Do your older children typically know what their Christmas gifts are beforehand?

maslex

DIS Veteran
I have two boys. They are 15 & 17. It is damn near impossible to figure out what they want for Christmas. I always ask them for a list of things that they'd like to have and then I choose a few things off of that list to buy.

So far my youngest is asking for computer parts so he can build his own gaming computer. Things like, modem, keyboard, speakers, headphones, etc.

My oldest has given me a list with a vest, boots and Carhartt sweatshirts on it.

Anyhow, back to my original question. My youngest found a really good online bundle deal for some of his computer parts that he wants. Apparently it was one of those "one day only" type of deals. It really was a good deal and after asking him if he was 100% sure he wanted it, we decided to make the purchase. So basically, he knows that he's getting that stuff.

My MIL usually gives each of her grandkids $100 cash. This year though, my oldest said he wanted one of those "bubble" vests. Not sure what the actual name of it is though. She asked him if he would rather have the money or the vest and he chose the vest. So she gave us the money so we could pick out the vest while we were at Cabelas yesterday. So now, he will know ahead of time what he's getting from grandma.

I know it's not a big deal. But I'm one of those people who love surprises and love to see other people's reaction when they open a gift that they're not sure what it is. You know what I mean?

I even told my youngest son that I hate that he knows what a couple of his gifts are and he agreed. He says that he'd rather not know but it was too good of a deal to not grab that bundle deal. LOL

So do your children know ahead of time what any of their gifts are? Or do you like to keep it all a secret until that day?

What about putting the gifts under the tree once they're wrapped? My boys don't want to see the gifts under the tree until Christmas morning. I'd rather have it that way too.

DS17 does not know what he is getting. However, yesterday I told him that I had spent a lot of money on something that was not going to be a lot of fun and that that was going to be his main present. It's driving lessons. He's already had some, didn't pass the test and made a big $500 dent in my minivan last time I took him out. So, it will be something that will be useful, but again, not a lot of fun.

DS is almost 15 and DD is 13. They give me a "list" of things they want so I guess you can say they do know BUT I never let one what I do get off the list. I always manage to get 1 surprise gift for each of them from Santa.. Last year DS got his Beats which he hadn't asked for but I know he would love. They always look forward to that surprise and I love to see the look on their faces.

Haven't decided on their surprises this year. There is a watch that DD has been eyeing....

As far as putting in under the tree, the ones from us are put out, the one from Santa, not until Christmas morning

Yes, my kids are older and they usually know what they're getting for Christmas. I wrap them and put them under the tree Christmas Eve. I usually try to get a couple of things they don't know, ie stocking gifts and maybe 1 or 2 other things. I can't afford to waste money guessing on their gifts and then having to return things after Christmas if they aren't right. Also, this way everyone's happy Christmas morning.

Mine are 13 and 16, and basically yes. The major things. I always say I WON'T buy anything else, but I always do.

I feel the need for some surprises. I just enjoy it.

We normally keep it a secret. I get a list from each kid and buy off that. So they know what they might be getting but don't know exactly what.

I do wrap the gifts and put them under the tree as I buy them but I get sneaky and put them in odd boxes so they can't guess.

Once my son did find the hidden "Santa" gifts. I didn't let on that I knew he'd found them but he did tell me after Christmas that it wasn't as fun knowing what you were getting.

My kids are 15 and 19 - they know what they ask for but have no idea what they are getting until Christmas morning when they open their gifts.:santa:

I am 36 and I don't know what I am getting from my parents. They don't even tell us what they are getting for other siblings. That way, everyone is surprised. Their gifts for us plus Santa gifts and stockings don't come out until after we've gone home on Christmas Eve.

Yes, my kids normally know what they are getting and it drives me crazy. I miss the the days when they were all surprised. :sad1:

What's worse though is that mine have been shopping for deals and when I don't get it right then they, mainly my son, get upset. So, this year I have told them that they can make a list and Santa will bring them what he thinks thy should have. I'm going to try to go back to surprising them again.

I also have two kids with birthdays in Dec. so I get slammed. :upsidedow

Mine has a good idea... But we try to keep details, and which coveted items he is getting secret. But, nothing that is a real surprise.

When they are old enough to be specifically 'shopping' and "OMG, we have to get that Black Friday deal now..." Whatcha gon' do!!!!

PS: My son has just added a Carhartt coat/jacket to his list. (Darn, he had tryed on one better coat that was lookin' so FINE on him!!!) He really wants the more rugged, everyday, working-guy Carhartt. His buddy has one that his grandma bought for him. Hard to try to keep up with the Jones' when Grandma Jones seems to have a lot of bucks to buy the nicest Underarmour, Carhartt, etc..!!!!

I hate surprises so I have never been really good about christmas ones! I did tell DD yesterday when we were out shopping that if she saw anything she wanted I would just get it for her and wrap it up. She didn't find anything yet, but she may soon.

I know some of what I'm getting because I was in American Eagle with my mom yesterday when she bought it :rotfl:. I'm an 18 year old girl and most of what I want is clothes, but my mom likes for me to try stuff on first and tell her what I have already/don't have/wouldn't be interested in. It works fine for us.

14 and 13 year old kids.

we get a list of 10 things they want..

We then pick from that..

So they know,but don't if that makes sense..

All three kids must make me a list with prices and, if possible, which store to find each item. The little one can cut and paste a Word document very well. I choose gifts from their lists. My youngest still believes in Santa, so my excuse for the list is bc I do the shopping from the grandparents as well. Their lists also help when their aunts call for ideas. So they all pretty much know what they will get, but I always manage to slip a couple of surprises in there. While at WDW last week, my oldest wanted some cologne from Epcot (France.) I bought it with the understanding that it goes under the tree. So one gift is bought for him already:)

We knew a lot when we were older but mom always found special little surprises that meant a lot. Sometimes little random things but little things we knew that she really knew us.

My son just came in and told me to go on Best Buy's website where I could get a Blue Ray collection of Lord of the Rings DVD's for $49.99, regularly $129.99. He told me they were store pickup and where I would need to pick them up. I ordered them. He's getting a watch that will be a suprise. Also, purchased two pair of sweat pants thus far. He'll probably get some cash and wall art as he just redecorated his room. He says he wants vintage, framed, Batman posters. Wish me luck.

I have two boys. They are 15 & 17. It is damn near impossible to figure out what they want for Christmas. I always ask them for a list of things that they'd like to have and then I choose a few things off of that list to buy.

So far my youngest is asking for computer parts so he can build his own gaming computer. Things like, modem, keyboard, speakers, headphones, etc.

My oldest has given me a list with a vest, boots and Carhartt sweatshirts on it.

Anyhow, back to my original question. My youngest found a really good online bundle deal for some of his computer parts that he wants. Apparently it was one of those "one day only" type of deals. It really was a good deal and after asking him if he was 100% sure he wanted it, we decided to make the purchase. So basically, he knows that he's getting that stuff.

My MIL usually gives each of her grandkids $100 cash. This year though, my oldest said he wanted one of those "bubble" vests. Not sure what the actual name of it is though. She asked him if he would rather have the money or the vest and he chose the vest. So she gave us the money so we could pick out the vest while we were at Cabelas yesterday. So now, he will know ahead of time what he's getting from grandma.

I know it's not a big deal. But I'm one of those people who love surprises and love to see other people's reaction when they open a gift that they're not sure what it is. You know what I mean?

I even told my youngest son that I hate that he knows what a couple of his gifts are and he agreed. He says that he'd rather not know but it was too good of a deal to not grab that bundle deal. LOL

So do your children know ahead of time what any of their gifts are? Or do you like to keep it all a secret until that day?

What about putting the gifts under the tree once they're wrapped? My boys don't want to see the gifts under the tree until Christmas morning. I'd rather have it that way too.
yeah my ds is only 10-hasn't believed in Santa since he was 8 and he basically knows exactly what he's getting. Honestly it kinda bums me out, but on the other hand I don't want to spend money on stuff he doesn't want nor will use.

I tend to know as my list only ever has a couple of things on it. I really wish it would be a surprise but I work so if I see something during the year I buy it. Need to hold off & ask for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter