• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anybody actually like Figment?

MickeysMagicalMiles

Earning My Ears
Come on, nobody likes figment, or do they?
The ride isn't too bad but it is no Pirates of the Caribbean. Please state your comments on the subject!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I still like Figment. (of course I do, look at my name). It was the very first ride I ever rode at WDW, and it was the first ride my son rode last spring on his first visit. I will always love the Imagination Pavilion, despite its changes. Plus, the concept of Imagination inspired me then and inspires me still.

It's not Figment of old, but it's still "figgy." :)

Come on, nobody likes figment, or do they?

There's the CHARACTER named, "Figment," and there's the
RIDE that he's in, "Journey Into Your Imagination."

Most guests like Figment, but many don't think too much of the present version of the ride.

Here's some background-

Kodak, the attraction's corporate sponsor since the opening of Epcot, had an agreement with Disney that stated the attraction must be "updated" for the year 2000.

Little did anyone know that the "creative minds" in WDImagineering would not be nearly as creative in 1998 as they had been in 1980!

The new Imagination ride was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Disney parks. There was NOTHING left of what had made the original such a huge crowd pleaser (and that also meant that there was no Figment in that version!)

So, they soon re-did the re-do and you now still see the result.
Its "cute," (and Figment is back) but the current ride is nothing but a far too brief, sliver of the amazing original ride.

In the grand scheme of these kind of things, it was a colossal blunder.

There's a saying that goes, "Do you want to trade the devil you KNOW for the devil you DON'T know?"
(Meaning that if you don't like your situation NOW, how do you know that you won't move into a WORSE one by making a change?)

I'll paraphase it in the case of "Imagination" to say to Kodak/Disney...
"Do you want to trade the ANGEL you KNOW for the POSSIBLE devil you DON'T know?"

The original version of this ride is my all-time favorite attraction at Epcot.

It was so RICH in details that I'm sure that I never saw "everything" in it, even after literally dozens of ride-throughs.

The scenes were diverse and always surprising.
The musical arrangements were complex and interesting.
The characters were engaging.

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.

I'll assume that there was an entire CHAIN of memos and meetings where warnings of
looming problems were ignored (or not spoken strongly enough.)

I have seen so many majorly ill-advised corporate decisions made in all kinds of companies.

So sad that in a "vast bastion of creativity" like Disney, could they make such an unfortunate move
as to lose the original artistic creation that was the first version of Journey Into IMAGINATION.

The guy who sits next to me at work loves Figment. I took pictures of him on the screens at the end of the ride and sent them to him. He printed them and put them on his wall. He's 65 years old and I think he reminds him of when his kids were young and they went to WDW.

Here's some background-

Kodak, the attraction's corporate sponsor since the opening of Epcot, had an agreement with Disney that stated the attraction must be "updated" for the year 2000.

Little did anyone know that the "creative minds" in WDImagineering would not be nearly as creative in 1998 as they had been in 1980!

The new Imagination ride was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Disney parks. There was NOTHING left of what had made the original such a huge crowd pleaser (and that also meant that there was no Figment in that version!)

So, they soon re-did the re-do and you now still see the result.
Its "cute," (and Figment is back) but the current ride is nothing but a far too brief, sliver of the amazing original ride.

In the grand scheme of these kind of things, it was a colossal blunder.

So sad.

There's a saying that goes, "Do you want to trade the devil you KNOW for the devil you DON'T know?"
(Meaning that if you don't like your situation NOW, how do you know that you won't move into a WORSE one by making a change?)

I'll paraphase it in the case of "Imagination" to say to Kodak/Disney...
"Do you want to trade the ANGEL you KNOW for the POSSIBLE devil you DON'T know?"

The original version of this ride is my all-time favorite attraction at Epcot.

It was so RICH in details that I'm sure that I never saw "everything" in it, even after literally dozens of ride-throughs.

The scenes were diverse and always surprising.
The musical arrangements were complex and interesting.
The characters were engaging.

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.

I'll assume that there was an entire CHAIN of memos and meetings where warnings of
looming problems were ignored (or not spoken strongly enough.)

I have seen so many majorly ill-advised corporate decisions made in all kinds of companies.

So sad that in a "vast bastion of creativity" like Disney, could they make such an unfortunate move
as to lose the original artistic creation that was the first version of Journey Into IMAGINATION.

Very well stated!! I wish they could bring back the entire attraction!!

Robo said it all.

I like Figment. I've always liked Figment. However, my admiration of the character is built on the absolutely fantastic original Imagination attraction. If I walked into EPCOT for the first time ever tomorrow and went on that ride, I would call it a joke and be done with it forever. The only reason I even ride it today is for Figment, though I do very much enjoy Eric Idle as well. That ride is a real missed opportunity. The original is fantastic, but they could have easily created a fantastic replacement. They just didn't.

I've never been on the first one. We really like the current one but from what I have seen in pictures and stuff, I would have liked the first one just as much if not more.

Does anyone have the ride video from the old ride (or can i get it on youtube)? :thumbsup2

Absolutely, I have pictures of myself as a tyke with Dreamfinder and Figment. I would also like to see a revamped version of the original and maybe have Figment pose for photos once again.

DD still loves it! She fell in love when she was 5 and we still ride it 5+ times a trip. There is no line, its a sit down deal, we tolerate it for her.

Um... Check the name ;)

However I will not ride the current ride. IT STINKS.:headache:

When I was a child, my favorite memories at Disney are of the original Journey in Your Imagination with Figment and the long lost Dreamfinder. Here is a clip if you haven't had the pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2VcQRMOM0

I'm just biding my time with Disney to get it right again. We all know Honey I Shrunk the Audience won't be around forever, and since the current Journey ride is based on it, when they change it, they'll redo Journey (again).

There's the CHARACTER named, "Figment," and there's the
RIDE that he's in, "Journey Into Your Imagination."

Most guests like Figment, but many don't think too much of the present version of the ride.

I agree. Our crew of 6 (grandparents, parents, a 12-year-old girl and a 4-year-old girl) all like Figment, but none of us enjoyed Journey Into Imagination. We didn't really dislike it either. It was just a big yawn for all of us. We've agreed that this ride will be skipped on our next visit. To be fair, this was our first time riding Journey Into Imagination. On our first trip to WDW two years ago we didn't have time for this ride.

We all liked the What if Labs after Journey was over.

Many many great memories of Figment as a child at EPCOT.... still love him, although not a huge fan of the ride re-do. I wish the ride was as it was in the 80's

I LOVE the character Figment, and I must admit, I like the ride too. :) The current version is not as good as the original version, but I like all of the whimsical scenes with Figment in it.

Um... Check the name ;)

However I will not ride the current ride. IT STINKS.:headache:

When I was a child, my favorite memories at Disney are of the original Journey in Your Imagination with Figment and the long lost Dreamfinder. Here is a clip if you haven't had the pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2VcQRMOM0

I'm just biding my time with Disney to get it right again. We all know Honey I Shrunk the Audience won't be around forever, and since the current Journey ride is based on it, when they change it, they'll redo Journey (again).

Neat. That brings back happy memories! I actually have a small picture in a frame in my kitchen of my 2 kids with their picture taken with Figment and Dreamfinder from 1993!! The picture always brings a smile to my face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter