Dogs and fire pits

TDreams

Earning My Ears
Hi! New here, hopefully I’m doing this right. We just made reservations for our first tent trip. I was excited about camping because we’ve opted out of visiting a park this year so this seemed like a good Disney alternative and I’d heard dogs were welcome. I noticed on the website it being mentioned that’s dogs are not allowed in tents or pop up campers... that doesn’t include personal tents right? We’re bringing our 5 lb blind Yorkie who will sit in our lap the entire time we’re there but I want to make sure she will be “allowed” in our own tent at night to sleep. Also, if we bring our own portable fire pit are we allowed to burn wood in it within our campsite?
Thanks so much!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/number-of-pets-per-site.3784114/post-61380741
Pet-Friendly Policy
Furry friends are welcome to join your family’s camping adventure as long as the following conditions are met.
  • All pets must be kept on a handheld leash that is 8 feet or shorter or confined in the interior of the owner’s climate-controlled personal recreational vehicle. Pets are not permitted in tents and pop-up campers.
I guess the key to your answer is "climate controlled" no matter who owns the tent or pop-up.

Last edited:
TDreams, Welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks:

Stork quoted that old guy above (he's an odd bird kinda like Yoda) but we have a flier posted in our FW Resort Info sticky thread to demonstrate approved and non-approved fire pits. See post #10:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/fort-wilderness-resort-information-a-work-in-progress.3502095/

But generally yes, mesh tops bad, solid tops good. And at times when there has not been much rain there will be an entire burn ban in the area so NO pits are allowed to be used then.

Yes, no pets in tents. Disney tries to be somewhat consistent and while you may have a quiet, meek pet who will be with you at all times, other folks don't have that arrangement. And time of year can be a factor. So the rule is the rule to keep it simple.

I had a tent (with my Aliner) in a Preferred site one time and the site behind me (two interior sites back-to-back) had a tent that someone had snuck a dog into and it yapped in the wee hours every time someone walked by or heard voices. My folks in the tent heard him every time since he was only a few feet away.

Oh and like most places, don't bring firewood from home or out of state. Get it locally in the Orlando area.

Good luck!

Bama Ed

Last edited:

I’m intrigued, as I’ve never heard this rule before. What’s the reasoning for it?
This is actually pretty common around the country. There are many diseases that affect trees. For example, there could be a blight that affects oaks in Virginia. By bringing the wood to Florida it could infect the local Florida trees. Same goes all over. I've run into it in MD, VA, PA, WV, and TN.

PA you can not bring, firewood from outside the state and we are not to transport it in the state either, it can bring in the Emerald Ash borer, Hemlock wooly adelgid, Asian longhorned beetle, Asian Chestnut gall wasp, and the spotted lantern fly. One can bring in ticks, and other insects also.

PA you can not bring, firewood from outside the state and we are not to transport it in the state either, it can bring in the Emerald Ash borer, Hemlock wooly adelgid, Asian longhorned beetle, Asian Chestnut gall wasp, and the spotted lantern fly. One can bring in ticks, and other insects also.
I thought that rule is universal to all lower 48 states, no out of state firewood import? Kind of a "tree Covid" response, isn't it...

I’m intrigued, as I’ve never heard this rule before. What’s the reasoning for it?

Now I am afraid Pluto brought some of that Louisiana wood with the Cajun beatle bug up here to Alabama last fall when he came to the Talladega NASCAR race. :scared:

We gonna be overrun with hords of tiny “who dats” in the spring. :eek:

Ed
PS - I might be charged as an accomplice :scared1:

Last edited:
So ummmm, asking for friend here.....

If they
A) bought a pre-packaged bundle of firewood from Lowes just before a trip to FW last Oct, and
B) transported the said firewood in back of truck with camping equipment to FW, and
C) then used the said firewood in a FW approved firepit.

would they be OK, or are they a firewood smuggler and need to go into hiding?

edit: the fire wood in question was purchased in GA, and says the source is TN, and has all kinds of certificate notices for FL and describes the heat treating methods used.

So ummmm, asking for friend here.....

If they
A) bought a pre-packaged bundle of firewood from Lowes just before a trip to FW last Oct, and
B) transported the said firewood in back of truck with camping equipment to FW, and

would they be OK, or are they a firewood smuggler and need to go into hiding?

edit: the fire wood in question was purchased in GA, and says the source is TN, and has all kinds of certificate notices for FL and describes the heat treating methods used.

Yes pre-packaged wood is kiln dried to a high enough temperature to kill off the bugs or eggs that would be in or on the wood. It is an issue when Uncle Eddie, cuts down the rotten old tree on the back 40 and hauls it all over, loosing pieces as he travels down the highway....

As for dogs, I've seen dogs in the tent loops often including this weekend. HOWEVER, my best friend was not allowed to check in when they saw her dog (she has a popup) and had to board it at, I believe, Disney Wagging Tails. So, while I think that dogs get by often, I know from personal experience (we were camping together that trip) that they can and do enforce the rules. Up to you your level of risk tolerance.

So ummmm, asking for friend here.....If they
would they be OK, or are they a firewood smuggler and need to go into hiding?...
I've wondered the same thing concerning kiln-dried, pre-packaged wood from Home Depot and Lowes. Who's to say you didn't buy it at the Kissimmee Lowes versus your hometown Home Depot north of Mason-Dixon?
Bottom line: please don't bring in non-native insects to Florida. We have enough problems with the import of Burmese Pythons.

I've wondered the same thing concerning kiln-dried, pre-packaged wood from Home Depot and Lowes. Who's to say you didn't buy it at the Kissimmee Lowes versus your hometown Home Depot north of Mason-Dixon?
Bottom line: please don't bring in non-native insects to Florida. We have enough problems with the import of Burmese Pythons.

And Iguana's

What if the non-native insects kill the pythons?

and, ummm, we definitely don’t transport firewood to talladega. Or something.

I figured thats what the reasoning had to be. Just never heard that before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter