Does Anyone Else Get Panicky?

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
I'm reaching that stage where there's nearly less than 10 days left to go and I'm starting to panic.
What if our flight gets canceled, what if Disney has gone completely dumbed down and the whole cruise sucks, what if weather keeps the ship from sailing? And on and on it goes - does anybody else get like this right before a cruise?

I think it's worse then it used to be this year because the trip is 3 years in the making and because a successful holiday season is also rolled up into a successful cruise.

I always worry a little bit approaching the cruise for many of the same reasons you mentioned (even though we are driving distance). I will say, however, our last cruise was the worst yet. It was our first cruise since 2019. Everything went off w/o a hitch, DCL was still basically the same, and we had a great time - just like all the others. I would tell you to relax and not worry, but I know better. The good news is that in 11 days you're going to be having a blast! Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

Yup - my hubby a lot worse than me though. I don't worry about the cruise being fun/successful because no matter what I am not at work and I am on the sea! I think it would take a lot to have a bad cruise - some might be more fun than others but I can always find something to do and enjoy. I have a standard list that I keep so I make sure I don't forget to do anything before hand and don't forget to pack anything. I also have a wish list of things I'd like to do on that cruise - foods to try, drinks to taste, places to visit (included addresses and phone numbers for taxi drivers) and it makes me feel more organized and less stressed.

You will have a fantasic time and while Disney has a lot of faults lately it is still Disney the Happiest Place on Earth - and the minute you step foot in the port you will be smiling until the day you leave to go home.

Yup - my hubby a lot worse than me though. I don't worry about the cruise being fun/successful because no matter what I am not at work and I am on the sea! I think it would take a lot to have a bad cruise - some might be more fun than others but I can always find something to do and enjoy. I have a standard list that I keep so I make sure I don't forget to do anything before hand and don't forget to pack anything. I also have a wish list of things I'd like to do on that cruise - foods to try, drinks to taste, places to visit (included addresses and phone numbers for taxi drivers) and it makes me feel more organized and less stressed.

You will have a fantasic time and while Disney has a lot of faults lately it is still Disney the Happiest Place on Earth - and the minute you step foot in the port you will be smiling until the day you leave to go home.
This!
Seriously, the first day of a cruise when CMs ask me how are you? I reply, "Great! I'm not at work!!"
Being organized helps.
I keep a Word document named Cruise Packing since packing isn't the same as with a land trip. For any vacation, I keep a document called Getting Ready for Vacation which starts the weekend before we leave and lists what to do as it gets closer to our trip. I tweek this depending on whether our young adult kids come with us or not.
This is for stuff I do a few days prior such as setting up a timer for lights, printing out our complete itinerary for the kids, reconfirming dates with our neighbor who cat-sits, to things we do at the last minute: adjusting the thermostat, run the garbage disposal, take out all the trash, run the dishwasher, don't leave used grinds in the coffeepot, etc. At the bottom I list our flight time, what time we should arrive at the airport, and what time we should leave our house and with very last minute reminders such as double check we all have cell phones and chargers.
Any time we make a mistake, the correction gets added to the list. When we had a super early flight and dh forgot his cell phone, I added the last minute reminder to check for phones. When we left coffee grinds in the coffeepot for 10 days in summer and it got all full of mold when we returned, it went on the list.

I try to not to stress about things that are beyond my control. The weather and cruise will be whatever it will be. I can't change any of those things. Now if it's a big hurricane or winter storm heading our way, I need to pay attention to that but otherwise we just go with the flow. I've never had a BAD Disney cruise so I don't really consider it to be a likely possibility.

I am a worrier by nature too.

Flight getting cancelled is the easiest thing to plan for. Look at what other flights are available into MCO, Tampa and FLL from your airport so you are prepared to make a change if you need to. We also always make sure to book a flight early enough that we’d have time to drive it if was cancelled.

Pretty much the only time cruises get cancelled for weather is hurricane season. Which is not now. Only real weather risk in December is bad weather affecting flights, so having those backup plans is key.

I’ve never worried about the cruise experience. No such thing as a bad cruise on DCL—they do it right.

Now my only panic is always that I’m gonna forget the passports!

I don’t get panicked but I do get a bit antsy and like to keep on schedule (packing a few days ahead, leaving on time or even a bit early) and my husband likes to take his time and will wait til the last minute to pack his personal bag so we will bicker with each other without fail before most big trips, but that’s because he gets anxious too. One we get on the plane all is good!

Last edited:
Not at all because it's just the two of us, we don't work and we do multiple cruises a year. It becomes routine after a while. Same thing when going to WDW, been there done that.
It definitely became waaay easier once our kids were grown and we travelled without them. It’s a fraction of the packing and prepping it used to be. And costs less too!

Take a deep breath! Now, there are things to worry about and contingencies to plan for, and things completely outside of one's control. First have faith in DCL, the captain, cruise director and all other staff. You will have an exceptional time onboard. Second, if it makes you feel better (but only if) you can do things like view alternate travel arrangements, take pictures of passports, make packing lists, etc.

I'm reaching that stage where there's nearly less than 10 days left to go and I'm starting to panic.
What if our flight gets canceled, what if Disney has gone completely dumbed down and the whole cruise sucks, what if weather keeps the ship from sailing? And on and on it goes - does anybody else get like this right before a cruise?

I think it's worse then it used to be this year because the trip is 3 years in the making and because a successful holiday season is also rolled up into a successful cruise.
After cancelling our European Cruise in 2020 and 2021 I was a little anxious that it may not actually happen. It finally happened and everything went fine. I'm not sure the circumstances that led to the three years of planning was it Covid? I think after waiting that long it's kind of natural to worry that it may not go as planned.

The only thing I freak out about is our health! I want to make sure that everyone is healthy before we board or go anywhere, for that matter. Since the last cruise we took was in August, and we were still testing at that point, I was nervous for that. But definitely not for the cruise itself!

This!
Seriously, the first day of a cruise when CMs ask me how are you? I reply, "Great! I'm not at work!!"
Being organized helps.
I keep a Word document named Cruise Packing since packing isn't the same as with a land trip. For any vacation, I keep a document called Getting Ready for Vacation which starts the weekend before we leave and lists what to do as it gets closer to our trip. I tweek this depending on whether our young adult kids come with us or not.
This is for stuff I do a few days prior such as setting up a timer for lights, printing out our complete itinerary for the kids, reconfirming dates with our neighbor who cat-sits, to things we do at the last minute: adjusting the thermostat, run the garbage disposal, take out all the trash, run the dishwasher, don't leave used grinds in the coffeepot, etc. At the bottom I list our flight time, what time we should arrive at the airport, and what time we should leave our house and with very last minute reminders such as double check we all have cell phones and chargers.
Any time we make a mistake, the correction gets added to the list. When we had a super early flight and dh forgot his cell phone, I added the last minute reminder to check for phones. When we left coffee grinds in the coffeepot for 10 days in summer and it got all full of mold when we returned, it went on the list.

I try to not to stress about things that are beyond my control. The weather and cruise will be whatever it will be. I can't change any of those things. Now if it's a big hurricane or winter storm heading our way, I need to pay attention to that but otherwise we just go with the flow. I've never had a BAD Disney cruise so I don't really consider it to be a likely possibility.
I'm glad I''m not the only OCD one when it comes to this. I keep my travel get ready lists in One Note, Hubby's is in Excel since he know how to use that program. And I left coffee in my machine too - yup it is added to the list. :thumbsup2

I'm glad I''m not the only OCD one when it comes to this. I keep my travel get ready lists in One Note, Hubby's is in Excel since he know how to use that program. And I left coffee in my machine too - yup it is added to the list. :thumbsup2
Is this OCD? To me it just feels like being organized. Having it all on paper helps keep it from all just spinning in my head so it frees my mind.

Another one of our mistakes that we learned from was don't bother stopping on the way to the airport to eat with kids. They took an extra long time to eat which was stressful. Also they brought their cups from Wendy’s or whatever and was sipping some punch on the way to the airport and we didn't think to throw them out upon arrival. Well, the paper cups have a wax coating which only holds liquid for so long. After a week, the punch leaked out but luckily stayed in the cupholder. Still, a mess to return home to. Learned our lesson. After that we arrived earlier at the airport and eat near the gate. So much calmer knowing we are where we need to be and kids can eat as slow as they want.

Last edited:
Its important to leave your house in order. If all of us are leaving I’ll make a list check locks, take out trash, run garbage disposable, shock pool, turn up ac, run diswasher, and yes empty coffee pot. I don’t think that stuff is OCD I think it’s normal. Making lists of what you don’t want to forget is also normal.

That is all stuff you can control. Worrying about the stuff you can’t control is a waste of time.

I worry about getting sick before we go! So much so that I am happy if my daughter gets a cold 3 weeks before we go because then I know she won't be sick for the trip :D She's getting older now so it's not quite as common of an occurrence thankfully.

Is this OCD? To me it just feels like being organized. Having it all on paper helps keep it from all just spinning in my head so it frees me mind.

Another one of our mistakes that we learned from was don't bother stopping on the way to the airport to eat with kids. They took an extra long time to eat which was stressful. Also they brought their cups from Wendy’s or whatever and was sipping some punch on the way to the airport and we didn't think to throw them out upon arrival. Well, the paper cups have a wax coating which only holds liquid for so long. After a week, the punch leaked out but luckily stayed in the cupholder. Still, a mess to return home to. Learned our lesson. After that we arrived earlier at the airport and eat near the gate. So much calmer knowing we are where we need to be and kids can eat as slow as they want.
My friends tease my I'm over organized and OCD :earboy2:
But like my husband always tells me - we check this thing for a reason..... something happened in the past.

I tend to have dreams before international travel about not having our passports once we are already at the airport, but that is pretty much it... It "helps" to be such a bad flyer that all I really worry about prior is the plane staying in the sky. :rolleyes1

This is how 'put on deodorant' became part of my husband's "packing" list.

That's one of the things freaking me out right now - we're about to get a huge storm front coming through the country tomorrow. And I don't think it will directly affect San Diego or Arizona - but will it affect our flight?

I don't have a back up plan, I don't know what to do for a back up plan.

We got tickets for the Admiral's lounge to cover the eating and drinking situation for the before cruise leg of our journey. I'm wanting to get to the airport like 6 hours early...

Is this OCD? To me it just feels like being organized. Having it all on paper helps keep it from all just spinning in my head so it frees me mind.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter