• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you tip for new furniture delivery?

mlwear

DIS Veteran
I know what you are thinking. Oh no, not another thread about tipping :crazy:
This is a very specific issue. It was mentioned in a thread a long time ago, but I believe only one opinion was given and that was by someone with a spouse in the industry.
I need more feedback.
Do you tip for furniture delivery?
I have not in the past. When I read the post from the wife of a man who delivered furniture or had delivered furniture in the past (can't remember all the details -- it was quite a while ago), I felt badly. Was I in the minority of non-tipping customers and stiffing these guys?
I am having a sectional sofa delivered today. It could be as early as in the next 1 1/2 hours (10 am EDT). Should I tip? Do you?
I honestly don't want to, as I paid $150 for delivery and I think the employer should be paying them a decent wage and it is the burden of the employer to do so, when I have to pay so much for delivery (most furniture stores charge $80 -$90 around here). BUT, I don't want to be out of line, if I should be tipping them.
What should I do? :confused3 What do you do?
TIA.

:) I don't know - but you may want to edit your title to be more specific to get more opinions.........

ie "Tipping dilemma - do you tip those who deliver new furniture?"

Hope you get lots of help!

I always do if they do a good job(are careful,don't hit anything,polite) I usually give about $5 per person.my son's friend used to deliver furniture and tips were greatly appreciated as the wages weren't the best and the work is hard. Just my opinion-sometimes Dh says I'd tip everybody if he let me :rotfl2:
HTH
Trish

I don't know about furniture delivery. However, when I did an interstate move I asked the estimator. She said their people are well paid, but suggested $20 each for the packers and the loaders/unloaders at each end and $50 for the driver. I did that and they seemed very appeciative.

I don't think there is a "right" answer. But I think what Cheshire Figment said is the bottom line. A tip, even a modest one, will be greatly appreciated. These guys do back breaking work every day. Most of us wouldn't last one shift doing these jobs. If you are financially able, I think a small tip is a very nice gesture though not a requirement. And, of course, I'm assuming the guys are pleasant and do a good job. If they are rude and rough, then no tip is warranted.

polkadotladybug said:
:) I don't know - but you may want to edit your title to be more specific to get more opinions.........

ie "Tipping dilemma - do you tip those who deliver new furniture?"

Hope you get lots of help!

Yes, did that. I get kind of turned off when I read the tipping ? threads, too! :) Thanks for advice.

Cheshire Figment said:
I don't know about furniture delivery. However, when I did an interstate move I asked the estimator. She said their people are well paid, but suggested $20 each for the packers and the loaders/unloaders at each end and $50 for the driver. I did that and they seemed very appeciative.

:thumbsup2 Yes, when we did many military moves, it was very well known that if you wanted your belongings well cared for you better feed the movers who are packing and loading a good lunch and have a nice tip waiting. We always tipped at the other end, too.

I didn't plan on tipping, but when I saw how careful these 2 guys were carrying my daughter new double bureau up the narrow staircase and being so careful as not to scratch the wall, I gave them each $10 tip. I also had new sofa & loveseat delivered at the same time, but those 2 were easy as that was downstairs.

Also I tipped the refrigerator delivery guys too, again didn't plan to but one of the guy had to strap the refrigerator on his back with ropes and carry it through my condo's lobby into my unit and kitchen! !!

Sue from Boston

I understand your debate. We just ordered a bedroom set that cost almost $3000, and over $500 is the delivery charge! :eek: So after paying that you'd think that would be enough, but these guys are setting up a king canopy bed and a big armoire, so I think if they get it all done in reasonable time without taking chunks out of my wall or the furniture, I'll definitely give them $10 each or so.
We had Rooms To Go deliver couches a couple years ago, and we gove the 2 guys $20 I think. So I guess my answer would be yes, tip them, if you are happy with the service. :)

We live in a second floor walk-up, so yes, I tip for furniture delivery. $5 each for a small piece, $10 or more for something big- the guys who delivered my couch got $20 each 'cause we mismeasured and it didn't fit, but they were able to take the doors off the hinges and take some of the couch apart to make it work. They earned that tip, believe me!

We usually tip $10 or $20 for 2 guys delivering items. I resent all the tips & having to worry about it but figure it's not their fault. I just think the companies charge these big delivery fees but the actual workers don't see much of it. It ticks me off that companies leave it to the consumer to take care of these guys.

No, we don't tip for delivery services. The delivery charges are huge and I refuse to pay above that. Now if it's a huge delivery of a whole room I may consider giving the guys each $5 or $10. I would have to do this without my DH knowledge as he would be upset if he found out.

We're ordering our Master bedroom furniture next year and will have quite a few pieces.

As a point of reference, many large furniture stores contract their delivery to small companies. While the store may charge you $150, the delivery company may only see $125 of that- they need to pay their warehouse people, their drivers, their trucks/overhead, fuel costs, etc. My dh managed a delivery company that contracted w/ a dept store furniture department. His drivers got $12/stop. Whether you bought an end table or 10 rooms of furniture- it was $12 in the guy's pocket. His good drivers could make a decent living but they worked very very hard to earn every penny. That said, we always tip at least $10 for delivery if the driver is careful and considerate. I also always offer them a soft drink or bottle of water on their way out the door.

mlwear said:
I know what you are thinking. Oh no, not another thread about tipping :crazy:
This is a very specific issue. It was mentioned in a thread a long time ago, but I believe only one opinion was given and that was by someone with a spouse in the industry.
I need more feedback.
Do you tip for furniture delivery?
I have not in the past. When I read the post from the wife of a man who delivered furniture or had delivered furniture in the past (can't remember all the details -- it was quite a while ago), I felt badly. Was I in the minority of non-tipping customers and stiffing these guys?
I am having a sectional sofa delivered today. It could be as early as in the next 1 1/2 hours (10 am EDT). Should I tip? Do you?
I honestly don't want to, as I paid $150 for delivery and I think the employer should be paying them a decent wage and it is the burden of the employer to do so, when I have to pay so much for delivery (most furniture stores charge $80 -$90 around here). BUT, I don't want to be out of line, if I should be tipping them.
What should I do? :confused3 What do you do?
TIA.

LizinSTL- Thanks for the breakdown of what the people make. I always thought that the cost you pay to have something delivered didn't make it to the actual people who do the work. We have always tipped when we have moved, but have not tipped for deliveries. That will be changing for me now.

:) I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

jeankeri said:
LizinSTL- Thanks for the breakdown of what the people make. I always thought that the cost you pay to have something delivered didn't make it to the actual people who do the work. We have always tipped when we have moved, but have not tipped for deliveries. That will be changing for me now.

I took the majority advice and tipped.
Three guys were here about 20 minutes. They brought in four separate pieces (five actually but will explain at the end), they were probably heavy. One guy definitely worked harder than the others and if going by who deserves it, it would be him--not so much the other guys. He was the one who drove, told the other two what to do and got on them a bit about how to take care to not mess it up.
When they finished I offered them cold bottled water to take with them. Someone posted this...I always offer a drink to repairmen, delivery guys, anyone working. Very appreciative of that, maybe more than the tip. The hard worker had me signing the papers and I put 3 $5's down (I'm not as generous as some of you). I think he'll assume since I gave him the three waters that he is to distribute the 3 $5's. I honestly don't care if he keeps it all for himself, though. The other guys were out of the house so fast that I don't think they had any expectation of a tip whatsoever as I couldn't possibly have ran and caught them to hand it to them. Those that tip--do you usually just give it to the guy in charge?
I appreciate all of your comments. kinntj--I'm sort of with you, dh with think it is ridiculous that I tipped them. I see what you are saying LizinSTL. ITA, StephMK--I don't like how so many workers have to count on consumers tipping them because their employers assume that is what will happen.

I'm sure many will think a $5 tip/person was too stingy. I know it's hard work. But, I thought a $5 addition to their pay for 20 minutes of work was reasonable. Plus, after paying for the furniture and delivery I am feeling a little too cheap to hand out $30. If there had been 2 guys, I probably would have tipped $10. I had 4 $5's in my pocket.

OH--the fifth piece--they started bringing in a chair and since I was getting a sectional I thought that it might be part of it. Then they brought in the other half and asked where I wanted the recliner (which was a perfect match for my sectional). Of course, I told them that I had not ordered a recliner. They apologized and took it back. I would never do that, never. But, I heard one of the guys outside say, she just gave away a complimentary recliner!

Again, thank you everyone. I feel like I did the right thing.

We tip furniture delivery guys; carpet guys; cable guys; blind installer guys; all the time - We always give them a cold drink - and if DH isn't home to do the tipping and I have to tip them (if its lunch time) I say, here, have lunch on us....or if its afterwork time - I tell them to get a couple beers on us.

Cindy's Mom said:
We tip furniture delivery guys; carpet guys; cable guys; blind installer guys; all the time - We always give them a cold drink - and if DH isn't home to do the tipping and I have to tip them (if its lunch time) I say, here, have lunch on us....or if its afterwork time - I tell them to get a couple beers on us.

You tip the cable guys? Wow. I'm sure they appreciate it, but I have never heard of anyone tipping the cable guys...I may be completely out of the loop! I do always offer a drink, cold usually, but have put on a pot of coffee, too to any person working in my home :goodvibes . Carpet intstallers I have tipped because they went above and beyond.
But, it just goes back to what every tipping thread does...where does it end? I'm not going to tip the plumber or the lawn care company, etc. Employers need to take better care of their employees, IMO. We have a grocery chain here that pays its employees well and treats them with respect. One service they provide and insist on providing is bagging your groceries and taking them to your car. DH tried to tip when we first moved here and the guy wouldn't accept. Later we learned that they are not to be tipped, it is their job and they are being paid a decent, fair wage to perform this service . We need more businesses like this. It isn't fair to begrudge a worker a meager tip who is expecting, but what businesses are doing isn't fair either: they charge us for the service and then expect us to pay more so they don't have to pay their employees fairly. That's just how I'm starting to see it, the more I think about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter