Do you Tip Uber?

As a very part-time driver (once a week maybe) I guess I will give my opinion. When I rate a rider, getting a tip doesn't factor into the rating. I rate based on the rider being ready to go when I arrive and being respectful to me and my car. Both can be a challenge when picking up drunks at 2am. With the tipping issue, when Uber first started they claimed the tip was included in the fare but it was a lie. The tip was never included. Drivers didn't mind as much because the fare was double what it is now. Uber has basically cut driver's pay in half. In my market drivers used to get paid $1.50 per mile now it is 0.87 per mile. Most other ride share apps allow in app tipping. While I don't expect a tip because that is what I signed up for, it sure is nice when you get one. After expenses (gas, etc...) I probably make $10/hr. Most drivers make between $8-15/hr after expenses. Of course no one is forced to drive for Uber but I understand some of the full time driver's frustrations with the tipping option. Uber should just add it for people who want to tip. That's my 2 cents. I will answer questions if anyone has any.

The only Uber service I know that includes a tip automatically is UberTAXI which is 20% (though from what I understand you can adjust that it's just automatically added at the rate of 20% or at least I've read where people have been able to adjust the amount).

I'm guessing since the amount you mentioned is the exact amount that gets pre-selected that your husband had used uberTAXI.

View attachment 239317

You are correct. Uber Taxi is not the same as regular uber drivers. You cannot tip regular uber drivers in the app. Not yet at least.

The only Uber service I know that includes a tip automatically is UberTAXI which is 20% (though from what I understand you can adjust that it's just automatically added at the rate of 20% or at least I've read where people have been able to adjust the amount).

I'm guessing since the amount you mentioned is the exact amount that gets pre-selected that your husband had used uberTAXI.

View attachment 239317
Honestly, I don't know the difference in Uber & UberTAXI. I didn't even realize there were two Uber options. DH requested a ride the same way he always does. He paid in advance as usual. The driver that picked us up was in a personal vehicle as always. We've never had a normal cab pick us up via Uber. Which option does it sound like we're using?

This is the first time the 20% tip option was there. Is that new? As long as we're not using a more expensive option, DH liked that he didn't have to worry about having cash for a tip.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know the difference in Uber & UberTAXI. I didn't even realize there were two Uber options. DH requested a ride the same way he always does. He paid in advance as usual. The driver that picked us up was in a personal vehicle as always. We've never had a normal cab pick us up via Uber. Which option does it sound like we're using?

This is the first time the 20% tip option was there. Is that new? As long as we're not using a more expensive option, DH liked that he didn't have to worry about having cash for a tip.

Sounds like you just used regular Uber not UberTaxi. Not sure about the 20% but tipping is not available unless you use UberTaxi. I wonder what his receipt says.

According to this article, UberTaxi is only available in a handful of cities in the US

https://www.uberkit.net/blog/more-details-about-ubertaxi/

Sounds like you just used regular Uber not UberTaxi. Not sure about the 20% but tipping is not available unless you use UberTaxi. I wonder what his receipt says.

According to this article, UberTaxi is only available in a handful of cities in the US

https://www.uberkit.net/blog/more-details-about-ubertaxi/

I'm not sure what was going on because UberTaxi isn't available (as far as what I could find) in FL..but I also couldn't find a version of Uber that automatically adds 20% tip into the app other than UberTAXI...sooo yeah I think the receipt might help out otherwise now I'm at a loss lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter