Does anyone else get annoyed at people calling you "Honey" or "Babe"

rgf207

DIS Veteran
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. This has been happening more and more to me and I can't stand it.

For example, there is a Taco Bell in the area that I frequent. Everytime this woman hands me my order she always says, There you go "Sweetie" or there you go "Hon"

And just yesterday, I was ordering an iced at McDonalds and the woman called me "Babe"

This bothers me so much. I dont think anyone but my wife should call me that.

Does anyone else hate this?

I definitely notice it, but it doesn't get me all torqued up, honey! :rotfl:

Denae

It all depends on my mood. At times it is really annoying and other times I hardly notice.

Now listen here Sweetie...you need to chill out. :rotfl2:

Seriously, yes I get called those names a lot. There is only one person who does it that irks me and that's because I think there is more behind it then a general term of endearment. Otherwise, I don't let it bother me.

Now my Mom...oh goodness she hates it. And doesn't mince words telling anyone that who dares to call her that. So I'm sure they call her other names behind her back ;)

For example, there is a Taco Bell in the area that I frequent. Everytime this woman hands me my order she always says, There you go "Sweetie" or there you go "Hon"

Does anyone else hate this?

That is very condecending. When people do it to me I feel like they are talking down to me (even though that may not be their intention). Its like when African American men are called "boy". (back from the slave days). Its very insulting.

That is very condecending. When people do it to me I feel like they are talking down to me (even though that may not be their intention). Its like when African American men are called "boy". (back from the slave days). Its very insulting.

Hmmm, I have never thought of it as insulting.

I don't particularly like it, but I'd rather be called Honey than Maam.

I don't think it is the same thing at all. I am sure this will sound snotty, but it is TACO BELL. Pick up your chalupa and hit the road. I only consider it condescension when a person in a position of power uses language to belittle someone else. Someone who asks "You want hot or fire sauce, Honey?" is in no position of power over me, especially if I am the customer.

I don't think it is the same thing at all. I am sure this will sound snotty, but it is TACO BELL. Pick up your chalupa and hit the road. I only consider it condescension when a person in a position of power uses language to belittle someone else. Someone who asks "You want hot or fire sauce, Honey?" is in no position of power over me, especially if I am the customer.
I prefer Gorditas :)

Except for gross-looking guys calling it out on the street, I don't mind an occasional "honey" or "sweetie" appropriately thrown around. puckerup:

:teeth:

I have never had it done to me by a male only females and it doesn't bother me at all. I think it would be very disrespectful to my significant other if he were standing next to me and another man called me honey.
I would rather be called honey than someone giving me my food and not even caring about my presence.

And to the reference of calling someone boy. I am 35 and I always call my significant other a boy. I say "hello my boy" and "what a handsome boy". I am saying it in an endearing term not anything derogatory or disrespectful at all . I use the term boy because "man" sounds old and I like to think of myself as still young. lol

I have a student that comes in my office quite a bit and calls me baby or honey. Very irritating and I do feel talked down too. Now I have had some sweet, older women do it and it never bother me, so I guess it depends on the person.

Customer Service professionals ARE in a position of power which is why they THINK they can say to a customer. Whether it is intentional or not, there is an element of looking one's nose down when addressing a customer in this manner.

Checking in as someone who will admit that I have been known to call people honey or sweetie. It is truly not meant to be insulting at all. I know for me - I am just trying to be friendly.

I have never had someone tell me they were offended or insulted by it, but I after reading this - I will work very hard not to do it at all.

Customer Service professionals ARE in a position of power which is why they THINK they can say to a customer. Whether it is intentional or not, there is an element of looking one's nose down when addressing a customer in this manner.

Or maybe they think they're being nice?:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter