) VGF.

We're in 2 bedroom villas for all the DVC nights, as my DM and possibly my DstepF will be with us. We priced what these nights would run (2 regular rooms, a 2 bedroom villa, or a 2 bedroom suite) without DVC, and kept coming up with totals around $20,000. It's a great reminder to us what a great value DVC can be.

When we were discussing our planned trips with a family member, I was asked, "Don't you think that's a little too much Disney, even for you?" My response was, "No, I'm really looking forward to it. And it's a lot of really varied vacations, including several places we've never been together as a family."

I did ask DS if he would rather spent several days in San Diego and save DL for another vacation, since we'd be heading to WDW two months later. His immediate response was, "No, Mom, I want to try the Radiator Springs Racers, and those are only in California." That's my boy! ;)

Anyway, I partly just wanted to share how much we love our DVC after several years, and how versatile we're still finding it. And, although people talk a lot about how hard it can be to book less than 7 months in advance, we were able to book both VGC and Aulani for exactly the dates we wanted, at around 6.5 month mark.

My thoughts.

Some people have luck booking, some don't, depends on several factors.

As you spend more time at Disney, naturally your interests and patterns will change with time. You will always have your favorite things to do but rushing to ride all of the rides and to see all of the attractions isn't as important as it once was. Disney isn't going anywhere and there is always tomorrow especially for DVC owners and Disney doesn't change that much so after a few years, you have seen it all.

:earsboy: Bill

We've been members for 5 years, and we haven't always had the kind of luck we had for booking this batch of reservations. I know we got lucky with our Aulani and VGC reservations, but I am absolutely thrilled that we did. I'd read so much nervousness and unhappiness when trying to get these two resorts that I was really concerned, but I was delighted once we firmed up our dates and were still able to get exactly what we wanted. Sometimes I feel like this board makes it seem like if you don't book in the 11 month period, or right at the first moment of the 7 month window, you can't get a reservation. We couldn't book right when our 7 month window opened, we were still figuring out our plans.

I will say, I've never been able to get BLT when we wanted it, even booking right at the 7 month mark. I have been able to get VWL, BWV, and BCV within the 7 month period, although not always as many days as I'd have liked. In general, we've found that as long as we're willing to be flexible with where we stay when we don't want to stay at a home resort, we can usually find something. We knew we wouldn't have any options for California and Hawaii - it was GCV and Aulani, on cash or on points. Being able to do it on points makes me very, very happy.

We're already at the point where we spend a lot more time at the resorts than at the parks, or we were before DD hit the all princesses all the time stage. We love the resorts, and we love taking it slower and easier knowing we'll be back. (DD has not mastered the concept that the princesses will still be there next time. This makes our trips a little less relaxing.)

I would say for me ,my love for Disney and my dvc does not ever run out , but my money sure does.

The only thing I wonder about all those trips , is how do you get that much time off work :thumbsup2 . I am jealous .

The only thing I wonder about all those trips , is how do you get that much time off work :thumbsup2 . I am jealous .

We're using almost 2 years of points for these trips, and we're using more than one year's worth of vacation for them. So even though these trips will all be within a 7 month period of time, we're using the bulk of two years' vacation and points. We had to cancel one of our big planned vacations (to southern California, actually, which is part of the reason we added it to our Hawaii trip) due to my health problems this summer, so we are actually trying to use up a lot of vacation since DH's company basically has a use it or lose it policy.

I totally understand where you're coming from on this topic. We just returned from VGC and are going to WDW in less than 2 months. with a short cruise tacked on. We also have a split stay booked for VGF and AKV.... AND, lemme tell ya, Radiator Springs Racers are the BEST!! I was not expecting the actual race part (dunno why, once I reviewed the video I was making at the time, too wrapped up in videotaping) and was SCREAMING like a little girl!!! It was just the BEST!!!

You will LOVE Disneyland! It has all the familiarity and wonders that so much of Disney has, combined with SUCH EASE to get around!!

Now I'm wishing for another USA based Disney theme park, to enjoy that same newness, with some variety, yet familiarity. Kinda shot myself in the foot, as we will now be bicoastal Disney fans! Enjoy all the newness of the VGF and your stay at VGC.

I would say for me ,my love for Disney and my dvc does not ever run out , but my money sure does.

:rotfl: I hear ya.

We love our DVC membership too. We have been members for 3 years now and have used our membership to stay at WDW, DL (stayed at VGC this past June for the first time), and we are planning a June 2014 trip to HHI (first time there as well ). We too will be doing our first DCL cruise (we too are paying cash for it) in August. I had just told DH that this is the year of the firsts for our family because we are doing a lot of things that are new for our family but it's still Disney related. Luckily I have a DH that loves Disney as much as I do and both of my kids don't want to do anything but Disney (for now). So OP, I completely understand where you are coming from....enjoy it :goodvibes.

We are at 16 years of DVC ownership, and we still don't believe it is possible to have "too much Disney"!!!:thumbsup2 In fact...I'd say it's never enough Disney, since we are bounded by vacation time allotments.

When we were discussing our planned trips with a family member, I was asked, "Don't you think that's a little too much Disney, even for you?" My response was, "No, I'm really looking forward to it. And it's a lot of really varied vacations, including several places we've never been together as a family."

What I tell people is:
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
:rockband: :charac2: :mic: :music:

I'm here now, on a solo trip because kids are grown and working and DH just doesn't get as much vacation time as I do. Once the Fall comes I get the bug to be here as much as possible. We...DH and I, are coming back in 3 weeks! Then again in February and again in April!

I had a co- worker ask me when I was going on a "real" vacation? Are you kidding me???? I couldn't believe my ears. :scared1:I know people who go to a cabin in the woods 3x a year, and others who only cruise, and others who return to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean year after year. How is that any different than us returning to our favorite place? People spend years saving for a Disney vacation and look at it as one of their best vacations ever! A real vacation, give me a break:confused3

So to summarize, absolutely not ever too much Disney for me:cool1: I'd do it every month if I could. We own almost 14 years and have been bringing our children all through their childhood, sometimes with their friends. We've shared it with our parents, our friends and cousins and sometimes just the two of us.
Spending amazing fun quality time with our kids, family and friends....isn't that what a "real" vacation is anyway?;).

While we've slowed down some or get out of the parks before the fireworks so as not to wait long crowded lines for buses (like last night), we still enjoy the parks, and still haven't done all of what Disney has to offer! I greatly look forward to yet years to come of DVC vacations, best thing we ever did was to buy...

We've also used it to go to Sedona, AZ/ Grand Canyon, Charleston, SC, DVC HH and two Disney cruises :)

This trip I'm currently on was booked 4 weeks prior to check in. I'm at AKV!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Keep enjoying your DVC!!

We priced what these nights would run (2 regular rooms, a 2 bedroom villa, or a 2 bedroom suite) without DVC, and kept coming up with totals around $20,000. It's a great reminder to us what a great value DVC can be.

Yes - this. I just bought my DVC and took my family and parents to AKV and stayed in a 2 bedroom and have a week at BLT planned in May in a 2 bedroom. (Bought a loaded contract) The rack rates hover around 1,000/night for these rooms. After only a few years the purchase will have paid for itself and then I'm essentially spending the annual dues in return for great hotel rooms.

And yes, I know you can get "free dining" or discounted rooms but I can't imagine those 2 bed suites are ever *really* discounted.

We're in a phase of life where it's time for us to start taking our parents on vacation, our son is young now but eventually we will not want to share a room with him, where we want to relax and feel at home on vacation. DVC is helping us do all of that. Family breakfasts in the room. Nana and Grampa in the next bedroom for bedtime snuggles with the tiny person. And a more relaxed pace because, hey, we'll be back soon!

When I reach the point of having enough points to stay at WDW for an entire year straight, during which I spend every dollar I have left in all of my accounts, squandering the last few dollars on Mickey ears and a Mickey t-shirt, and am compelled to file bankruptcy at the end of the year ... that is when I will have had "a little too much Disney, even for me."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter