• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does any have a checklist of what to bring for tent camping?

dutton

Mouseketeer
We will be tent camping at WDW from Oct 5-9 and I was wondering if anyone had a list of things to bring or not to forget. We have been camping a couple of times but this will be our first time for longer than 2 days. Thanks for any help!!

Here's a list I start with:

For Kids:
Clothing
Pajamas
Underwear
Belts
Hats
Little pillows & cuddlies
Socks
Shoes
Hair things
Jackets/Sweaters
Swim suits
Flipflops
Swim cover ups
Goggles
Books
Games & Toys

For Adults:
Clothing
Underwear
Pajamas
Jackets/Sweaters
Swim suits
Flipflops
Swim cover ups
Belts
Shoes
Socks/stockings
Hair things
Jewelry
Books & magazines
Booklight

Toiletries:
Shampoo & conditioner
Toothbrushes & toothpaste
Kids’ shampoo
Hair products
Razors
Medicines & bandaids
Deodorant
Soap
Hair brushes
Hand wipes
Sewing kit
Vitamins
lotion

Papers:
Cash or traveler’s checks
Drivers Licenses
copies of credit cards (in case they get stolen)
Maps, Guide books
Address books
Stamps
Reservation confirmations

Electronics:
2-way radios
Camcorder, adapters, etc.
Batteries
Camera & film
alarm clock
Laptop & CDs, adapters
Headphones
Cell phone charger cord
Extension cord
electric frying pan
electric coffee maker

Other:
Sunglasses
Rain ponchos
Flashlight
Nightlight
Umbrella
Spray fans
Sunscreen
Bug repellent
Backpack
Waist pouch
Insulated drink holders
Ziploc bags

Misc.:
Picnic blanket
pillows and blankets
air mattress
Laundry detergent
Beach toys
Cooler
Roller skates
Skooters
Bikes
Electric Cooler
towels & washcloths
clothespins and clothesline

Dutton:

Rather than rekeying what has already been typed above, I'll also mention that if you do an internet search on "camping checklist" you will find several sites devoted to just what you're looking for. I've done this in the past when we first started camping with our (then) 2 y.o. DD and the lists I found were invaluable in helping us think of things that we would probably have never thought of.

Hope this helps,

- Mark

Don't forget to pack two Toiletries bags so both male & female can shower at the same time!

Here is my camping list:

Tent (Treat tent with seam sealer and spray-on sealer)
6 mil plastic cut to fit bottom of tent - two pieces (one under the tent, one inside on the bottom)
Disposable painters plastic (place this down first, then throw away at the end of the trip), keeps the sand off your tent and groundcloth
Sunshade/raincover
ScreenHouse (optional)
Folding Chairs
Cooler or Fridge
Fan (even when the weather is nice, you need to run a fan in the tent during the day to dry things out some, the humidity is still high)
Air Mattress or Cot
Air Pump for Air Mattress (I use a rechargeable one), electric will work well at WDW campsite
Rain Poncho or Rain Suit
Garbage Bags (The garbage cans located throughout the loop may not be right by your campsite)
Flashlight
Electric, Battery, or Gas Lantern
Stake Mallet
At least 20 ft Outdoor Extension Cord
Power Strip
Alarm Clock
Sleeping Bags and/or sheets and blanket
Pillows
Small Backpack for each person to carry toiletries and change of clothes to shower house
Shower Shoes
Towels
Washcloths
Clothesline
Rubbermaid Bin to put shoes in outside of tent
"D-Rings" or "Caribiner Clips" (Not sure of spelling) I use this to hang my lanterns from the inside poles of my rain shelter and screen house, also good to hang your raingear from.
Plastic Tablecloth if you want to use the picnic table at all
Charcoal and associated cooking utensils if you want to use the grill

Thanks so much for the great lists, we are thinking about camping for our Oct trip.

We also like to take a broom to sweep out any stray sand that might get into the tent. We've found that the sunshade/raincover (we just used a large plastic tarp) that was mentioned is SO important...it's kept our tent much drier than when we camped without one. Have a great trip!

Does the sunshade/raincover go over your tent? Or do you set it up to over chairs for sitting outside? I just bought a cheap 11x11 dining canopy and I previously purchased a 17x9 tent. If it's supposed to cover the tent, does the shade need to completely cover the tent?

Thanks!

I place mine just at the entrance of my tent to cover my chairs. That way I can sit in the shade/out of the rain and I can also get in and out of my tent without getting wet. I hang my rainsuit from the inside of the shelter so I don't have to bring it in my tent.

I saturate my tent with waterproofing stuff every 6 months, so I have never had any leakage problems.

I have seen some folks that put a HUGE tarp over their entire site, but I don't want to fool with that much work.

If I felt I needed to cover my tent, I would just purchase another one of the Wal-Mart $30 shelters to put over my tent in behind the one I normally set up.

I guess what I'm saying is make sure you have some cover outside your tent, so you can sit in your chairs and enjoy the rainshower :-)

Carol

for some reason this posted 2 times and i can't delete it, sorry

www.gorp.com has a good list and I think www.away.com does too.

if you haven't camped at FW you are in for a real treat! the sites are great the bathrooms greatand(I forgot if you have little kids) but they have a nice petting zoo and let our kids see the Perchurons(sp) it was up by the trail's end buffet to the left of the bathrooms. and the hay ride is very fun also

We mainly used the raincover (tarp) to cover the entrance to the tent, which kept less moisture from getting inside the tent as we went in and out and provided shelter for our chairs too. We angled the tarp so that the rain wouldn't pool on top of the tarp, but would divert the water away from the tent. Even though our tent was waterproofed and didn't leak, it really did make the tent seem drier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter