Do You Trust the Media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have friends who work for MSM and are serious journalists.

I think that the news has changed in the last 20/25 years with the advent of the internet, cable news (24/7 news is so repetitive). News stories can get covered relentlessly and how much can you say. To change it up, you have a panel and it becomes several different opinions, all trying to become the "right" point. With the rush of trying to get news onto the internet, not sure editing/proofreading skills are up to par.

As for me, for many things I will have my "go to" sources but will read several sources to get different angles. I remember back when I was a kid and needing to bring a newspaper article in to school for current events. My dad told me that most news was liberal, not meaning it was necessarily bad but the news was slanted.

I was thinking along these lines. It started with cable news and grew from there in such a way that everything is somewhat watered down. When I was a kid, the TV news was 3 channels and they were all the same. Even if they were biased, they were at least consistent.

Print was a bit different. There were two newspapers in town & while the news was basically the same in both, the editorial section most definitely was not. But, at least it was clearly editorial and not disguised as "news".

Knowing most sources are biased to some degree, I try to avoid sources that lean the same direction as me. I find them kind of embarrassing when they start bending the truth. At least when the other guys do it, I can yell at the screen and feel better about it :cool1:

I think that the media should have shown what she posted on her Facebook page, told that the people protesting the White Supremecists were carrying bats and other things. There are videos and pictures of that day, maybe they should show the picture of Heyer being given CPR.

I am asking this because I really want to undestand where you are coming from. Why does it matter what she posted on FB? Why does it matter that the people protesting the White Supremecists were carrying bats and other things? Was she? Was she beating someone with that stuff? No.
She was still run down by a car and killed. None of that stuff means she wasn't murdered. Why do we the public need to know those things?
I don't, I don't care why she was there, or what side she was on, or what she was wearing, or that she was a smoker. Does any of that stuff change the fact that she as murdered? We just need the facts, she was there protesting the protesters, check. She was killed when a protester ran his car in to the crowd, check. End of story.

Amen to every point you made. It makes me sad and angry when so many are trying to stop the press. The first thing that goes away in dictatorships in the free press. Let's make sure that doesn't happen here.

I don’t want to stop the press, I want the ones who work in that industry to go back to the questions that a newstory should have answered and give people the opportunity to make their minds up. The questions of who, what, where, when, why and how. Instead we get the bias of the person who runs the news on that channel. Journalists in other countries are being jailed, threatened and killed if they report something that questioned or criticized a government. I read that in the PA territories journalists are being jailed or tortured, why hasn’t it been in the media including the Guardian.

I think that the media should have shown what she posted on her Facebook page, told that the people protesting the White Supremecists were carrying bats and other things. There are videos and pictures of that day, maybe they should show the picture of Heyer being given CPR.
Make up your mind. First you complained they didn't show the picture you wanted and they should have shown it because "it was on the internet". Now you think they should have said people were carrying bats and other things? If you carry a bat, you should be hit by a car? Did they use the bats? Could they have had them for self defense?

I don’t want to stop the press, I want the ones who work in that industry to go back to the questions that a newstory should have answered and give people the opportunity to make their minds up. The questions of who, what, where, when, why and how. Instead we get the bias of the person who runs the news on that channel. Journalists in other countries are being jailed, threatened and killed if they report something that questioned or criticized a government. I read that in the PA territories journalists are being jailed or tortured, why hasn’t it been in the media including the Guardian.
I will say there are times I think certain reports should be done from a more cyncial viewpoint. However, it's not every report, and not every media outlet. Regarding the bolded, who "runs the news"?
The reporter? They report the stories
The producer? They pick what stories are used
The executive producer? They oversee the producer.
The news director? They oversee the department
The General Manager? They oversee the station
The owners?

How high does this bias go?

I am asking this because I really want to undestand where you are coming from. Why does it matter what she posted on FB? Why does it matter that the people protesting the White Supremecists were carrying bats and other things? Was she? Was she beating someone with that stuff? No.
She was still run down by a car and killed. None of that stuff means she wasn't murdered. Why do we the public need to know those things?
I don't, I don't care why she was there, or what side she was on, or what she was wearing, or that she was a smoker. Does any of that stuff change the fact that she as murdered? We just need the facts, she was there protesting the protesters, check. She was killed when a protester ran his car in to the crowd, check. End of story.

Was she murdered? Show me the video where she was struck by the car. It is that simple. I saw the video of her being given CPR, saw no injuries. Saw the video of the car going into a man, who by the way lived. Saw the video before the car went into the crowd and saw the group that she was part of bashing some cars so that windows were broken. I guess you have never been hit by a bat.

I will say there are times I think certain reports should be done from a more cyncial viewpoint. However, it's not every report, and not every media outlet. Regarding the bolded, who "runs the news"?
The reporter? They report the stories
The producer? They pick what stories are used
The executive producer? They oversee the producer.
The news director? They oversee the department
The General Manager? They oversee the station
The owners?

How high does this bias go?

On CNN it is Brian Stetler. New York Times the editorial board. Guardian the Editors.

Was she murdered? Show me the video where she was struck by the car. It is that simple. I saw the video of her being given CPR, saw no injuries. Saw the video of the car going into a man, who by the way lived. Saw the video before the car went into the crowd and saw the group that she was part of bashing some cars so that windows were broken. I guess you have never been hit by a bat.

OK, I get it. You know more than the police who actually investigated what happened.
You know more than the witnesses there.
You saw a video on the news from the comfort of your couch, and you know she wasn't murdered in that street.
Either you have an amazing ability, or you are a big fan of Alex Jones and people like him.

Facts are easy to believe. They are facts. They either are true or they are not.

It's extrapolation where you have to be weary.

Like I said earlier about science studies. Somebody releases a study and the media jump on it and proclaim that blueberries cure autism or LED lightbulbs cause cancer.

Or when the stock market goes up. Or down. Talking heads will give an explanation. The stock is up because of the increase of milk production in Fiji. Ok, Svenjali, sure. I'll take your word for that. Stocks are up, that's a number. That's a fact. Why are the stocks up? Nobody actualy knows. Or not in a way that can be explained to a laymen in 30 seconds. Don't buy the explanation. Just hear the fact and move on.

Did you read the article it said that the manner of her death is still to be determined. It hasn’t’t been proven yet that she was killed by the car.

Wait...what?

The Central District Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond has released the cause of death for the woman who was killed in the August 12 car attack in downtown Charlottesville.

According to our partners at the Daily Progress, the medical examiner ruled her death to be due to blunt force injury.

Heather Heyer was one of dozens who was injured after police say James Alex Fields Jr. of Ohio rammed a car into a crowd of pedestrians gathered at the intersection of 4th and Water streets.

Fields is facing charges of second degree murder as well as multiple counts of malicious wounding.

He is being held at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

Are we still talking about not trusting the media? Because it doesn't sound like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter