Do you tip the safelite auto glass installer?

I had a windshield replaced and didn't consider tipping. I do usually offer a gold drink on a hot day.

They came to our house one day to do
It. Gave the guy a bottle of water and $20. Maybe I should have just stuck with the water.

I've had windshields replaces several times and it never even crossed my mind to tip him. They always came to my work to do it. If they had come to my house where I had access to my fridge, I probably would have offered a bottle of water.

Reactions: Iya
This is just for those who did not tip. Do you tip your barber/hairstylist, waiter, hotel cleaning people, Garbage man/mail man. Just curious where you draw the line on who gets tipped and who does not. The windshield should cost you nothing since its usually covered 100% by insurance (mine was).

This is just for those who did not tip. Do you tip your barber/hairstylist, waiter, hotel cleaning people, Garbage man/mail man. Just curious where you draw the line on who gets tipped and who does not. The windshield should cost you nothing since its usually covered 100% by insurance (mine was).
That's if your state has road hazard mandated.

I used to tip my hair stylist until she started doing my hair at her house and set her own prices. (She is my niece) I tip nail techs. And waiters. Not garbage men, occasionally housekeeping but not always.

Well I am in Florida so it is mandated here. Those guys installing the windshield do not make that much money. They come out to your house/business and install there instead of having you go to them.

Well I am in Florida so it is mandated here. Those guys installing the windshield do not make that much money. They come out to your house/business and install there instead of having you go to them.

What exactly do you mean by mandated in Florida?

What exactly do you mean by mandated in Florida?
A few states maintain special statutes that mandate insurance coverage for replacement windshields. Auto insurance providers in these states can't force policyholders to use their deductibles to pay for the cost of windshield repair or replacement. Since the value of most policies' deductibles exceeds that of the typical windshield replacement job, these rules may save insured parties hundreds of dollars over the lives of their policies.

The states that currently have these statutes on the books include Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky. In Florida, all drivers who carry comprehensive insurance coverage on their vehicles are eligible for "free" windshield replacement.

A few states maintain special statutes that mandate insurance coverage for replacement windshields. Auto insurance providers in these states can't force policyholders to use their deductibles to pay for the cost of windshield repair or replacement. Since the value of most policies' deductibles exceeds that of the typical windshield replacement job, these rules may save insured parties hundreds of dollars over the lives of their policies.

The states that currently have these statutes on the books include Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky. In Florida, all drivers who carry comprehensive insurance coverage on their vehicles are eligible for "free" windshield replacement.

thanks for your reply.

in some states maybe all that is not a mandate? windshield coverage is optional when you have full coverage I know in the 2 states I have lived in it was.
as far as tipping. If the person went out of his her way I would tip them 20 if they did there job well and were nice I would give them 5-10 if they came over and replaced the glass and did nothing special and were not going out of their way to be nice or helpful they would get nothing.
More so tipping in situations like this pays it forward... it will hopefully keep that person in a good mood and want to do the job right and be extra nice and helpful to the next person.

In my case, a coconut fell on my windshield on a Thursday morning. I called my insurance who gave me the name of a company to use where I would pay $0 out of pocket. It happened to be safelite. We needed it fixed ASAP since we were leaving on a roadtrip Saturday early in the AM. The guy came out Friday morning before we left and did a great job. He even used OEM glass instead of aftermarket. It was 98 degrees out and super humid. Took 3 hrs due to size of windshield. Guy was super nice. Gave him a $20 which he said thank you so much.

I guess for me, aside from wait staff where tipping is basically part of their salary really, others get tipped if they go above and beyond, or provided really good service. Not for doing your regular job and in a just bare minimum way. Does your garbage man leave things neat and tidy and the pails and covers back in place, or is there trash on the ground and the pails all over the place and covers who knows where? Does the mailman close the mailbox door, or allow the rain to get the mail wet; do they bring packages to your door, or sit in the truck and blow the horn for you to come out to them? Was the hotel room well cleaned or just given a quick once over, and you find "surprises" all around the room?

I am very surprised that nobody tips these workers. They are providing a service. I guess I’m old fashion and that my grandmother always tipped service workers no matter what service they provided at her home. I will look further to get an idea of how much to tip the Safelite worker who will be coming out to replace the windshield on my van.
By the way, welcome to the Disboards!!!

I am guessing that is similar to having AAA come out to change my car battery. I did not tip them and didn't even think of doing so. I don't look at that at a tipped position. they are probably getting paid a fair wage vs someone like the nail salon, hair dressers or server

I guess for me, aside from wait staff where tipping is basically part of their salary really, others get tipped if they go above and beyond, or provided really good service. Not for doing your regular job and in a just bare minimum way. Does your garbage man leave things neat and tidy and the pails and covers back in place, or is there trash on the ground and the pails all over the place and covers who knows where? Does the mailman close the mailbox door, or allow the rain to get the mail wet; do they bring packages to your door, or sit in the truck and blow the horn for you to come out to them? Was the hotel room well cleaned or just given a quick once over, and you find "surprises" all around the room?
Yes our Garbage man drags out the pails and puts them back neat (they do it for all the homes in our neighborhood) and they leave the street spotless, The mailman will put our mail in a bag if it's raining and once gave my daughter a die cast mail truck because she is always out there to greet him and grab the mail. As far as the hotel room, those people deserve to be tipped well. Our room always looks like a tornado went through it due to the kids playing.

If someone goes out of their way to take care of something for you, why not throw a few $$ their way regardless if they are already getting paid.

Yes our Garbage man drags out the pails and puts them back neat (they do it for all the homes in our neighborhood) and they leave the street spotless, The mailman will put our mail in a bag if it's raining and once gave my daughter a die cast mail truck because she is always out there to greet him and grab the mail. As far as the hotel room, those people deserve to be tipped well. Our room always looks like a tornado went through it due to the kids playing.

If someone goes out of their way to take care of something for you, why not throw a few $$ their way regardless if they are already getting paid.

Yes I agree, if they are going out of their way to do something for you that is one thing. If doing just the bare minimum, or even less, not so much.

When I used to get a newspaper delivered I tipped at the holidays, but then someone new took over the route and I was not always getting the paper, it was not always bagged in wet weather, etc. So to me they were not even doing the minimum acceptable level of work, let alone going out of their way and deserving a tip for good service. Their poor service was actually a major factor in my decision to cancel home delivery.

Where my mother lives the garbage men come to wherever you keep your garbage pails on your property and dump them into a larger one they carry and take that to the truck. The mailman comes to the mailbox by the front door. By me, the mailbox is at the street (and yes, my mail is wet almost any day we have rain as the door to the box is rarely shut), and an automated trash truck with an arm that picks up the town issued large receptacle and dumps it into the truck (and windy days can result in some trash blowing onto the street/yard). So it is also a little less personal, and you feel you have little to no interaction with the people doing the work.

That assumes you carry comprehensive. I only carry liability. No need to pay for collision or comprehensive insurance I don't need or want.

I am very surprised that nobody tips these workers. They are providing a service. I guess I’m old fashion and that my grandmother always tipped service workers no matter what service they provided at her home. I will look further to get an idea of how much to tip the Safelite worker who will be coming out to replace the windshield on my van.
LOL. I think you are "new" fashioned. I'm old fashioned. I was raised that you tip minimum wage workers who provide a service.

Like I said above, I tip minimum wage service workers. You lumped a wide range of salaries in the jobs you listed. Our garbage service is provide by the county, the garbage men are union, and starting pay is $42 an hour, so NO, I don't tip someone who makes almost twice what I make. We have automated trash pickup here, so they don't get out of the truck, so I wouldn't even know how to get a tip to my garbage man, or men in reality, since we have a garbage man, a recycling man and a green waste man. And I say men, because I don't think I have ever seen a garbage woman.

As for glass coverage with our insurance. I have $1,000 deductible so my $256 windshield would not be covered. And there is no free lunch. If you paid zero out of pocket, it just means you paid a higher premium, so you really did pay for that windshield.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter