Does anyone still feel sad that Disney removed Tower of Terror?

We lost Big Thunder Ranch My friends and family had a few great times at the BBQ.

I'm still hoping the new hotel will have an old school Hollywood theme. Tower of Terror minus the terror
Circle D Ranch, which had been at DLR before Disneyland opened, was taken out for star wars land.
:( That makes me very upset and angry too. Along with the loss of big thunder ranch. You suck disney for this and the ToT's re-theming.
Hello other things to do in so cal! :)

My 5 and 3 year old were both tall enough to ride it last time we were there and they loved it. They both said it was their favorite ride. I personally have zero interest in anything Marvel OR Star Wars so the positive here is that I hope others are willing to stand in line for 4 hours to ride GOTG/Star Wars when the time comes and leave everything else for us.

Totally agree about not caring about gotg and swl. :)

My SIL along with 4 grandkids rode GOT Sunday evening and had a 70 minute wait time. Loved every minute and it soon became their favorite Disney ride. Definitely agreed with a previous poster that it far surpasses TOT in effects and theming.

Having rode it 7 times over the weekend (and still only having seen 4 of the 6 versions)... not even a little sad. New ride is great, and I can still ride ToT in Orlando. While I'm happy that both versions still exist right now, allowing me (as a traveler) to have my cake and eat it too... If I put them both on a scale... Guardians is the superior of the two. It's ToT cranked up to an 11, and injected with rock music, humor, easter eggs for Disney and Marvel nerds alike (of which I'm both) and just way more fun.

Keep in mind I love ToT and have no problem with that ride whatsoever. But... GotG puts it to shame by comparison.

As I said... I'm happy both versions still exist somewhere. If they ever shut down ToT in Orlando, I might feel a little more bad about it. But for the moment... I can't say an unkind word about the new ride, and I'm perfectly happy both versions exist.

Even if they replaced the Orlando version (which doesn't seem likely given the Marvel legal mumbo jumbo)... while I'd be upset Tower was gone... I'd likely get over it. As I'd be thrilled to ride Guardians there too.

The ToT theming scared my kids (me too) but DS loved the new GOTG and it's probably his favorite ride now. I'm still trying to convince DD to try it (she's still convinced there's "terror" somewhere still in that tower. LOL), but I have hope she will now that the theme is different. Neither of them have any clue about the comic or the movie, but we're all happy to see the old theme go.

My daughter had a complete meltdown in the queue for ToT last year and has categorically refused to go on it. I think the name had something to do with it, as well as the fact that we did go on it in Orlando and it really scared her. But, having seen the GotG movies, she's more amenable to it and intends to ride when we're there mid-June. It is entirely likely, however, that she and I will be "one and done" with it - neither of us is a fan of droppy rides, in general. I won't even do Jumpin' Jellyfish.

I enjoyed ToT thoroughly, and I would have continued to enjoy it, and I think Guardians of the Galaxy is a great evolution of this attraction. I've ridden it a couple of times, and just the one song "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." It's got a fun story line, with really good repeatability factor. I'm looking forward to going on it again.

TOT was my favorite ride, so it will be missed, but I love GoG and am excited to see the new overlay!

I personally disliked the GOTG movie and was absolutely appalled when I heard they were turning one of my favorite rides, the TOT into a GOTG ride. However after having seen the footage of the actual GOTG ride on Youtube I am please to see that the layout of the ride is actually very similar to TOT. The queue lines look the same with only some new features to it which actually look pretty cool, and the ride itself is still the awesome dropping elevator with some new GOTG visuals. I know that the TOT was getting a bit out dated, and it was probably in the best interest that Disney updated the ride for a newer generation. I can definitely live with this change in ride and I am very excited to be giving it a go next year when I make it back there.

I was nervous about how the ride would go, and would I miss TOT? Well, first, TOT could not continue. The lost rights to the Twilight Zone franchise took care of that. GOTG was better than I expected, by a LONG shot. Very impressed.

You know I have the same feeling. Things will always change but you could always be surprised by how much you like something. There will always be good features to like about things if you really want to find them.

Sure, I'm sad that ToT went to Yesterland, it was our favourite DCA ride. But then I'm still mourning the Peoplemover and Adventure Through Inner Space.

Haven't ridden GotG yet. And I'm forcing myself not to watch videos until I can.

I went to the opening of Pandora - The World of Avatar and had lunch with Joe Rohde, the Imagineer in charge of Guardians. I asked him about changing TOT and his response was interesting. He said he never, ever, felt that TOT was a classic at DCA because it hadn't been around long enough. The show was not great, very slow moving at the start and that the butt air-time lacked. He was super stoked (as he should be) on Guardians and the story line. He was especially stoked on the amount of butt air-time you get now. Funny enough, Guardians seems longer but it's the exact same ride time. You're just doing more up and down than sitting and watching.

However you feel about it, there's always a TOT in Florida and it's not going anywhere for a long time...and my personal opinion is that the one in WDW is much better anyway.

I went to the opening of Pandora - The World of Avatar and had lunch with Joe Rohde, the Imagineer in charge of Guardians. I asked him about changing TOT and his response was interesting. He said he never, ever, felt that TOT was a classic at DCA because it hadn't been around long enough. The show was not great, very slow moving at the start and that the butt air-time lacked. He was super stoked (as he should be) on Guardians and the story line. He was especially stoked on the amount of butt air-time you get now. Funny enough, Guardians seems longer but it's the exact same ride time. You're just doing more up and down than sitting and watching.

However you feel about it, there's always a TOT in Florida and it's not going anywhere for a long time...and my personal opinion is that the one in WDW is much better anyway.

I am posting this as I'm sitting in the park having just come off my first go on the Guardians ride. Tower of Terror has been my favorite Disney ride since I can remember -- I'm a thrill ride person and grew up not far from Orlando and it was the only reason to visit Hollywood Studios (then MGM) from my perspective. So I was a little sentimental when I heard it was going.

Guardians ride blows it out of the water. It's so much more fun -- "more time riding, less time sitting and watching" is a great description. Also, I care so little about Marvel/GOTG theming that I haven't even seen the movie the ride is based on, and I *still* think the new music and theming ramps up the fun factor exponentially.

That said, for those who are less thrill-inclined and only tolerated/did not enjoy the drops, the new ride will be more off-putting. The one member of our party in that category was NOT a happy camper (the rest of us were all jumping up and down wondering how quickly we could go again).

I said it will cost Disney money to restore the theme to the Tower of Terror. It is possible. Soarin on the other hand is easy to change. They could have a different scenes everytime you ride if they wanted.

Oh, I see.

what??!!!

Edited to Add: NM! I saw this come up as a thread suggestion and didn't realize I was in the DCA thread.

Last edited:
The videos of this ride make it seem way better than ToT. Need to go back to DL to ride this. Wasn't impressed with the DL version of ToT after riding the superior DW version many times prior.

This would also be a good question to revisit many years down the road when (presumably) the Tower is just one part of Marvel Land, instead of standing on it's own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter