• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Thunderstorm/Lightning Threat Shut Down the Monorail?

GrnMtnMan

DIS Veteran
Does the threat of lighting impact the monorail the same way it impacts boat transportation? Meaning, if there is lightning in the area of the monorail beams, do they shut down the monorails? And if they do shut them down, do they shut down both the MK and Epcot loops at the same time, or just the one that's near the threat?

Background: We're in the planning stages of our summer 2016 trip and we're trying to figure out which resort. We stayed at the Beach Club Villas last summer, and we were surprised by how frequently the boats to DHS and Epcot were shut down. Basically, if lightning strikes somewhere close to the Friendship boat routes (which spans from the boat docks in the world showcase lagoon to the entrance of DHS), all of the boats get shut down. They then start up a bus route as replacement. With frequent afternoon thunderstorms, the shut downs impacted us quite a bit.

We're already reserved at BLT next summer. But if the monorail is subject to the same shutdown frequency as Epcot boats, we might try for the AKVs or SSR instead, since we'd end up bussing (or walking) most places anyway.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Last edited:
I don't believe so, I've been on the monorails in storms, but i don't remember how bad/close the Lightning was.

for me, if you have the option to walk back to your hotel if the boat/ monorail shuts down, that's a plus also.

well,no not in a thunderstorm, but sometimes they shut stuff down if lightning is in the area and not really on top of things.... that's what I meant,or sometimes a passing shower,and then you can walk wherever easily after ...

Thanks everyone.

I don't believe so, I've been on the monorails in storms, but i don't remember how bad/close the Lightning was.
I imagine of lightning strikes the track, they might have to shut things down. But that's a much different threshold for shut down than for the boats. For the epcot/dhs boats, lighting within some radius of *anywhere* along the boat route shuts them down. That makes them shut down pretty often during the summer months.

Or, if a tornado is spotted anywhere in the vicinity!!! We left the Polynesian one sunny August afternoon. By the time we got to the MK, the sky was black...yes, it happened that quickly! No ponchos, nothing! We got off the monorail, and they just stopped it!! It sat there.....evidently, there had been a 'sighting' over closer to Epcot!! No cars running. And of course, the thunder/lightning was so horrific at this point, that hundreds of people were stuck on the MK monorail platform. After about 40 mins, some of us just took a deep breath and walked over to bag check. It was 3:45pm, but all the lights were on! It was that dark. We were soaked by the time we got to the turnstiles. And still the monorail wasn't running!!! We later found that after it had been stopped for the tornado sighting, lightning hit the track, so all cars were stopped...on all the loops!!!

Nope, the only weather related items thtat shut down the rails are huricane force winds and if a lightning to beam strike takes out an electrical component.

Yep. Monorail is shut down right now. We are trying to leave EPCOT and because of thunder storm, it isn’t running. 10:40 pm. Everyone on the that came using TCC was sent to bus 8. Several hundred ppl waiting for the bus. Sadly MK closes at 11pm tonight, so not many extra busses to come to the rescue. But the cast members are always awesome and ready to help and keeping us safe.

Attachments

• 325503BA-36A8-4324-A945-4DCE42A978E1.jpeg
    325503BA-36A8-4324-A945-4DCE42A978E1.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 278A3B47-8E77-439C-B4DF-F5522949B29E.jpeg
    278A3B47-8E77-439C-B4DF-F5522949B29E.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yep. Monorail is shut down right now. We are trying to leave EPCOT and because of thunder storm, it isn’t running. 10:40 pm. Everyone on the that came using TCC was sent to bus 8. Several hundred ppl waiting for the bus. Sadly MK closes at 11pm tonight, so not many extra busses to come to the rescue. But the cast members are always awesome and ready to help and keeping us safe.
Looks like a doozy!

Hope your wait wasn’t too bad,

Depending on how bad the storm is, yes. The monorail along with watercraft and skyliner all shutdown at times for weather. As much as everyone complains about the buses, they are the only mode of transportation that will continue running.

it was amazing to see how fast the busses came and took us to the TCC since the monorail couldn’t. The cast members were awesome explaining the process.

Monorail does not shut down with threat of lightening bur if lightening hits one of the transponders it will shut down. Couple weeks ago we got stuck on the Monorail due to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter