Does this bug anybody else about Carousel of Progress

Best Time of Your Life was used for a time in the MK show when it first moved from Disneyland, but it has been There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow for some time now. The Sherman Brothers wrote both songs, but preferred There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow and it was restored.

Ahhh, thank you! I always wondered (but not enough to check it out) why I remembered that song with COP! I remember the best time of your life song. I actually always expect to hear that song and then wondered why I was wrong and remembered it that way.....mystery solved.

I think WDW needs to decide what it wants COP to be. If it wants to be an historical attraction that represents old Disney, then they should restore the old scene to it's original state, and keep it as an original nostalgia attraction. If they want it to be what it was intended to be, showing our recent past and progresses to tomorrow, then they need to change it. I would like to keep the 1900s scene, add one for the 1950s, one for the 2000s, and one 'future' speculative scene. Right now, it's trying to do both, and it is suffering for it.

The most recent scene is definitely my least favorite, it should just end in the 60's maybe. We really don't need a current scene, we know what it's like now!

That is my thought. Why not go back to the original version from the Worlds Fair? But then again they would have to change a few other things. The original version had nothing to do with holidays (except the Christmas). Actually it just went by seasons, not holidays. I know, I went the Worlds Fair and saw this show numerous times.

Love CoP, but do not see WDW continuing to invest in the attraction given its low patronage.

I hope CoP stays and does not Change. It's nice to have a historical, original Thing at WDW that doesn't scream Merchandising.. and my DD who is 10 loves this ride.. She can ride it over and over.. She likes looking at the detaisl and the song we sing together.. yes we are a wierd Family.

Instead of ending the ride looking at a curtain, couldn't they add a fifth scene with the narrator pointing out all new technology? If so, the fourth scene could go back to the sixties.

Last edited:
Instead of ending the ride looking at a curtain, couldn't they add a fifth scene with the narrator pointing out all new technology? If so, the fourth scene could go back to the sixties.

That could be problematic, as the operation of the ride relies on the audience leaving during that 5th scene, in order for the empty theater section to move into loading position on the next revolution. There is only a finite period of time during each stop, and I would imagine it would not be possible to have a scene, and still have the time for the audience to unload.

That could be problematic, as the operation of the ride relies on the audience leaving during that 5th scene, in order for the empty theater section to move into loading position on the next revolution. There is only a finite period of time during each stop, and I would imagine it would not be possible to have a scene, and still have the time for the audience to unload.

While what you say is true enough, they COULD use the "next" rotation (the "boarding" stop) to both unload and load the theater.

The length of time to do both would be cut in half, but they could limit the maximum number of guests allowed to safely board (wheelchairs included) to fit the time.

The gap doesn't bother me as much as:
  1. The daughter looks so much older in the last room.
  2. There's a noticeable different in the volume in some of the voices in the last room.
  3. The last room's tv speakers look stupid.
  4. The VR game is very low def.

While what you say is true enough, they COULD use the "next" rotation (the "boarding" stop) to both unload and load the theater.

The length of time to do both would be cut in half, but they could limit the maximum number of guests allowed to safely board (wheelchairs included) to fit the time.

I suppose if they converted then platform to have entrance from the left door, and exit from the right door only, that could work.

I suppose if they converted then platform to have entrance from the left door, and exit from the right door only, that could work.

Yup.

In the ORIGINAL attraction (New York and Disneyland) that last stop (exit position) allowed guests
to get up and exit FORWARD and into/under the stage area. The next "room" guests entered contained
the "City of the Future" miniature animated set. There was another "scene" there where
the voices of the husband and wife from the CoP show continued to describe the new possibilities of the exciting future, "Just a Dream Away!"

That miniature city is NOW the one that guests ride past near the start of TTA/PeopleMover ride.
Some say that it is an early version of what Walt Disney was calling EPCOT when he was first
imagining it as an Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow.

So take this with a grain of salt....Wikipedia states the following: After he is done showing off the new technology he calls to his wife, Sarah, who is ironing in the room to his left with their young daughter.

I've said this before but, it's the "Carousel Of Progress", not the "Progressing Carousel".

It doesn't need to keep updating.

There are so many things that bother me more haha. The daughter that disappears. The dog that never ages. The gap is just a product of the fact they keep wanting to update the end instead of just keeping the ride as is. Heck they could keep the song and ride and just shift the periods in the next update. Shove an extra scene or two in there if they can manage but then it isn't the original CoP so then what's the point of even keeping it.

THIS. The dog that NEVER AGES was what got me most. I had my boyfriend cracking up because I couldn't let it go. It didn't necessarily bother me as much as it perplexed me. I'll never get over it.

Nothing bothers me more than the son's rugby shirt in the "current" scene! o_O That said, we love this ride.

THIS. The dog that NEVER AGES was what got me most. I had my boyfriend cracking up because I couldn't let it go. It didn't necessarily bother me as much as it perplexed me. I'll never get over it.

I joke that the family was really stuck on that breed and name so it is like college sports dog mascots where you just get Rover X after awhile haha.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter