Doc--re holding account

disneykins

DIS Veteran
Just booked the cruise with all points yesterday and Member Services told me if I cancel the cruise within 7 days of sailing, I lose the points. There is no transfer to the holding account because the points have been used in an exchange. You replied to a previous question that they did go into a holding account. I wonder if I misunderstood you or Member services?
Thanks.
Tony.

DVC since 93

I have a friend who cancelled her cruise at the last minute last August and she said she lost all her points.

Apparently, the cruise does not allow the points to be used if cancelled within 7 days. That is probably due to the unlikeyhood of being able to refill the cruise vacancy on that short notice. (DVC would still have to "pay" the DCL for the cabin.)
For other DVC cancellations- there is no penalty if cancelled 31 days or more ahead- and the holdong account will apply for cancellation within 30 days of the reservation. A cancellation on the day of the reservation also would involve the loss of points.
I hope this helps.

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

This is just another reason why I took the trip cancellation insurance when I cruised on points...

<font color=red>
Carol</font>

<font color=blue>Co-Moderator - Theme Park Attractions and Strategies Board</font>
<font color=red>Co Moderator - Cruise Board</font>
<font color=blue>Co-Moderator - DVC Board</font>
<font color=red>Cruise and DVC Chat Host</font>

I though if you canceled your reservations for a cruise that it went in a special holding for use but not a DVC resort.

So you could use it in an exchange or WDW hotels, just not a DVC resort.

Please tell me where you purchased the trip cancellation policy? How much did it cost?

spiceycat- that is correct...unless you cancel within 7 days. That is when the cruise will cause you to lose the points altogether.
Cancellations more than 7 and less than 30 days- will go into the "holding account- reservation status" and may then be used for a non-DVC reservation within 60 days.

dthomas, after I booked my cruise on points, when MS sent me my confirmation there was a paper enclosed with the prices and info on the insurance. I called and purchased that insurance. I am running out now, but will look up the prices and info for you later this evening.

<font color=red>
Carol</font>

<font color=blue>Co-Moderator - Theme Park Attractions and Strategies Board</font>
<font color=red>Co Moderator - Cruise Board</font>
<font color=blue>Co-Moderator - DVC Board</font>
<font color=red>Cruise and DVC Chat Host</font>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter