• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone else buy 'Special Kitty' Cat Litter from Walmart??

debden

DIS Veteran<br><font color=darkorchid>I have a nic
Gee I know how silly this post is going to seem to alot of people but I just have to post this so please bear with me.
I buy the 'Special Kitty' Cat Litter at Walmart.In the red bag.My cats loved it up until a couple of weeks ago when Walmart changed everything about it.
They not only changed the packaging but they changed the nice small clay kitty litter to big white stones!
Now my cats hate it.It was the only kitty litter I could buy that they liked.
So Walmart changed the product and made it worse! And they raised the price to boot.
Does anyone else out there use this kitty litter??Any suggestions for kitty litter with the small grey stones??
Debbie

I use the scoopable in the green box..it's just as good as Fresh Step and a lot less expensive..if you are just trying to get rid of what you have with 'stones' in it..you can use it in the bottom of potted plants for drainage..with springtime and flower planting time here for most of us..that's what I would do to just use it up!
a small rant about walmart here..they keep changing a lot of things..and not for the better..went to superwalmart yesterday with a long list..first thing on list was excedrin migraine pills..which I bought there last month..the shelf is empty..not one migraine product, not their brand, not anyone else's..and when asking a clerk she tried telling me they never carried it..got news for you lady, I bought a bottle of 100 a month ago!..they do that with too many things now..carry it, then when you get used to it..they stop carrying it!

Target has a generic brand that has small, gray stones. It's about $2.29 for a 20lb bag.

I buy the Cat's Pride litter (in the blue bag with an orange cat on it). It's about $4-5 for a 25lb bag. I think it has the best odor control that I've found for regular cat litter, even better than the more expensive stuff. The litter is not as dark in color as the Special Kitty, but it's the same size. My cats can be picky about their litter too but I have used the (old kind) Special Kitty red bag when Wal-Mart didn't have Cat's Pride in stock; and they were okay with it.

I've tried switching to the sandy type of scoopable and I've tried the cedar stuff, but they were not happy. It's not good when they decide they don't like the litter box, so I've learned my lesson.

Thanks everyone for your replies.I will certainly give all your suggestions a try.
I would think having kitty litter your cats like (i have 5) is very important.I don't want them finding another place to do their business...
Debbie

I am one that likes the old litter....this new "clay stuff" in the special kitty brand ...is for the birds.....sticks to the cats backside....they never seem to have any litter at our location....always out....but if they continue with the clay stuff I will have to look elsewhere cause I can't see the cat liking this....its very fine and dusty....and messy...
can't see it healthy for the cats lungs....all that dust

I like the grainy stuff that they have had in stock earlier this year and last....I would buy a few ....but they only seem to one or two boxes in stock.....lately since walmart opened 24 hours in some locations there has not been enough staff to get the stock out.....the shelves are always empty.....the line ups at the tills are annoying.....they need to start sending their bosses from head office from their desks to view whats happening in the stores and how they are managed.........and they need to start paying their staff better....then they would get people to work there......thanks for letting me sound off.....good topic if someone from Walmart would read it ...we would be in business..

I buy Tidy cat. It has fairly small stones and it seems to stay fresh smelling than any of the other kinds I have used before.

OP, thank you for asking the question. I have no answer for you, but am interested in what litter people like.

I don't think it was dumb. Even it was dumb, I'm glad you asked it.

I've been asking around about which is best, but all I hear is, "I get whatever is on sale" or "whatever I have a coupon for." I keep thinking one has to be better than another, but am so lost.

Especially since these kittens seem to think that the litter is there simply to be tossed out of the box :faint: , I want something they will like and works well enough that they feel their crap is covered well enough.

So, thanks!

I have always liked the special kitty brand or the Target brand over the "name" brands. It wasn't about the cost, I just thought they worked a little better at odor control. I have 2 cats and there are days where I miss a scoop. I buy the Target brand more often since I shop there more than Walmart, I guess since they've changed it I'll just stick to the Target brand.

I don't think it's silly, but I did find it funny as I have had several cats in my lifetime and I have never noticed if they preferred one litter over another, they just use the box with whatever. I really never thought about a cat being particular about their litter, but it makes sense as they can be picky about everything. I do like the PetSmart brand Exquisicat (at least Petsmart is the only place I have seen it). It seems to clump better than the other brands and is good at odor control.

I purchase Special Kitty Cat litter at Walmart also. But, I buy the multiple cat litter in the whit jug with a green label/picture on front. It is only $ 4.96 at Walmart and it's 16 pounds. It's a clumping litter and works great. Hope this helps.

I use the Tidy Cats Breeze system. It is more expensive but worth it. Instead of clay litter it uses these large pellets. There are slats in the bottom for the urine which gets absorbed by a pad. You change the pad about once a week (if you have one cat. I have two so it's about every 5 days). The litter doesn't stick to the poop so you only need to replace it when it gets nasty.

One of my cats has litterbox issues and it has greatly decreased her tendency to poop on my floor. It's great becaus it controls odors. I live in an apartment and unfortunately the only place for it is in the kitchen. I no longer have litter pellets over the kitchen (these don't get scattered). There is no dust when I add or change it, and it's much easier to clean since I can just take a clorox wipe to it. I love it so much more than my old clay litter. The only downfall is that if you accidentally let the pad go too long it gets really gross. You'll never make that mistake twice!

We use Scoop Away only because I've got a picky cat who will not use the box with any other brand we've tried. Drives me crazy because I don't particularly like the scent of it---yes, the cat even disliked the unscented stuff. :rolleyes:

He needs to realize just how lucky he is that my DD likes him so much, that I'm willing to put up with his antics--she's the only one he likes no matter how/what we've tried! :rotfl:

I always bought the orange, loved it. It had very little dust and my cats liked it. I could not find it last month at Walmart, they had Scoopp Away and it had two small boxes inside the large, so you don't get as much. the SC lasted me all month.

I've always used Johnny Cat for my cats. They all liked it and it doesn't smell bad.

Sorry that you kitty litter changed. I doubt that Wal-Mart actually makes it but they could have switched to a new supplier under the Wal-Mart name.

We're a Fresh Step house. They like it and I think it's the best for odor control.

I have one very picky litter box cat. It must be cleaned every day. I use Arm & Hammer for mutiple cats now. It's easier to clean up everyday. I also put multiple piddle pads around the kitchen just in case. If the litter box is clean, he will use it. He also behaves better if the lab (dog) is in the house! How weird is that?

We use The World's Best Cat Litter in the green bag. It is expensive, maybe $11 a bag (small size) at pet stores but you can get it at most Targets for $7-8. But it really is the best one we have ever tried (and we have tried maybe 10 different kinds over the years).

1. I never realized it was a Walmart owned product.
2. Didn't realize this thread was bumped from 2007.
3. Seems to be a topic that brings a lot of people to register to the DIS & post as their first post and ONLY post ever. Noticed at least 3 in this very thread. Who would have guessed. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter