Does SkyWay Bridge make you nervous?

DL1WDW2

DIS Veteran
I think about this whenever I see a crowd for fireworks view from Contemporary/BLT on the Skyway Bridge
Recent July 4

22D7B6E5-3759-48EE-A28E-A67AB3F1373F.png
The recent collapse of Condos in Miami, so recent in the news ,but also this from my hometown memory for today history news…
Kansas City60F01DF5-B045-4092-9F70-2F181D222954.png

I guess the Skyway Bridge is safe…right?

I’m not afraid of heights… but I do get nervous whenever the SkyLiner makes that turn angle over the Speedway Gasoline Station… along Buena Vista Drive … seems kinda like an obvious place for a bad incident if somebody wanted to be evil. Tell me I am wrong and Disney knows what they are doing?

Anything else that makes you nervous that I should be aware of?
Alligators across street on Golf Course in front of my condo in Celebration… and rabid raccoons living in the dumpster…
Whatsin your neighborhood?DF2F8645-43D8-4FCE-A2A5-42AE67BA635C.png

Last edited:
I would assume given the amount of "eyes" watching across Disney property that structural integrity and structural security are paramount and under virtually constant surveillance.

I wouldn't worry about the structural integrity of anything at Disney World. The amount of money and attention they spend on architecture and design is not normal, and normal buildings don't collapse.
I need a little more convincing,cause recent SkyLiner incidents … fortunately My thoughts barely last long enough to register permanently. Just part of the adventure…

I would assume given the amount of "eyes" watching across Disney property that structural integrity and structural security are paramount and under virtually constant surveillance.
I have noticed that Disney Security will alert and halt transportation briefly whenever their is an emergency and police or fire are necessary.
I I assume they verify it is safe across the entire property and not a distraction for something worse … so I never worry about delays when on transportation , honestly… actually kinda enjoyed this sitting patiently on watercraft in front of MK listening to sirens and boat captain explained the halt in movement for the boat… it was a nice day for a boat ride!

But it does get really windy on that Skyway Bridge… then again I am usually having way too much fun watching the storms and thunder and lightning in the area recently…

Alligators across street on Golf Course in front of my condo in Celebration…
df2f8645-43d8-4fce-a2a5-42ae67ba635c-png.590316
OMG!!! :earseek: :eek: My sister wants to eventually relocate to Florida, and THIS is exactly the reason why she won't live anywhere near a body of water - a definite deal-breaker for her.

The Skyway bridge doesn't bother me, there's enough structure around you to take away the height issue. My "*** clencher" is the Harry Nice bridge on MD 301 that crosses the Potomac. It's high and very narrow with Jersey walls between the travel portion of the road and the edge. It's not so bad in a car, but in the RV, which is basically a bus, the mirrors get awful close to passing semis.
We live in central Florida too, on a lake. There's alligators out back as well as one or two in the drainage ponds in the development. I'm not worried about them as they don't mess with you if you don't mess with them. They become problems when people feed them. Then they lose their natural fear of humans.

The Skyway bridge is a concrete walkway securely anchored to the ground. To me it is more of an elevated concrete walkway connecting Bay Lake Tower to the Contemporary. It isn't any kind of 'suspension' bridge like the type that collapsed in that 1981 Kansas City accident. As I recall, that one was a poorly designed suspended walkway, was overloaded and never designed to handle the number of people who were on it along with them dancing to music.

As far as I know, investigation into the cause of that recent condo collapse in Florida is still ongoing. I don't really see it related to what happened in Kansas City.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter