Doing a split stay - which resort first?

blossombrd

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW for 8 nights in May. There will be four of us - me (DW 52), DH 53, grandson age 7 and DS 31. We have decided to do a split stay and stay at one of the All-Stars (either Movies or Sports - can't decide!) for 4 days and AKL for 4 days. We can't decide which resort to stay at first. DH and I have been to WDW by ourselves but have never taken a small child. We usually stay at the All Stars or POP because it is economical. Last time we were there (2007) we visited AKL and fell in love with it. We think our grandson will love it there both for the zero entry pool and for the animals.

We have decided to get 2 rooms at the All Star resort and one room at AKL (can only afford 1 standard room at AKL). We plan to get settled in around lunch time the day we arrive and probably head to a park. The last day, we will probably leave about 9 am so won't have much time for the resort, let alone go one last time to a park. As we usually do, we will probably take two days as "rest" days to hang around the resort or go to Downtown Disney.

Which resort should we stay at first? If we were getting only one room at All Stars, it would be a no-brainer - would stay there first. But I'm wondering if we will be more comfortable moving into 2 rooms at the All Stars during the latter 4 days of our stay.

Please help me decide!

would go with value first and deluxe last.

at the value resort you will be spending more time in the parks than in the room.
that is what value resorts are for

when you get to the deluxe you will want to spend some time each day just enjoying and exploring the resort. with AKL there is alot to explore. You will probably want to take part in its night time activities. so when you check in ask for an activity list and see what is planned for each night of your stay.

you can relax even with everyone in one room easier in a deluxe than a value.

value are great for the start - they are exciting and can be noisey - deluxes are almost the opposite.

We are going to WDW for 8 nights in May. There will be four of us - me (DW 52), DH 53, grandson age 7 and DS 31. We have decided to do a split stay and stay at one of the All-Stars (either Movies or Sports - can't decide!) for 4 days and AKL for 4 days. We can't decide which resort to stay at first. DH and I have been to WDW by ourselves but have never taken a small child. We usually stay at the All Stars or POP because it is economical. Last time we were there (2007) we visited AKL and fell in love with it. We think our grandson will love it there both for the zero entry pool and for the animals.

We have decided to get 2 rooms at the All Star resort and one room at AKL (can only afford 1 standard room at AKL). We plan to get settled in around lunch time the day we arrive and probably head to a park. The last day, we will probably leave about 9 am so won't have much time for the resort, let alone go one last time to a park. As we usually do, we will probably take two days as "rest" days to hang around the resort or go to Downtown Disney.

Which resort should we stay at first? If we were getting only one room at All Stars, it would be a no-brainer - would stay there first. But I'm wondering if we will be more comfortable moving into 2 rooms at the All Stars during the latter 4 days of our stay.

Please help me decide!

I would do the value resort first, too. Everyone is usually all excited to do everything and see everything as soon as they get to WDW. Usually we find out that after a few days we start to wind down and want to spend more time relaxing, or at least going slower. AKL will be perfect for that. And your grandson may be a lot more interested in watching the animals once he has done his favorite rides. :)

Normally I would say value first, but the decision gets a little more difficult since you will have only one room at AKL and 2 at the value resort. I guess that is why you asked the question!!! I think it depends on how you plan to tour the parks since you will want more time at the parks at AKL and how you think everyone will get along at the beginning vs the end. I think the problem with value first is that everyone will have gotten used to having their own space and then suddenly you will have 3 adults and a child in one room. I am not familiar with AKL. Will your room have a balcony or some sort of space for someone to get "away" from the others if need be? I guess since the resort is so nice they could just leave the room and wander around....

Ok, sorry, I am no help.......I tried! really I did! I thought I had an answer when I started typing!

I would still do AKL second. We did a savanna view room at AKL with me, DH, MIL, and FIL, and DS (turning 3). It was really fine :) We got along great for 7 nights.

I say value first while you are hitting the parks so you will have 2 bathrooms to get ready. Then relax at AKL

I am not familiar with AKL. Will your room have a balcony or some sort of space for someone to get "away" from the others if need be? I guess since the resort is so nice they could just leave the room and wander around....

the room will have a balcony and will have 2 queen beds vs the double in the value - plus this is a resort with a lot of stuff to do and see.

remember just because you don't have a great view in your room - does not mean you can't go and enjoy the other views - along the savannah there are big windows every few feet - plus on the 2nd floor there is a porch type thing - but big enough for several people - it has chairs might have rockers. no roof on this one.

alone the 3rd floor the one close to the lobby is another porch with rockers - but the views are better in the other one. there is a roof on this one.

from the lobby you can walk out on the savannah - you need to go down some steps (it is really on the 2nd floor) - to get outside to see the different animals. their are guides outside to help you.

We have done split stays several times and love to end with AKL/AKV. Even in the case of your only one room (we just survived 7 days in a BLT studio with me, DD33,DSinL32,DGrD1 and DGrD9 - and that is one smaaaaallll room - lol. It wasn't planned that way, but once Sandy came through NJ and kicked our butts I just couldn't say no to DD and her fam to get away while they were out of work post-storm;)).
Anyway, I agree with pp that the first few days everyone is all gung ho and then we slow down the last few days - love slowing down at AKL:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I'll jump on the bandwagon too and say AKL second. As the week goes on you might be a little more worn out and want to spend more time at the resort than early in the week when you are raring to go and wanting to spend as much time as possible in the parks.

with a standard view room you might get an upgrade - but if you don't and have the awful parking lot view - don't worry - just get out and look around the resort. It is lovely!!!

AKL second! There is so much to do there. That is where I would want to spend my days off from the parks. DGS will love the poolslide and the splash pad/pool at Kidani is great. Not to mention all of the cultural activites going on throughout the day. There is a whole list of resort activities happening.

I would do park days on your All Star stay dates then make your day of check in at AKL a resort day at AKL. Then you will have the luxury of deciding for the remaining days of your stay whether you want to do part theme park, part resort day or have another full resort day if that is what DGS would like.

Be sure to check into the price of pool view at AKL. When we were there, it was only $10 more per night than standard view so we did that. I highly recommend pool view with a request to be in the Zebra Trail section. When you walk down the hallway to your room, you walk past windows looking over one of the savannas. We couldn't afford savanna view so this was a nice option.

Have fun!

I always say Value first. We went from Pop to Bay Lake this year and it would've been a disappointment to leave Bay Lake for a value.

Normally I would say value first, but the decision gets a little more difficult since you will have only one room at AKL and 2 at the value resort. I guess that is why you asked the question!!! I think it depends on how you plan to tour the parks since you will want more time at the parks at AKL and how you think everyone will get along at the beginning vs the end. I think the problem with value first is that everyone will have gotten used to having their own space and then suddenly you will have 3 adults and a child in one room. I am not familiar with AKL. Will your room have a balcony or some sort of space for someone to get "away" from the others if need be? I guess since the resort is so nice they could just leave the room and wander around....

Ok, sorry, I am no help.......I tried! really I did! I thought I had an answer when I started typing!
:rotfl2: This is exactly what I was wrestling with - not that we don't get along, we do. But I know we will get tired toward the end of the stay and may even get a little cranky!

AKL second! There is so much to do there. That is where I would want to spend my days off from the parks. DGS will love the poolslide and the splash pad/pool at Kidani is great. Not to mention all of the cultural activites going on throughout the day. There is a whole list of resort activities happening.

I would do park days on your All Star stay dates then make your day of check in at AKL a resort day at AKL. Then you will have the luxury of deciding for the remaining days of your stay whether you want to do part theme park, part resort day or have another full resort day if that is what DGS would like.

Be sure to check into the price of pool view at AKL. When we were there, it was only $10 more per night than standard view so we did that. I highly recommend pool view with a request to be in the Zebra Trail section. When you walk down the hallway to your room, you walk past windows looking over one of the savannas. We couldn't afford savanna view so this was a nice option.

Have fun!
I like your suggestion about staying in a pool view room and appreciate your suggestion of the Zebra Trail section, since I was wondering what section to stay in. At rack rate, it's only $12 more per night - I think we will do that!

You all bring up some great points! Thanks for all the information and your past experiences with a full room. We have decided to do the All Stars first and AKL last when we will need to relax more. I have to remember that this trip is for DGS and we won't be able to go commando-style in the parks like we usually do - plus DH and I aren't getting any younger and our bodies might appreciate slowing down a bit!;)

I would do the All Star first and then, AKL....be spoiled on the last part of your vacation.

Another vote for the value first. As others have stated, there are so many wonderful places to unwind at AKL. I also would recommend looking into a pool view room for just a little more. You will be nicely centrally located and get a nice nice view and balcony overlooking the pool. Have a wonderful vacation. :)

Another vote for value first then AKL. No way you'll want to leave AKL for the value.

I did this exact split stay and we were so excited to be moving to AKL for the last part of the trip, so my vote also goes to doing All Star first.

If you are worried about people gettin' crabby by the end of the trip, I think the fact that AKL has so much to do (pool, nice lobby area, savannah), your party will have a lot to enjoy if they need to split up :)

I would do the value first. I think it would be nicer to end the trip at the deluxe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter