• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dollywood area campground?

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
OK, so this isn't a FW question, but a chick has to try out different vacation spots everyonce in a while right?!?!?!

I have never been anywhere near Dollywood, but from what i read, the area directly surrounding the place is quite like a city. NOT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I also have read that not too far away though is very lovely country and a slower pace. That is what i am looking for.

Any good recomendations for a Dollywood area campground? (i don't mind traveling a half hour up to an hour to get to Dollywood or other attractions - just would like to stay at a nice campground away from the city and crowds.)

- lori

What a beautiful area that is.
I much prefer Sevierville,Gatlinburg, or best of all the Great Smoky Mtn. National Forest.
If you want a little more out and less hook-ups ( no electric/ only water), check out the National Forest. Most of the NF campgrounds close 10/31
They have so many private campgrounds in this area I would suggest to do a search online.
Make sure if you go, to spend a day in the smokies its a awesome place to hike, picnic or just relax.
Here is a sample of one campgroud more can be found at www.nps.gov
these are National Parks Campgrounds.

Elkmont Campground
MAKE RESERVATIONS
ONLINE -or- by Phone at 1-800-365-CAMP

Open From 3/14/03 through 11/30/03
Reservations accepted up to five months in advance for May 15 - Oct. 31 occupancy. Other dates first-come, first-serve. This campground has 220 sites and sits at elevation 2,150 feet. No campground has electric hookups or shower facilities, only running water and bathroom facilities. $14-20 each night. Group camping is also available. Reservations can be made either on line or by calling 1-800-365-CAMP.

The area near Cades Cove is gorgeous. The Nat'l Park operates the very nice, shady Cades Cove Campground at the Cades Cove park entrance. Don't know about hook-ups at the sites. The main negative about this place is that there are NO showers, though the comfort stations do have running cold water.

In that general area, which is about 45 minutes from Gatlinburg, there are two popular, creekside, private campgrounds with more amenities. These are Tremont Hills Campground & Cabins and Little River Village. Never stayed at either one but they both have many, many repeat visitors.

If you want to stay closer to the action, with a lot of activities, Crazy Horse Campground is popular in Gatlinburg, on a road about a mile out of town, along the trolley route. The campsites at the very back of the campground are reportedly not as nice as those in the middle and front. Many repeat visitors but a bit pricy.

In Sevierville, there's River Plantation RV Park - a very sunny campground along a creek. It's directly off the main drag but set back away from the traffic, so it's quiet. Nice clean bathhouses, a game room & playground for the kids and a good pool area in summertime. Their prices are much more reasonable than most private campgrounds in that area. The staff is very pleasant and we like the location a lot for our purposes (sleep, swim, shower between sightseeing) so we've gone back.
HTH! :sunny: :wave: :sunny:

FWIW, the area is nothing like a city. There are no high rise buildings. Everything is sprawled out. There's a lot of traffic during tourist season, especially during the weekends. But it's nothing like a city, definitely more suburban with pastural farms and mountains surrounding it.

The problem with most campgrounds in the area is that they tend to have very tight campsites, one on top of the next. No privacy at all. And prices are way too high at most of them. However, they are full most of the summer and mid-late October (leaf season) so they can get those prices. The few I mentioned above are not as much like this as the rest that we've seen.

No matter where you stay (even the national parks), get a reservation. Call ahead and ask for a tourist road map so that you will know how to get there by back roads if you hit a lot of traffic. There are several back ways, which the locals use to get around summer weekend gridlock. Enjoy - it really is a fun area with something for everyone! :D

OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents. In 2002 we atended the Pop Up Times Eastern Rally at the Little River Village Campground

On my own personal scale of a 1 to 10, I give the Little River Village Campground an 8. This is a family run operation and the attention to detail shows.

Many of the sites are a little small for my taste, but the facilities and staff more than made up for this. The river front sites give you a little more breathing room so book one if you can.

The campground has a staff that would put most other campgrounds to shame. There is always someone around when you need them and they are very attentive to campers needs. Two modern bath houses provide sufficient facilities at all but the busiest times of the day. The main bathhouse closes from 1p to 3p for cleaning.

A beautiful and well maintained pool is open 10a to 10p, with 10p to midnight available for adults only. Many rental items are available including tubes for riding down the river as well a bicycles. A half court basketball court is available, and you can check out a ball from the office.

The landscaping is beautiful which adds to the relaxing atmosphere. For the kids in addition to the pool there is riverfront area for swimming, a play area with swings and teatherball, and a game room that includes a pool table.

A well stocked camp store is open all day (and most of the night) to provide those things you might have forgotten. The best deal is the Little River Village Coffee Mug. For $4.95 you get unlimited 25 cent refills for your stay! If you need a little more variety, a supermarket is less than one mile to the west.

The campground is located right outside the Townsend entrance to the Smoky Mountain National Park and is just a short drive to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Between these two cities and the amusement parks in the area (like Dollywood) there is plenty to do for everyone in the family.

While it is no FW, I think it is as close as you are going to get in this area.

If you go in the summer I highly recomend tubing the river from the park back to the campground. If you reserve one of the riverside sites you can walk up the bank right to the camper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter