Does your doctor call you with mammo results?

I just got the "negative" letter from the Mammography Center. No one called me, but I'd assumed (rather, hoped) that if there was anything they'd call me in a day or two. If I had to wait until I got the letter, everything was probably OK. Good thing I already got that letter-if not, after reading here, I'd know that what I'd assumed/hoped wasn't necessarily true.

My doc tells me right there, and I also get a letter in the mail.

Exactly the same for me. Although I do have to add that since I had breast cancer 5 years ago I get my mammo done at Sloan Kettering, a cancer hospital in NYC.

Hope you are doing well. They called and I have to go for more pics.

I had to go for more pictures for about 2 years and then I finally got my insurance company to pay for more in depth pictures every time I went.

I'm doing great - because of the extreme history of breast cancer in my family I expected to get it sometime and I knew what I would do when I did get it. 2014 was a crazy year for sure.

Many positive thoughts for you!

Please do not skip a year mom2. My breast cancer was very aggressive and had grown in the 11 months since my previous mammogram, when nothing was there. (We went over it with a fine tooth comb.) Two of my axillary lymph nodes were positive, so it had already spread locally. Had I waited another year, I might not be here today. Fortunately, we got it early and I had the most aggressive treatment available. My twins were just five years old at the time, so I know the feeling you're talking about.

I suggest people choose carefully where to get their mammograms. It's not something we often think about - a mammogram is a mammogram, right? Well we can see here, there are differences. I used to go to my health care group's radiology dept, but after a major screw up (that left me pretty devastated for almost a month), my oncologist had me go to a comprehensive breast center where, before I leave for the day, a radiologist has discussed my results with me and I leave with a copy. It is such a relief to walk out of there. This year I would up with an ultrasound but again, the radiologist did it herself and discussed her findings with me during the course of the exam, so I left with no worries. So if possible, really take a good look at where you get your mammograms.

Thanks Pea. I needed to hear that. :hug: I'm sure glad you're here.

My doctor orders my mammo but I go to a different office to have it done. I usually get a letter 7-10 days after directly from the imaging center, with a copy going to my doctor. A few years ago, I pointed out an area of concern to my OB/GYN. She said it felt like cyst and she wasn't too worried about it and ordered a mammo. About two days after I went in, the center called me and very nicely said the area of concern showed up on the film. The doctor there thought it looked like a cyst, but wanted to do an ultrasound to get a closer look. They had me come in the next day. The doctor did the ultrasound and said it looked like a fluid-filled cyst, and said it looked like it was already starting to resolve itself. She was very nice and very reassuring and I left happy. About a week after that, someone from my OB/GYN's office called. She said, "The doctor just looked at your mammo results and you have a mass. You need to go back right away and get an ultrasound." She was very abrupt, totally insensitive and kind of rude. I explained that the imaging center had already called me, I had already had the ultrasound, and it was a cyst and nothing to worry about. I told her my OB/GYN should have already received that result, in addition to the original mammo. She proceeded to lecture me about how busy the doctor is and that she can't possibly get through the pile on her desk the same day, nor can the staff make the follow-up calls that quickly. I was so glad that the imaging center was on top of things. This woman would have scared me to death if hers was the first call I'd received.

I had been thinking about switching doctors before that. Basically, I loved the doctor, but couldn't stand the staff and their procedures. I'd play phone tag with them for days just to get an appointment. It took days to get a prescription refill approved. I'd mentioned it to the doctor before and she said, "Refills approvals are supposed to go out the same day." I told her they don't, and she just brushed it off. So I've been with my new doctor for two years. Just saw her the other day for my annual. She's awesome. Her staff is awesome. I'm much happier!

Thanks for all the responses. I was away for a few days.

I had a scare two years ago, had a biopsy and was told everything was ok. But the biopsy was a nightmare (an artery was pricked, there was a lot of pain and bleeding). After that I skipped last year and now I'm worried because I waited two years. I am starting with a new doctor this time. The imaging center doesn't have an opening until 7/10, so I'll just have to think positive thoughts til then.

Thanks for all the responses. I was away for a few days.

I had a scare two years ago, had a biopsy and was told everything was ok. But the biopsy was a nightmare (an artery was pricked, there was a lot of pain and bleeding). After that I skipped last year and now I'm worried because I waited two years. I am starting with a new doctor this time. The imaging center doesn't have an opening until 7/10, so I'll just have to think positive thoughts til then.

My first biopsy was a nightmare too. And I did the same thing as you.... put off going back because I just couldn't deal with the possibility of a repeat. You're doing what you have to now. Take a deep breath and move forward. Odds are that it will be fine. And think how great you'll feel when it's over.

My first biopsy was a nightmare too. And I did the same thing as you.... put off going back because I just couldn't deal with the possibility of a repeat. You're doing what you have to now. Take a deep breath and move forward. Odds are that it will be fine. And think how great you'll feel when it's over.
I am a member of the biopsy nightmare club, too. I've been assured much has "changed" since. I am going to get a mammogram this year. It's kinda sad, isn't it? We really can't talk about it because:
1. We don't want to scare others
2. We should be grateful we didn't have cancer, even if we end up with one of the in between diagnosis like benign breast disease.
Anyway, hugs to those who have been there with this. I understand. :hug:

I am a member of the biopsy nightmare club, too. I've been assured much has "changed" since. I am going to get a mammogram this year. It's kinda sad, isn't it? We really can't talk about it because:
1. We don't want to scare others
2. We should be grateful we didn't have cancer, even if we end up with one of the in between diagnosis like benign breast disease.
Anyway, hugs to those who have been there with this. I understand. :hug:

Hugs to you for your bad experience.

I broke out in tears 4 years after that first one when they told me I needed another biopsy. But I can attest to the fact that they can and did do much better than I experienced that first time. (Definitely not the same type of procedure, same doctor or same facility). I would be just as worried if I had to go back again, but I would not be as worried about the procedure itself.

My consolation is that I know it will be even better by the time my daughter is old enough to experience any of this.

After that second biopsy, my doctor told me they were improving things constantly and that my odds of another false positive went down every year. Not sure if they're using better imaging on me now, or if age is changing what they see, but I breathe a huge sigh of relief every time I walk out with the all clear. I recovered from that last biopsy while watching coverage of Katrina. So it's been almost 10 years now.

I hope this shows everyone that:

1) even after 2 false positives I now continue to go. I've been a good girl of late, but had one period where I went either 2 or 3 years without. And honestly, it's just a lot less stressful to go annually than to experience the worry that builds over a longer period of time.

2) you CAN have an unpleasant experience and still drag yourself go back.

3) imaging and procedures get better all the time. What happened in the past is not what will happen in the future.

4) It doesn't matter why you go. Just go. If you won't do it for yourself, do it for your daughters. Do it for your sons. Do it for your family.

The breast has a lot of blood vessels that supply the glands and ducts. Because biopsies have to include tissue from various sites of the area in question, the likelihood of hitting a blood vessel is fairly high, unfortunately. Also, when there is an actual cancerous tumor, it is being fed by its own blood supply.

I miss my old breast center! At my old center I was able to get the results and extra images if needed on that day. I also had an ultrasound on the same day, then followed by a biopsy the next day. I truly didn't have time to think about it. The only time I had to wait was for a lumpectomy and that was only a two week wait. Now, I have to wait a month for the results of the images, not a happy camper about that.

OP, I hope everything turns out fine and that the doctors were just being cautious.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter