Does anyone own a foodsaver (Vacuum sealer)

binny

do something that MATTERS!
Ive really been considering buying one of the Food savers
(Vacuums) Like the ones they show on TV and was wondering if anyone here had one and if they atcually used it.

DH says its just one more thing lol but I have an idea it would relaly help cut down on the food bill by not throwing as much stuff away,

Opinions please?

My sister owns the one you see on tv and totally loves it!! You can also get them at BJ's or Sam's for a fraction of the cost.

I have one of the older Food Saver machines. Still works great! It's a great investment!

Colleen

Thanks! does yours have the jar adapter? or is that something you think you would use?

Im trying to find one used or an ebay but theyre still really expensive! :ee: I saw one at Costco and dh still wasnt convinced lol. I promised him I would try to find one used. lol

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I got sick of throwing celery, radishes, lettuce away, and stuff that got freezer burned. I think you would like it.

I love mine! I do a lot of cooking (once a month type) and freezing. Nothing has ever gone bad! When there is a good sale on meat I buy large quanities and freeze in food saver bags. I use the heat sealer for chips...really makes a difference!

I don't have the jar sealer sorry to say.

TK

We got one in Dec., but I have not tried it out yet. It's still in the box!! I'm hoping to actually use it soon!!

Krista

My mom bought us one for Christmas a couple years ago. I'm sure it has paid for itself. Use it all the time for freezing meat.

Do you have to use special bags for the food saver?

If so, where do you buy the bags, do they come in different sizes and how much do they cost?

You have to use the special bags. Target has them for $9.99 a box or roll but I don't know how many or the length. Sam's also has an assortment of bags for $26.00 but I don't know the sizes.
Walmart also carries them.

DH has been bugging me to get one. Can you use them as boil in bags? For example if you freeze spaghetti sauce can you drop the bag in boiling water? Has anyone tried freezing something like lasagna in them?

Dox thats one of my biggest selling points!! lol

Im trying to convince dh that since you CAN use them for boil in the bag meals he can take them on the road with him to his hotels. Keep your fingers crossed ;)

We've had ours for about a year. It really helps when you want to buy bulk of certain meats, etc. at Costco. You can divide it up and freeze.

It also does keep produce longer. We have the jar adapter and use mason jars with it.

You can buy the bag material in rolls and make your own custom sized bags. They have them in bulk at Costco, too.

I got my Dad one a few years ago for Christmas at Sams. He used to be a meat cutter so he is constantly buying things like whole chickens or whole pork tenderloins when they are on sale. He then bones out the chickes and makes butterfly pork chops out of the tenderloins and freezes them. They last much longer and stay much fresher.

I have one and I love it. Yes, you can use the bags for boil in bags. I use mine for some non food stuff too. After our last Disney trips (when we had to buy ponchos thanks to a deluge of rain) we put our ponchos in a bag and sealed them up. They now take up hardly any space in my Disney pile at all!!

Erika

Will it work with potato chips, nachos, fritos, etc.? We throw away a LOT of chips because no one will touch them after the first day.

yep it works great for chips and such from what I understand :)

The chips will have to be in a jar if you want to remove the air-- but if you just want to reseal them without removing the air-- it will work.

My BIL got one for Christmas, and it is used after holidays for meat storage. Like those 25 pound turkeys, and 18 pound roasts...

I don't think it would do well for our family since when I get home from the store from buying my quantity packs, I individually pack them right then.

We also don't eat a lot of meat either. We are definetely leaning toward becoming a vegeterian family.

I think if it was a gift, I would use it. But for everyday use, It probably wouldn't get used as much.

I have seen them in thrift stores/resale stores, and believe it or not garage sales.

I just had to reply to the potato chips one, just make sure you just seal the bag with those, and not vacuum it.
I did vacuum it the first time, and ended it with a fine chip powder;)
Otherwise it is great, we camp, and I can't wait to use it for camping, we can marinate steaks, freeze in the bags, and then just put them in the cooler, no more mess...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter