Does anyone know if some restaurants will have low-carb "rice" as a substitution?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
I started low-carb last week and I am doing amazingly well. I have combined it with intermittent fasting, and I can't believe the difference I feel after just 1 week. I am going to WDW in April, my plan is to be 15 pounds lighter. I want to really, really really try to stay on low carb while I am there. I can just eat the meat and veggies, and skip the starch side, but if they have cauliflower rice or broccoli rice I would ask for that. I know they are not listed on any menus, but Disney is famous for being able to accommodate food requests.

Anyone have experience with this?

We do low carb...well did before Covid (need to get back on track) and never noticed any options like that at Disney dining venues. We just get veges like salads or broccoli as our sides. We do wings and such. When we get things at F&W booths we eat around the carby stuff. But you can ask them to leave off the breads, tatoes, pasta and rice parts. Someone I know does that and then gets a little bigger portion of the rest.

And some of the festival booths do cauliflower rice or mash. And such. But regular restaurants not so much.

Just my opinion, but your are on a vacation that you have paid a lot of money for. Reward yourself for you accomplishments and just relax and enjoy yourself. :)

Just my opinion, but your are on a vacation that you have paid a lot of money for. Reward yourself for you accomplishments and just relax and enjoy yourself. :)

Part of going low carb and changing your lifestyle is to realize that food shouldn't necessarily be used as a reward though! The OP seems to be fine and intent on sticking to it, I think they should and it's actually really easy to do!

OP, I am Keto and I live here and go and eat at the parks all the time! Most will be accommodating as far as extra veggies, etc. and I just focus on a lot of meat and cheeses! Good luck, you can do this even on vacation!!!

I started low-carb last week and I am doing amazingly well. I have combined it with intermittent fasting, and I can't believe the difference I feel after just 1 week. I am going to WDW in April, my plan is to be 15 pounds lighter. I want to really, really really try to stay on low carb while I am there. I can just eat the meat and veggies, and skip the starch side, but if they have cauliflower rice or broccoli rice I would ask for that. I know they are not listed on any menus, but Disney is famous for being able to accommodate food requests.

Anyone have experience with this?

FWIW, the dinner skillets at Whispering Canyon are great for this! Just have them skip the carby things and send more of the rest. Great variety and really fills you up!

Of course, you can't go wrong with a steak or salmon at any of the signature restaurants.

I love the salmon at Grand Floridian Cafe, they will put it on more veggies in place of the rice!

Brown Derby has a fabulous Cobb Salad, and you can change out something if you have to/want to.

There are really so many options available!! Just can't do all the snacky things as much!

Part of going low carb and changing your lifestyle is to realize that food shouldn't necessarily be used as a reward though! The OP seems to be fine and intent on sticking to it, I think they should and it's actually really easy to do!

OP, I am Keto and I live here and go and eat at the parks all the time! Most will be accommodating as far as extra veggies, etc. and I just focus on a lot of meat and cheeses! Good luck, you can do this even on vacation!!!
Lot of good charcuterie at Disney.

Mea culpa. I should have said "Just my uniformed opinion" instead. :)

While at Disneyland, I found that doing Intermittent Fasting allows me to enjoy mid afternoon light lunch and dinner with a little higher carbs but still stay on track with energy and weight loss. Good luck to you. I will also be there in April doing the same thing!

I think one of the issues that folks who do not eat keto or low carb don't understand is that it isn't as simple as just eat the carbs you are on vacation. After you go without them for an extended period they can actually make you feel quite yucky when you do "splurge" and eat them and that is not a great way to feel on vacation. There are a lot of great options at Disney. There are a lot of places that you can get really good salads or protein and veg combos. I don't believe I have ever seen a place that has cauliflower rice as a carb alternative though.

I think one of the issues that folks who do not eat keto or low carb don't understand is that it isn't as simple as just eat the carbs you are on vacation. After you go without them for an extended period they can actually make you feel quite yucky when you do "splurge" and eat them and that is not a great way to feel on vacation. There are a lot of great options at Disney. There are a lot of places that you can get really good salads or protein and veg combos. I don't believe I have ever seen a place that has cauliflower rice as a carb alternative though.
I totally agree, and just returned from WDW. No cauliflower rice that I could find. Servers can replace the starch with veg if you ask.

and besides that removing an entire food group is not sustainable.Not interested in temporary success stories of only a few years,my poor sister has been through it all. Each one was the best,until it wasn't.

intermittent fasting is a positive change though and can be kept up at Disney.

and besides that removing an entire food group is not sustainable.Not interested in temporary success stories of only a few years,my poor sister has been through it all. Each one was the best,until it wasn't.

Not really trying to go down a rat-hole, but it is extremely possible to be low carb for life. I have been for about 5 years now (though I am one of the ones who DOES enjoy myself on vacation and go back to it afterwards). Anyone who wants to be successful with low carb needs to go into it understanding that it is a lifetime change and not a temporary crash diet. Sorry to hear about your sister, but that isn't the case for everyone.

Type 1 diabetic here. I generally eat low carb for medical reasons and have found Disney to be very accommodating with the veggie substitutions, but haven't found anything like cauliflower rice as an alternative. Also a big yes to the charcuterie boards!

Not really trying to go down a rat-hole, but it is extremely possible to be low carb for life. I have been for about 5 years now (though I am one of the ones who DOES enjoy myself on vacation and go back to it afterwards). Anyone who wants to be successful with low carb needs to go into it understanding that it is a lifetime change and not a temporary crash diet. Sorry to hear about your sister, but that isn't the case for everyone.

This, exactly! It is called low-carb, not zero carb. People should not be "removing an entire food group" from their diet. Every single person I know that has gone low-carb has been successful, because it became a lifestyle change. The people I know that went low-carb just to lose weight, and went back to eating carbs after they lost weight, gained it back. Also, people that have "cheat days" make no sense to me. Then they complain that the weight is not coming off as fast as they were told it would.

I tried keto, and that didn't work for me. I think it was a bit too strict. I bought Atkins book and I can't believe how much sense it makes. I also can't believe how easy it was to cut all the junk out that I was eating, once I made up my mind to do it.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I know there will be vegetables-O-plenty at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!