Does this bug anybody else about Carousel of Progress

THIS. The dog that NEVER AGES was what got me most. I had my boyfriend cracking up because I couldn't let it go. It didn't necessarily bother me as much as it perplexed me. I'll never get over it.

So, actually, it's not a continuous timeline. It's the same family as if they lived in each time period, at the same (general) age. They do not grow up based on the previous era. Dad is always just dad. The kids ages do seem to very a bit, but it doesn't mean that the daughter aged the exact amount between scenes. She'd be the grandmother in the finale if she did!

THIS. The dog that NEVER AGES was what got me most. I had my boyfriend cracking up because I couldn't let it go. It didn't necessarily bother me as much as it perplexed me. I'll never get over it.

I don't understand. Why would the dog age? This is the same family depicted in different time periods, not one family traveling continuously through their lives. If that were the case, that would be pretty creepy in the last scene for all of them to look so young. I'm not sure about the logic behind thinking the dog should age.

I don't understand. Why would the dog age? This is the same family depicted in different time periods, not one family traveling continuously through their lives. If that were the case, that would be pretty creepy in the last scene for all of them to look so young. I'm not sure about the logic behind thinking the dog should age.

Mostly because the family does age (while not linear) the parents start to get grey hair etc. It would have made more sense back when the jumps were 10ish years to not look too different between the jumps but now they are such small jumps across a hundred years that it is just said it is different families.

In a previous iteration of the ride at MK they did have a different name for the family dog in each scene. It was like the dog was the only "family member" who aged and died at a normal pace as time progressed, while the humans themselves aged much more slowly over the course of a century.

Just accept CoP for it for what it is; a wonderful nostalgic attraction. If it is not your cup of tea, it's all good, just avoid it. Like Astro Orbiter, CoP is a part of Disney park history. It's really okay if some things stay the same.

Well what I don't understand is why some people need to come on these boards and be so snarky to someone who clearly just got a really good laugh out of something. And as the other poster said, the family does age to an extent so it would make sense to have the dog "age." Just because your logic doesn't match up with mine doesn't make it any better. Have a magical day!

I'd like to see the original ending and when swinging around to the exit "position", have some sort of projection something with a short about what the original ending got right, or a montage of new technology, etc. It's shouldn't be that hard to preserve the original (call me a nerd, but I love seeing how we live today through the eyes of the past) and still tie in current events appropriately
This kinda reminds me of Back to the Future Part 2 (oops sorry that's Universal!), which took place in the year 2015. I saw this montage about what BTTF got right about 2015, and what they were off on (which was quite a bit).

.....but my favorite part is when Dad burns up the oven!
For some reason I find the grandma in the virtual reality head gear cringe worthy. I don't know why either as there is nothing wrong with an older person doing this :confused3 Lol maybe the corniness of it, who knows :rotfl:

I haven't been on COP in several years so may be completely off on this--but isn't it a different dog in each scene? Same breed dog throughout, but I though he called the dog by a different name in each scene? Seems I remember Rover, Queenie, and Sport. Of course that doesn't fit with the rest of the family who I assume are the same people, just depicted at different times in history. Never thought I'd delve this deep into COP lol :scratchin

I haven't been on COP in several years so may be completely off on this--but isn't it a different dog in each scene? Same breed dog throughout, but I though he called the dog by a different name in each scene? Seems I remember Rover, Queenie, and Sport. Of course that doesn't fit with the rest of the family who I assume are the same people, just depicted at different times in history. Never thought I'd delve this deep into COP lol :scratchin

I believe they changed the script at one point to the dog having different names but I only started going to Disney in "recent" Disney history as in the past 10 years and I only remember Rover as the name.

What always bugged me is the 1940's scene, when Dad says "everything is better than ever now." I mean, historically, wouldn't they have just gotten through the Great Depression and WWII?

I believe they changed the script at one point to the dog having different names but I only started going to Disney in "recent" Disney history as in the past 10 years and I only remember Rover as the name.
Like I said, I haven't been on that ride in a good while, so there you go...one dog named Rover :dog2:

What always bugged me is the 1940's scene, when Dad says "everything is better than ever now." I mean, historically, wouldn't they have just gotten through the Great Depression and WWII?

Well, then he's got extra reason to be optimistic! It's all uphill after war and economic collapse. :thumbsup2

That's one of the reasons FOR that line.
Things WERE considered "better than ever," after WWII.

And, lots of new devices and conveniences coming to the home after the years of conserving for the war effort.

That doesn't bother me *nearly* as much as the people who rush to the front then spend the whole time playing on their bright-*** phones.
OMG, until I read this comment I hadn't even thought of it, but you're right. I've been to CoP once, last April, and I enjoyed it, but I had forgotten that this happened! I was irritated by it at the time!
If you want to play on your phone...get in the back! I want to watch hokey animatronics in outdated scenes singing a catchy song! LOL!

Love CoP. <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter