Do you watch tv shows outside your demographic?

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
I was making small talk at the family Christmas party this past weekend with female relatives in their teens and early twenties, and realize that I watch (and enjoy) shows aimed more at them than me (I'm 50something):
Charmed (the new reboot), Legacies, Riverdale, All American, etc.

I think, for me, it's partly because I used to be a high school librarian, so read a lot of YA lit, and these shows are fun and sparkly and don't take any effort.

I do think some of these girls, though, were really surprised. Like after the age of 50 you can only watch PBS? (Ok, they'd probably give me HGTV and Lifetime, too :)...)

So admit it, do you watch (and enjoy) anything we might be surprised by?

Terri

I love Riverdale and I am in my late 30s. I'm binge watching the original Sailor Moon, no shame on my part! I still love Dawson's Creek, but that might be more nostalgic.

I'm in my 30s...I love Riverdale and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and was fully invested in Pretty Little Liars. My kids are 13 and 15 and I talk to their female friends about "our shows", LOL!!

I'm "honored citizen" age and love high school romance movies. 10 Things I Hate About You, an all time favorite. And enjoyed All the Boys I've Loved Before on Netflix. Young romance is ageless!

When I lived at home (so 16 and 17) I would watch EastEnders with my parents. It’s a British soap opera LOL

Not going to reveal my age, but yes, I love shows that are way under my age, lol. I loved Pretty Little Liars and The Fosters, and Switched at Birth. I am looking forward to Good Trouble. I love Riverdale and Charmed. If a show is good, I don't really care what age it's directed at!

I really liked Teen Wolf, the tv show. I watched the entire show from end to end several times. I'm almost 46.
I also really liked Phineas and Ferb and I Carly when my kids watched them.

I also really liked Phineas and Ferb and I Carly when my kids watched them.

Yeah, Nick had a lot of good ones for a while! - iCarly, Zoey 101, Drake & Josh, Victorious... I guess I definitely don't discriminate by age in my TV viewing. :rotfl:

(I do like "grown-up" stuff, too.)

I think it can have more to do with how the show is made sometimes.

I grew up on Charmed but I watched 4 episodes of the reboot and decided to not watch anymore. I just couldn't get into it and wished they had just done something different than tied it to the original version.

Riverdale is just a darn good show. From the music to the way the mood is from the way they draw out the plot, etc.

I grew up on Sabrina and I've watched several episodes so far of the Chilling Adventures on Netflix and love it. It's such a different take (which is the way it was intended) than the Melissa Joan Hart series.

I never watched Vampire Diaries despite reading a few of the books but I loved Originals and now watch Legacies (though I enjoyed Originals more).

That being said I have watched a few shows on PBS (Mercy Street I thought was quite good), I grew up on HGTV and have watched other shows that don't fit my demographic likely as well as shows that do fit my demographic. I also like period shows so sometimes I seek those out and I'm still one of those people who has a DVD plan with Netflix which helps get those older shows or TV movies that you can't find these days. I also like things from Acorn TV or BBC shows and my library as well as Amazon Prime has some of those.

I'm binge watching the original Sailor Moon, no shame on my part!
OMG I loved that show when it was being shown on syndication. I would get home from school and watch the episodes. I think I was in middle school though. I've had a hard time finding the episodes they aired in the U.S. though I know they changed things around from its original format for some things. I'd love to be able to rewatch them.

Well given most shows these days are targeted at 18-34 year olds, if I watch any new programming it is outside of my demographic at age 61.
But I don't watch almost any new programming, other that shows on HGTV. I'm watching Perry Mason as I type this...one of the last episodes made in 1965, 53 years ago when I was 8.
DW and I were regular TV watchers in our 20-30's, but in the 1990's fewer and fewer shows were of interest to us. Almost none are now.

I'm in my 30s...I love Riverdale and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and was fully invested in Pretty Little Liars. My kids are 13 and 15 and I talk to their female friends about "our shows", LOL!!
That sounds like my husband :rotfl:He watches a TON of shows that aren’t really targeted to a male in his late 30’s. The ones that surprise me the most are Once Upon a Time, and Charmed.

No, I definitely don't watch TV shows aimed at teens, but I enjoyed the Twilight and Hunger Games movies.

I enjoy Riverdale. I watched Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth, and Once Upon a Time too.

I probably watch a lot aimed for those younger than me. I think there's shows I don't even think as aimed for the younger crowd. For sure I love Sabrina and Stranger Things. I loved Glee, too. The Madonna episode lured me in and I was hooked.

I just started Riverdale last week and I’m really enjoying it. Basically any HS/college drama can pull me in...gossip girl, Dawson’s Creek, one tree hill, pretty little liars, etc.

No, I watch very little tv. Hard for me. I can sit and read. But not sit and watch tv. It's mind numbing, to me. Try once going a week with out turning on the tv, you would surprised at how peaceful your house will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter