• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone still feel sad that Disney removed Tower of Terror?

Oh and not to mention that I find the new GotG exterior to be very ugly in person.... was just there this past weekend and the exterior is completely done and... It is gaudy :crazy2: I can't erase the image of ToT to me it still looks like ToT with some weird pipes glued on.

I found it awful too. Going by the commercial that is, it looks bulky and doesn't seem to fit.

I like the theming of TofT in WDW better anyway. Just another reason to plan a trip to Florida!

I have never been fortunate to go to WDW... yet.
But I hear that the TOT is much bigger at WDW and the DCA one is smaller. Is this true?
Is it a similar ride inside? Like does it have the creepy mirror effect?

Tower of Terror is based on an existing property that Disney does not own. CBS Studios owns it and Disney has been paying them to use it.

No matter what happened with Disney's Marvel properties, it is clear that they were unwilling to continue paying to use a property so the Tower of Terror was doomed to go away.

While it is clear that you are not a fan of the Marvel movies, they are extremely popular and ridiculously lucrative to Disney.

Disney still pays CBS studios for the WDW TOT ride. And now Fox Studios for Avatar Land. So Disney is not broke. They could still have TOT around.

I have never been fortunate to go to WDW... yet.
But I hear that the TOT is much bigger at WDW and the DCA one is smaller. Is this true?
Is it a similar ride inside? Like does it have the creepy mirror effect?

It's a much longer ride at WDW with a more elaborate storyline. After getting on the elevator the entire ride vehicle actually exits the elevator shaft and moves around on one of the hotel floors with additional storyline being played out. You then re-enter the elevator shaft for the ride's up and down sequences.

Disney still pays CBS studios for the WDW TOT ride. And now Fox Studios for Avatar Land. So Disney is not broke. They could still have TOT around.

Well, yeah of course they could still have ToT in DCA but the point is not that they are financially unable to. The point is that they were unwilling to either continue to pay for a property they do not own or they were unwilling to not capitalize on part of a franchise the do own...or more likely both.

It is quite clear that DL has decided that there is going t be a strong Marvel presence in DCA and no amount of complaining or protesting or mourning the decision on our part is going to change that.

I guess I just don't get the level of angst surrounding this.

I mean, it's not like they are closing Space Mountain or turning Splash into a Water World themed ride!

I honestly don't care one way or the other. However, if you look on some other Disney type boards or even on You Tube, some people have lost their minds over the change. I liked the interior of ToT but hated the actual ride. I have only seen pictures of the GoG:MB re-skin and it definitely seems out of place. However, the entire "Hollywood" area of DCA is in desperate need of a re-do, it is a pretty large waste of space for the most part. I think a Marvel Land would be a good idea, it would pull more people back into that area of the park. And, yes, I know, it won't be "California" themed but oh well, things change.

It would fit in a way. Vintage Hollywood is a kind of what Main Street goes for, and hero or monster movies- clark Kent, batman, Godzilla- all very vintage Hollywood.

I think WDWs version is much better ride wise. If they just did the skin and didn't alter the ride (which is what I suspect) I think it would be lame. I think it's less about getting rid of twilight zone theme and more about cashing in on gotg. Who has seen song of the south or even, at this point, Indiana jones?

I do find it odd they chose guardians...I would have thought it was less popular than something like tangled or moana.

I loved ToT!! I remember going on it for the first time when I was like 9 or 10 and falling immediately in love with it! The old time Hollywood theme was literally my favorite....and I loved the ToT movie and I was raised on black and whites lol so I also knew twilight zone! I personally am sad to see it go...I am just not a fan of marvel and That sort of stuff in not my cup of tea. I like Disney!

I know when Star Wars land was first announced I really felt that it was so out of place for Disneyland and that it would be a better fit in DCA, but now that construction is well underway I am actually really excited for it! I think it will be great! But, we didn't have to lose something to get Star Wars land like we did with GotG...
We lost Big Thunder Ranch My friends and family had a few great times at the BBQ.

I'm still hoping the new hotel will have an old school Hollywood theme. Tower of Terror minus the terror

We lost Big Thunder Ranch My friends and family had a few great times at the BBQ.

I'm still hoping the new hotel will have an old school Hollywood theme. Tower of Terror minus the terror

I am upset about the lost of BTR BBQ. I never got to go there. :( Do they not have other restaurants like BTR BBQ?
Is Star Wars Land taking up that space? Is that why it closed?

I think it's atrocious. I've been in the room 4 times with GotG on, and it's utterly atrocious. If Pratt puts on a little weight again then maybe I'd look at the screen (Anna Faris and I agree on how he looks better), but I'm still just NOT interested in any of the other characters whatsoever. And having my son listen to the soundtrack umpteen million times has absolutely erased MY memories of my childhood hearing those songs ("childhood" being defined loosely since my main memory of Hooked on a Feeling is from Tarantino) and has thereby ruined those songs.

I did really enjoy the Twilight Zone theme, but kids just don't know what that is anymore. I'm 45 and only saw the show on re-runs.

Any kid who has been on that ride and has even vaguely talkative/interested/invested-in-the-kid's-knowledge-of-the-world parents should now know what Twilight Zone was.

It's my belief that DCA is headed for a name change sometime in the next few years!

After redoing their whole entrance to look just like Universal Orlando's Port of Entry in IOA noooooo, I mean old Hollywood?

Agree that kids don't know what it is anymore. But that never bothered my kids ... they thought it was cool anyway and actually started watching some of the old Twilight Zone reruns because of it. And of course they watched the ToT movie.

Sounds like YOUR kids know what it is, specifcally because of the ride. Therefore kids DO know what it is.

We have times with our son that started off as "music-ation" aka musical education. This has expanded to movies and TV shows. Not just that we grew up with, but the stuff we grew up hearing about and being shown by OUR parents. Since DH's dad was born in 1927, and my parents were born in the 40s, that encompasses quite a lot! Twilight Zone is just another part of his education.

I guess I just don't get the level of angst surrounding this.

It sucks. They took a good ride with a good theme and they've turned it into nonsense based on a movie that I feel is just trash. Recipe for angst.

Someone give Chris Pratt some cookies so maybe I can be interested in watching him (he's not the best actor, after all, at least not in JW!) for longer than 30 seconds... ;)

I'm still sad. It isn't likely that I will go to Florida to ride TOT. I just don't like flying across the country enough to do that.
I have zero interest in Marvel or Star Wars, but I know those things will bring in lots of people who normally don't do Disneyland and Disney only cares about that. I have found the movie, Guardians of the Galaxy to cure my insomnia. I slept through it twice.

DCA has changed so many times since it opened. Most of the time, it has changed for the better, but I miss seeing the Golden Gate Bridge when I enter, will forever miss Soarin over California and will always miss TOT. They are definitely removing California from DCA. Not sure where they are going with this, but it is a good place to get drunk now.

I think it's atrocious. I've been in the room 4 times with GotG on, and it's utterly atrocious. If Pratt puts on a little weight again then maybe I'd look at the screen (Anna Faris and I agree on how he looks better), but I'm still just NOT interested in any of the other characters whatsoever. And having my son listen to the soundtrack umpteen million times has absolutely erased MY memories of my childhood hearing those songs ("childhood" being defined loosely since my main memory of Hooked on a Feeling is from Tarantino) and has thereby ruined those songs.

Any kid who has been on that ride and has even vaguely talkative/interested/invested-in-the-kid's-knowledge-of-the-world parents should now know what Twilight Zone was.

After redoing their whole entrance to look just like Universal Orlando's Port of Entry in IOA noooooo, I mean old Hollywood?

Sounds like YOUR kids know what it is, specifcally because of the ride. Therefore kids DO know what it is.

We have times with our son that started off as "music-ation" aka musical education. This has expanded to movies and TV shows. Not just that we grew up with, but the stuff we grew up hearing about and being shown by OUR parents. Since DH's dad was born in 1927, and my parents were born in the 40s, that encompasses quite a lot! Twilight Zone is just another part of his education.

It sucks. They took a good ride with a good theme and they've turned it into nonsense based on a movie that I feel is just trash. Recipe for angst.

Someone give Chris Pratt some cookies so maybe I can be interested in watching him (he's not the best actor, after all, at least not in JW!) for longer than 30 seconds... ;)

I liked the movie (and I'm old), in fact I just watched it again last night. My teen kids loved the movie and can't wait for the new one. Having said that, it is a bit of an odd choice to kick off what will be "Marvel Land" (yeah, I know it hasn't been officially announced but we all see the writing on the wall).

In the case of this ride/movie, I think the old saying about how you can't please all of the people... is appropriate here. Whether a movie is "trash" or "great" is based on nothing more than subjective opinion. I have no doubt that lines for this "new" ride will be very, very long. And, all the AP holders out there trashing it will probably be the first ones in line.

It is HORRIBLE. The attraction could be the best thing ever and it still would be hideous and out of place. I'd rather they tore it down.

OH my gosh you are so right! How did I forget about the Big Thunder Ranch?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter